Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Leave Cell alone !

2. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Well alone. Just like Sony should have.

Shoujoboy, PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  3. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

Playstation 3 had price parity with the 360 within a year after its launch in NA and within 7 months in Europe. The head start on the market that the 360 had is a better argument imo. 360 also had better 3rd party game versions in general and more robust online services. Brand power, 1st party games and Blu-ray worked in favour of PS3. Regardless of how much each mattered there was a huge swing in marketshare from the previous gen.

Xbox one lost the 3rd party advantage. It too was expensive, but had price parity very soon after launch, but got hammered in the market. Early impressions matter and positives are better than negatives :smile:

Shoujoboy, egoless, thicc_gaf and 2 others like this.
  4. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

We aren't dealing in absolutes here or even the technical prowess of the consoles but the optics on social media during year 1-3 that maybe has an influence.

I'm not saying you wrong just that I think these things have an impact these days, I don't necessarily like it. Social media seems to bring out a mob mentality.

egoless likes this.
  5. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

I am more curious why it is allowed to release the games in such half baked state.

I know that the Internet and patches are easily accessible these days, but c'mon at least some quality control. (Oof, in the past if the game ran bad, you had no choice but to deal with it...) I wonder if the developers have the tools similar to DF so they can check the performance without DF telling them what are the issues:-D

6. goonergaz

Veteran

Head start, better price, better versions of 3rd party games, far more exclusives, better online, achievements and brand loyalty (US product in largest market) - so many reasons the X360 did ok. Still, with all that in mind WW PS3 sold more launches aligned.

egoless likes this.
  7. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

You need to share which games are so bad you consider them half baked and what makes them half baked.

8. goonergaz

Veteran

There's clearly something going on when details or performance are significantly lower (at points) on the more powerful console

9. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

360 was sucess, PS3 almost put Sony 2 feet under. I think from this gen there will be lot less focus on units sold as games start to widen their horizons with cloud streaming and services, it will all be about revenue.

goonergaz and thicc_gaf like this.
  10. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Is that the same as half baked? I bet you most people will not notice and DF says that in 120fps mode, due to VRR the better play experience is on XSX.

Definition of half-baked
    1a: poorly developed or carried out

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/half-baked

11. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Dirt 5 is a recent example (I mean c'mon it is pretty obvious that for XSX they either used Xbox One profiles or something similar. Outer Worlds I recall had the similar issue - it seems having a lot of consoles creates some trouble). Or Watch Dogs where game saves might reset you progress; quests in Valhalla that prevent the main story progression. Also fall in textures...And not to mention that ancient evil aka Screen Tearing that has its second coming...

I am afraid of the future Bethesda's games, because they had all these bugs from the very beginning:-D Can't imagine what they can achieve this time. At least with MS QA it might be better but who knows.

12. Insight

Newcomer

13. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I couldn't find any links to support this. Both Sony and Microsoft experiments with super cheap low-end consoles and maybe there was a bundle/sale where this was a thing?

14. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

don't know console settings but frames in 4k mode looks quite good, to comparison
    [​IMG]

15. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Whoa, that resolution mode. What is happening there? Dropping as low as ~30 fps

16. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

I doubt its running in Ultra. Here is RDNA2 in Epic Quality 4K.

[​IMG]

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  17. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Nice, but yet another new generation of hardware where:
    - Weapons still clip through the character/clothing (@London Geezer ).
    - Environments are mostly static (those immutable coin mountains, ugh).
    - Character attacks break the ground... but eventually the ground stays intact and the debris magically disappear after a few seconds.

Nothing feels next gen anymore, bar the graphics (and then not all graphics feel that next gen either). But yeah, I guess some developers are working on other titles that will really wow us on other things rather than just the expected graphical upgrades.

18. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

PS5 seems close to 5700XT in raw performance it seems? The more taxing charistics of this game could be due to its designed as a next gen title, its not on PS4/OneS etc.

Just wait some years :)

eloyc likes this.
  19. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Inferior system or immature tools you decide.:runaway:

See what I did there... :mrgreen:

DSoup and PSman1700 like this.
  20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Great job. I’m nearly sold to buy the game. Keep it up. It’s the coolest racer so far imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.