Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

I expect next gen games to look better than this, even with much more complex worlds.

Otherwise, i would be disappointed...

2. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Be ready to be dissapointed then for the most in the beginning.. Usually at the end of a generation games tend to look close to next-gen games graphics, hence the comment 'sneak peak at next gen'. Black on PS2 wasn't that far off from early PS3 games, late PS3 games weren't that far off from PS4 early games etc. That and tech jumps aren't as big as they used to be. Not many devs lay as much time as guerilla/hideo does into art, detail and development either, or have the same amount of skills.
    I for one think DS looks better then last of us 2, hzd spiderman rdr2 etc, as all those games look more current gen then DS does. Even the gameplay seems more next-gen in the way that a whole world can transform into another right before your eyes, and the idea that it is hybrid singpleplayer/multiplayer.
    That's the 'disadvantage' of creations like this, they overlap the generation of consoles, the pc version might even look like many ps5/scarlett third party games if not better.

MGS2 btw wasn't the gens best looking game, not even close. It was the best for the time of release, but not for the whole 6th gen. DS does that though (not counting SC or UE tech demo's)

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

Is that really a lot of geometric complexity compared to most other open world games which have a lot of trees or other foliage?

Edit: I would expect that a game that has little to no foliage to have more ground contour and detail, because ... there are no trees or foliage.

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  4. Panino Manino

Newcomer

The terrain really do looks better than Star Citizen.
    I really don't understand how this game can look so good and solid, with practically no artifacts and pop-in visible, while maintaining a solid frame rate. And people say that it's like this even on Vanilla PS4.

Also, the character model "from Konami" are the best in this industry.

5. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Abit hard to compare, star citizen is very inconsistent, but agree the terrain is much more polished in DS but that's also what the game kinda has going for it. SC looks much better in other areas though.

6. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Which areas?

7. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

The game has many levels that have dense foliage on offer if you watch more videos, especially the one from Gamersyde for that pristine 4k quality. The foliage density is also Decima's strong suit, we've already seen HZD done it before, DS takes it to a new level by even populating moss and willows on rock surfaces for extra density. The game is truly a polygon pusher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

goonergaz, pharma and PSman1700 like this.
  8. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

The lighting in that second screen is unreal.

9. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

I watched some more videos and the game has one noticeable issue : you can spot some low resolution textures too easily...

10. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Yeah it's exquisite :), I can almost smell the fresh air of Greenland just by looking at it.

PSman1700 likes this.
  11. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

What about the base units, they are being left out these days, but if the premium version already run like this then one wonders about the base ones.

Oh and great work Alex, very high quality tech analysis, keep them coming :)

#711 PSman1700, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    BRiT and pharma like this.
  12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Don't forget that while Obsidian was recently acquired by MS, they didn't have those resources during development.

Basically Outer Worlds was developed by a relatively small indie (AA) team when compared to the teams and budgets that are associated with AAA development.

Regards,
    SB

Michellstar and BRiT like this.
  13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If you don't have much on screen, you can spend all of your rendering budget on the few things that are actually on screen. Looking at what's been shown it looks good but when looking at it in context, it's not particularly impressive compared to something like RDR2 which has so much more in each scene.

Individual components may be less detailed in RDR2 but there's so much more that there is actually more overall detail in RDR2 than Death Stranding in any given scene.

Hell, if someone wanted to only render a desk. They can make it a pretty damn impressive looking desk compared to a desk in a room in a world.

That's not to take anything away from DS. It does look good...for what it does. But it doesn't attempt to do all that much in any given scene, at least from what I've seen so far. I find HZD more impressive, personally.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 likes this.
  14. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

We'll have to wait for kojimas next game to put that theory to test. Desk Stranding. Where you play as a bureocrat issuing delivery requests to the characters of this game, shedding a new light into othes parts of this beautiful story.
    Starring Jarred Harris, the game will revolutionize gaming, where you take full control of the desk items, with carefull management of the protagonist's grip of the pen (sholder buttons) to not let him drop it, nor break it.
    I'm excited already.

15. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

16. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Nice video. :)

This reminded me, has there been information about how the GI tech has evolved from the 6 time of day bakes in Horizon?
    Also at least for me the image looks to be sharper than in Horizon, did they change the checkerboard method?

I cannot wait to find out more about the changes they have done and properly see the game myself. :)

PSman1700 and Dictator like this.
  17. SlmDnk

Regular

Really? Looks quite flat to me.

18. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Highly recommend you to check out Gamersyde's DS review, that high quality 4k video really makes a stark difference to the YT feeds. It's like going from PS3-PS4 in texture res jump :lol2:

jlippo and chris1515 like this.
  19. chris1515

Veteran Regular

jlippo likes this.
  20. Barrabas

Regular Newcomer

Yes, what he said....unreal..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.