Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

2. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I wonder if this is a combination of actual input latency along with different handling of gamepad analog deadzones and/or mouse input.

milk likes this.
  3. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I'm really enjoying Star Wars Jedi the fallen order but the graphics aren't that good as a whole. Certain things look very nice but some other not good at all. In fact I would go as far as to say the graphics combined with performance is not very good at all.

4. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Console killer? Don't thinkso :p

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

You should see the Gamer's Nexus review ... lol.

6. dobwal

Legend Veteran

what hardware?

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

A wild guess is one of the base machines.

8. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Ryzen 2700x
    16GB ram 3200
    Gtx 1070

Finished it yesterday, enjoyed it solid game. Production values wasn't as high as I thought it would be though.
    Lots of bugs and very little enemy variety.

9. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

So there is scope for MTX's after all?

• Want the game to run well? Buy the "Jedi Optimisation" DLC!
    • Tired of the shortage of enemy types? For only $700 you can add three new slightly different foes with our "Covered in Sith" DLC!
    • Want lightsaber amputations? Buy the "Jar Jar Clone Troopers" DLC, which replaces every enemy with an instance of a fully maimable Gungan twat!

You know what, I think that last point has just talked me into buying this game.

JPT likes this.
  10. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Lol, stadia doesn't do too well, against the one x it did bad, against the pc version things are even worse. Reading comments everywhere, Stadia doesn't recieve a very warm welcome.

11. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

I hope my founders pack arrive before Google decides to shut it down. :)

Scott_Arm likes this.
  12. Scott_Arm

Legend

There must be plots available.

https://gcemetery.co/

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Someone needs to update that website. Stadia isn't listed in the Near Death section yet. :twisted:

14. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

well at least it has a 60fps mode like you said you hate 30fps games, this makes stadia above Xbox One X.

15. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

That 60fps doesn't outweigh the fact that the game is a blurry mess, the latency problems, and massive data usage. Higher frame rates are worth much but not to the point where it doesn't come close to local gaming in it's other aspects.

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oof, that would be a brutal choice. Only 30 FPS but with sharp graphics or 60 FPS but with extremely blurry graphics filled with compression artifacts.

I'd just give up on gaming that wasn't simple puzzle games or point and click adventures. :p Or my favorite guilty pleasure...idle clickers.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 likes this.
  17. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

He wasn't even serious, obviously.

18. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

I belive that for the main body of people playing games, price and convenience are the most important things. People on this board, usually do not fit into that group.
    I saw DF video that was posted above, except for stuttering I think this would be good enough for most people, including me. And I own a console, because I do not want to be PC tech guy at home to play games (Also I cant stand windows). The downgrade from PC Master race to console peasant is worth it for that alone and maybe Streaming (Stadia) drone might be the next thing for me ;)

As for the stuttering/latency, I am quite sure that can be fixed, you just need have 3 parameters fixed

1. Datacenter to stream from close enough to the player
    2. Player must have enough bandwidth to support the households peak bandwidth needs, but traffic shaping is possible of course.
    3. CPE with good QoS solution and/or traffic shaping.

#1 is coming, Google always building new Datacenters, same with Microsoft, Sonys Playstation Now has launched for most of EU.
    #2. Caps is ofcourse an issue, but pay a bit extra for unlimited Stadia data and higher speed cable/fiber is coming more places. If I was an ISP with cable/fiber and traffic caps, I would eliminate those caps now to combat 5G, to force 5G providers to also drop caps/metering.
    #3 Currently there are some Gaming routers on the market, but most of those are trash, but look bufferbloat project and we will/can get there. Especially if they get some more of the parts into silicon, but in the end you just sacrifice maybe 10-20% of your bandwidth to not have stuttering and wacko latency/lag. It's mostly a CPU issue on the cheap routers anyway. And do not use wifi for gaming if you can avoid it.

As for Stadia it self, I did not get my founders pack yet, supposed to arrive on Monday the 25th. But from the bits and pieces I have read/seen, it does not seem to support multiple profiles/users and the pricing modell is also not something I am totally comfortable with. Ie if Stadia shutsdown, I can not play the games I have paid for at all. With current consoles you at least download the games to your console and you can play them as long as you have them on that console. Maybe it does not matter, because going from PS3 to PS4 and through the PS4 gen. I do not really want to play any games I have already finished anymore. Thats me, YMMV.

Small caveat, I would not mind having Critter Crunch and Trash Panic on the PS4, without having to subscribe to Now. And I never got around to finish Spec Ops: The Line, but not a big deal either.

Maybe this post belongs in the Stadia thread?

PSman1700 likes this.
  19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

For people where price is the main driving force, how many of them can afford the type of internet connection that would be required for a good Stadia experience? Currently it requires the best internet connection you can get just to get a "passable" if compromised experience.

You're trading off a one time console hardware fee for local play versus a continuous monthly subscription fee for a compromised streamed play experience.

Granted PS+ and Live Gold impact that if you also want multiplayer but even then the value proposition over an entire generation is still going to favor buying a console as that will be the cheaper way to play games over a 5-7 year period.

If you've got a large library of quality games (like say the Game Pass library) as part of the subscription that that would be one thing. But as it is, you'll still have to pay for most of the games. Currently out of the 30-ish (was it 30? or was it 20?) games available on Stadia...only 2 of them can be played with just the subscription fee alone.

Regards,
    SB

#779 Silent_Buddha, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  20. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.