Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Arm

Legend

Performance looks pretty reasonable when you set it like for like with the one x settings.

PSman1700 and Shortbread like this.
  2. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

A bit of a far cry from The Outer Worlds then?

3. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I'm still perplexed by the hideout campgrounds abysmal performance that carried over from the consoles. No matter if it's set for 30fps or 60fps, the act of traversing through the camps are sluggish and annoying. As if Arthur is lugging bricks around when entering the hideouts. Sometimes I just want to run to my damn horse Rockstar – not moonlight walk!

DSoup likes this.
  4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

With all the the posts on reddit and other forums about the performances &bugs, I wonder if now is the right time to make this kind of videos. I wouldn't be surprised if we see massives gains in a few patchs...

5. DavidGraham

Veteran

There might be a chance that DX11 will be faster. If they ever implement the game in DX11.

6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I hope. This would make creating a SLI-profile much easier. Far more DX11 SLI configurations available in NV profile-inspector.

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Love the DF tech analysis, and comparing to the One X. Im wondering though, what settings are the base consoles running? The most powerfull console gets the most coverage and that's nice but the base consoles are what the most experience on console :)

It's quite a difference between the One x to the high (er) pc settings, all those small details together make the difference. The moon/GI is a feature that makes a big difference right away in special at night.

#747 PSman1700, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    pharma and milk like this.
  8. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

9. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

There's a patch that addresses performance on quad core cpu's as of today, meaning you won't need a 6 core or more at all. Makes sense as about any quad is faster then the jaguar found in consoles.

Shortbread likes this.
  10. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

One of the best looking games this gen.

11. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Why does he say the last decade hasn't been exciting? I don't think Star Wars has ever been played more often. In Battlefront 2 the servers are still very well filled after two years. Star Wars: The Old Republic also seems to be played by a lot of people. On the other hand, this game game here will hardly be played after a few months or even weeks. I don't know if I'm gonna buy it. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

#751 Jupiter, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  12. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Get used to this, the game will also prevent you from running in other mission-specific scenarios as well, along with removing other abilities. It can be very jarring.

Shortbread and iroboto like this.
  13. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

Is Eastenders better than the Godfather because the former is still on people's TV's across the UK?

14. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Why aren't SW: Battlefront and Star Wars: The Old Republic exciting? I've been playing Star Wars games since the '90s and never played as much Star Wars as I have in the last decade. I think that goes for a lot of people. The epochs, mechanics, worlds, characters, music, dubbing voices of Battlefront 2 are also very good. I can confidently say that there has rarely been a better Star Wars game. In Fallen Order, the extreme Exophthalmos of one human character already frightens me off a bit. It looks like those eyes are about to pop out.

15. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Yeah I know (completed on X). I was just hoping R* fixed that issue so that my second time around wasn't bogged down in poor camp traversal.

16. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

So did Digital Foundy have vsync on for all of those test? They switch from triple buffering to double buffering for part of it, but who ever uses triple buffering on PC? Vsync in itself is rare on pc. People tend to play vsync off with tearing. Also, would be interesting to see gsync/freesync tested for input lag. Or mouse and keyboard input lag vs controller.

CeeGee, Jupiter and PSman1700 like this.
  18. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

It was used because xbonex uses it too ? So they can compare lag in relation to fps only ? That's what I understand, maybe i'm wrong.

19. CeeGee

Adaptive sync testing at a higher frame rate on PC would be an interesting follow up to the article.

20. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

This is based on...? Of course people play with triple buffering, which is why there are utils to force it, and ime most games automatically engage it when you enable vsync. Games that employ hard double buffering are awful if you can't maintain 60fps entirely, hard drops to 30 then back to 60 is a world apart from just dropping to the mid 50's for a brief period.

If I had a 120hz or freesync display sure, I might go without vsync, but tearing is awful on 60hz displays. When it happens on console games, devs can mitigate it somewhat by restricting it to the upper portion of the display, but it's all over the play when it happens on the PC (unless you control it with RivaTuner's scanline sync, but then that requires sufficient GPU headroom, which defeats the point if you're just at the performance edge in a game).

Regarding the DF video, as a user on the ResetEra forums pointed out, the biggest difference from their experience was the input lag when just moving the viewport, which doesn't involve any animation. Supposedly the PC version is much better in this regard, but DF didn't test just moving the camera which is an oversight.

#760 Flappy Pannus, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.