Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the sake of the argument I will accept that there are many capable 120Hz tvs in peoples homes.
And its a bigger chance that an XSX owner owns one, but that is not the same as everybody will notice the tears, which I doubt very much.

If the tradeoff was wait 6-12 months before releasing and that meansreleasing after Sony, I think tearing at 120Hz is something MS said ok to.

But I sincerely doubt this is more than a storm in a teacup outside console warriors, enthusiasts and tech people if even that.
the hyperbole is seriously out of proportion for the issues at hand.
I agree, its only because MS decided to market the console as most powerful one, which many understandably took as "3rd party machine" and 0 exclusives which highlight the issue of 3rd party games performing worse, even if you need stills and magnifying glass to see it.

There's lots of new technologies being implemented into these next generation consoles. It's going to take a while for compatibility and proper testing equipment/tools to catch up. Not to mention changes in testing and methodologies which will continue to evolve as well.

All these technologies will take time for developers and consumers alike to adopt and adapt to. I would not be holding any one thing one console does over the other too much during this transition period. Also important to give outlets like Digital Foundry some slack as they adapt as well. There's so much material that must be considered.. and of course they'll do their best.

Not really pertaining to DF, but has there been anyone who's tested the quality of gameplay/screenshot capture from both the new consoles? I'd like to see an article or video comparing the process of capturing gameplay videos, and screenshots.. as well as quality comparisons between them.

There's lots of new technologies being implemented into these next generation consoles. It's going to take a while for compatibility and proper testing equipment/tools to catch up. Not to mention changes in testing and methodologies which will continue to evolve as well.

All these technologies will take time for developers and consumers alike to adopt and adapt to. I would not be holding any one thing one console does over the other too much during this transition period. Also important to give outlets like Digital Foundry some slack as they adapt as well. There's so much material that must be considered.. and of course they'll do their best.

Not really pertaining to DF, but has there been anyone who's tested the quality of gameplay/screenshot capture from both the new consoles? I'd like to see an article or video comparing the process of capturing gameplay videos, and screenshots.. as well as quality comparisons between them.
I would need the same game on both ;) I'm just too cheap to do it. I can make a quality capture on both, but it would be apples to oranges comparison

I would need the same game on both ;) I'm just too cheap to do it. I can make a quality capture on both, but it would be apples to oranges comparison
Yeah, that would be ideal. Are there any demos of multiplat games which are available on both?

I'd love to compare quality and file sizes.

That said though, do you have any opinion on which console does the better job in this regard?

Yeah, that would be ideal. Are there any demos of multiplat games which are available on both?

I'd love to compare quality and file sizes.

That said though, do you have any opinion on which console does the better job in this regard?
I left them at their default record state, and I generally don't record any sort of playing. But I'll get some F2P titles like Fortnite etc and set them to 4K or 1080p and see how they do. I haven't really inspected this feature, I'm not really a screenshot/movie capture type of person. The share button does nothing for me ;)

I appreciate what DF does and it keeps MS & Sony honest, but I agree that a loss of a few fps or some screen tearing here and there is a tiny tempest in a teapot. Things will improve. What MS really needs are 1st party games actually going gold.
Totally, but the issue is MS said they had a whopper and since getting it out and comparing with the competition it’s impossible to see where the extra bit is hiding ;)

Sure but lets not jump into any conclusions yet, i agree that AC:V and Dirt5 may not run optimal on series X but at the same time looking at what the coallition has done with gears5

Digital Foundry also got to see the Gears 5 benchmark running on the Xbox Series X and performance was almost identical to a PC equipped with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card.

The "juice" is there

Sure but lets not jump into any conclusions yet, i agree that AC:V and Dirt5 may not run optimal on series X but at the same time looking at what the coallition has done with gears5

Digital Foundry also got to see the Gears 5 benchmark running on the Xbox Series X and performance was almost identical to a PC equipped with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics card.

The "juice" is there
Gears 5 was a heavily optimized title as a base to begin with.
It's just ported and patched. Not meant to diminish what is a beautiful game or what they did.
Compared to new games that needed to be optimized from end to end, pretty big difference, especially when you consider optimization comes closer to the end of the cycle.

I don't think people are saying Xbox isn't capable from any side of the discussion.

The "juice" is there

Isn't this the statement that was misquoted and Digital Foundry were actually talking about a 2080? Not that I'd be surprised to see the Series X approaching the 2080Ti in optimized titles based on the spec.

It was indeed a 2080. It was a bit under an RTX 2080 in fact.

And thats the XSX GPU for a optimized game. PS5 around the same level abit below.

More intrestingly, are you going to do a Godfall PC/PS5 analysis? This game is truly next gen imo, like the last DF video noted. I have it on PS5 now (getting the PC version later, no RT there atm), and it looks drop dead amazing, you can see its done for the next gen hardware and not cross gen. Very close to DS, you need to experience it to appriciate.
Too bad XSX misses out on this at launch, its one of the few titles really pushing it atm. This game loads fast, very fast (few secs for a load).

Anyway, from my short 'analysis' the PS5 version seems to run it at 1440p with 'epic' settings, with some reduced like shadow detail (and some others i think).
Pc version does have RT but only on AMD stuff, RTX gpus get it soon in a patch.

The "juice" is there

Juice is definitely there, it's sweet and berry and tasty. But how hard do devs need to squeeze the fruits to get the juice out, is the question. It's looking like so far, at least with 3P devs on the platform, they need to use a bit more force than what's needed with Sony's.

Once MS sorts their stuff out I don't see that level of hard squeezing required, but a spade's a spade; some of these multiplat comparisons aren't doing their marquee platform's image that many favors.

Damn, all the shit DF gets for their work, because it does not please "one side" or "the other".
Fanboys are worse than covid. Hope they keep doing their good work though, for normal people...Even if the harassment must be hard to live.

Definitely. I've seen some posts in other spots and some people are insane enough practically demanding DF drag MS through the mud, call them trash, call Xbox trash, and just blast them to the moon, otherwise they must surely be on MS's payroll. They think DF suddenly need to play up theatrics and get AVGN when offering otherwise constructive criticism (and I say that as someone who likes at least early AVGN stuff).

It really makes me question the mental and maturity level of the average hardcore/core gamer, and then add in how new console launches just have some spellbinding effect on them amplifying the stupid to heightened levels.

great video -- huh, wonder if this is the first sign its more of heavily based on how the renderers are put together rather than an all around issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back