Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [PS4, XO]

So I take it this game isn't very popular here but was thinking about picking it up for to see the HDR and stuff. For anyone who's played it is there a good diversity in environments? I've seen quite a bit of Prague hub area and some underground stuff but kinda worried if that's mainly what's on offer here. Do we get to explore more of the metropolis like that huge dense city scene in the initial trailer? Don't wanna running back and forth just in Prague hub most of the time. Is the game worth picking up at all?

You'll be undertaking one lengthy and rather spectacular looking trip into a slum city for the augmented, but for the majority of the game, the Prague hub is all there is. Some of the story missions are set outside the city walls as well, but they are usually indoors. The singular hub is my biggest beef with the game. Because even though it's designed fantastically well, no amount of neon signage is ever going to change the fact that Prague looks more like an idyllic city on the inside of a snow globe than the nighmarish dystopias that were Detroit or Hengsha from Human Revolution.
It also feels somewhat dated. Not from a technical point of view, but certainly in terms of artistry and gameplay.
It's still a good game I think. Just not as good as its predecessor. Overall I thought it was rather disappointing.

Thanks for the impression, looks like my biggest fear is true after all. Level diversity in games is rather important to my experience, so it sounds like it's quite limited, oh well I might wait for a further price drop then.

Yep, level diversity is not the game's strength. Neither is its narrative. So much so that I completely tuned out at some point. In all fairness, I have almost no recollection of Human Revolution's story either. Level design is terrific, though. Oddly enough, it's in the game's plethora of optional side missions where the design truly gets to shine. The main missions are your typical, line-of-sight stealth slogs, though.

That's disappointing indeed, maybe they ran out of budget or time but creativity wise cyberpunk verse should have endless of opportunities.

There's this guy on youtube called Mark Brown, that does very well writen and presented game design critique on a channel called Game Maker's Toolkit, and he made an episode about this game's choice to do a small area VERY well, over a bigger but more shallow one. He gives many exemples and brings quotes from the devs acknowleging that deliberate choice. Agreeing with it or not, is worth checking out the rationalle behind it.
Look the video up, I'd post a link but am on my phone. But it's worth the 10 mins.

There's this guy on youtube called Mark Brown, that does very well writen and presented game design critique on a channel called Game Maker's Toolkit, and he made an episode about this game's choice to do a small area VERY well, over a bigger but more shallow one. He gives many exemples and brings quotes from the devs acknowleging that deliberate choice. Agreeing with it or not, is worth checking out the rationalle behind it.
Look the video up, I'd post a link but am on my phone. But it's worth the 10 mins.

I'm completely in favor of smaller spaces simulated down to the last detail over large, relatively empty ones. That space better be really interesting, though. And in terms of gameplay and systems, it actually is in Mankind Divided. Thing is that this was also the case in Human Revolution. Except instead of one big hub you got 2 smaller, thematically more interesting ones.

I think Dishonored 2 is much better than Mankind Divided. They are basically the same kind of game.

Mankind Divided was disappointing for the reasons Sigfried said. Prague was not especially cyberpunk-esque at all, but also remember it's only 13 years from now. Which makes the game unbelievable in general IMO. I didn't even like the Golem City mission much though. I didn't think they built enough of it. It looks quite interesting from a distance, but not the bulk of what you play in. The overall gameplay didn't feel improved at all from Human Revolution either. It feels almost identical I think. The new abilities were meh. And the ending is very lame, designed for DLC perhaps.

I would prefer a next game to go forward toward the original Deus Ex timeframe instead of this near modern day approach.

Last edited:
I was more about promoting Mark's Brown channel than deffendinf Deus Ex... hehe, I don't know him, but its a good channel and I wish him success. Worth a check.

Got this from the sale on the US store which ends today. Prologue wasnt exciting at all, and HDR seems meh. Atleast in the opening areas it is meh. Game felt clunky, which is not what I was expecting at all. Hope its better later. Shelving ti for now as my brain cannot stop itself from playing Skyrim SE ! Goddamn that OLD game is not old at all :D !

Wait until you get to the night time part of the game to see what I still think is the best example of HDR in a game yet. On my TV at least..
Oh that sounds nice. Hope it is, cos during day I can see visible addition of depth in Witness and Homefront in HDR whereas here except for the blown out highlights coming into clarity Ic ant tell if HDR is on or off during day scenes. Sure there is a addition of contrast but nothing "I cant play without this" kind. Whereas once u see Witness of Homefront in HDR, u just cannot play without it. Doesn't seem like the case here, will chk out the night scenes tomorrow if I can.
Or maybe its just my not so capable TV not showing me the greatness of this and Horizon inn HDR.

Back