Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

1. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

It looks stunning to me, and imo the best looking game this generation (of the finished ones that is).

2. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

Dang, switch doing some really neat graphics!

#722 PSman1700, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    jlippo and pharma like this.
  3. chris1515

Veteran Regular

This looks so good. I find it more impressive than Ratchet and Clank or Kingdom heart 3 on PS4. It reminds me a lot of TO 1886 which was craft so well it was difficult to find something bad in the rendering with a very linear game and a scope not as big as open-world or wide linear game. Here the scope is not the biggest one but it looks good and the art, physics and animation blend so well.

#723 chris1515, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    DSoup, pharma and PSman1700 like this.
  4. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

It's good for being on the small switch/hardware, shows again what developers can do optimizing for certain hardware :)

5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Thats what I noiticed too and was commenting to afrienad the other day. The art style and use of lighting makes the game equally pleasing to games on more modern hardware

6. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

I agree, but if you look at an even broader context, it's a game developed only in few years and with a small team. So the final result is rather impressive in terms of productivity.

I think you're going way too far... Ratchet and Clank looks much better than this :

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

'Better' is subjective fer cryin' out loud! Please, this is B3D and you've all been here long enough to know not to argue pointlessly about subjective opinions. If you want to compare and contrast games, do so with some reference to the technologies and techniques and artistry on display. If you just want to say you prefer the look of a game, you can, but don't go arguing that someone's personal preference is different to your own.

8. chris1515

Veteran Regular

It is a personal preference. I hope we will see game with this artstyle on next generation 4k at 4k 30 or 60 fps. It would look great.

After Ratchet and Clank is rumored to be one of the first PS5 games. I will probably change my mind.

#728 chris1515, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. Mihailjones

Newcomer

It looks good, for a switch game. But it is nothing special vs ps4 games.

It could look even better on faster hardware, but it hides switches limitations pretty ok

Imo it looks good because most of the switch games look like trash (res& details) so contrast is bigger than when comparing ps4 game to another good looking ps4 game.

To me more interesting thing is that devs should do more games like this or old school ports like ghostbusters.

Because these kind of games hide the weaknesses better, instead of trying to make games like witcher 3 to run on it = they just look too gimped and ugly

Old games or simpler graphics Look better than low res "modern" games on switch

milk and Recop like this.
  10. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

Cartoon-y art directions just naturally lend themselves well to approximating CG. The Ratchet & Clank games on the PS2, PS3, and PS4 have been my personal barometer over the last few generations. Luigi's Mansion 3 looks to sit somewhere between PS3 and PS4 Ratchet & Clank. Which is exactly what I'd expect.

Not to decry it. It looks great and the interactivity of the environment is something I'd like more games to lean into - The Order 1886, for example, is still one of my favourite looking games this generation, but its environments were so bloody static that there were odd blips of discordance between how real it looked and how fake it felt.

And if the Switch's shitty smartphone CPU can pull that off, there's presumably scope for the shitty laptop CPU's of the PS4 & XB1 to cope.

11. Panino Manino

Newcomer

Nothing much to say here.
    Just a few dips on cutscenes and one mirror that drops 5 fps. But the Pro in 1080p output renders the game in 1080p instead of downsampling, which remover all the dips and makes the framerate flawlessly.

PSman1700 likes this.
  12. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

Same story as with HZD then, which is a good thing. Going to go for the pc version later on, don't feel much for SP gaming right now anyway.

13. DavidGraham

Veteran

So essentially the X1X is running a mixture of Low and Medium and few High PC settings .. a 580 can barely hit 4K30 though using that mixture. DF is still experimenting with PC settings to find the exact equivalent to X1X.

Silent_Buddha and PSman1700 like this.
  14. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

The One X seems very close to a RX580 indeed, a very powerfull console for it's time. RDR2 must be quite taxing if it's running rather low settings on the one x.

15. techuse

Newcomer

The X has more bandwidth. Maybe thats the bottleneck for the 580.

16. DavidGraham

Veteran

I theorize the 580 is currently running some options higher than the X1X. DF needs to precisely calibrate the settings to achieve like for like comparison, instead of eyeballing them.

Remember, the X1X is running the game with some options below the lowest PC settings.

#736 DavidGraham, Nov 9, 2019 at 12:13 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:45 AM
  17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

We also don’t know how much CPU might be affecting the options here. It’s one thing to be comparative to a 580; it may be another to lack the CPU to do some pre-processing. Not trying to defend X1X; just thinking out loud on this one; why some options might be; below low. Like how we saw massive frame rate swings when moving to the Ryzen processor. Extrapolate that backwards to jaguar and perhaps some things had to be changed to keep it locked 30.

#737 iroboto, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:23 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 1:44 AM
  18. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

It could be as simple as bandwidth and cache configuration allowing XBX to maintain a more stable frame rate. Or perhaps just a bit more tweaking to get 580 up to the task. They are pretty comparable, though.

19. Dictator

Newcomer

Yeah we have that in our end game video/article. Precise to the point of absurdity.

Also, according to the game config... async compute is default off. That would have affected RIch's performance there.

20. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Rockstar hands over the new and enhanced RAGE engine to the PC userbase with its new port of Red Dead Redemption 2. But where do you start to tweak a game with this level of settings tweaking options? Alex delivers a detailed breakdown of EVERY setting in the game, along with the settings equivalent used in the Xbox One X version of the game.