Revolution info/speculation from ex Nintendo employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali-G

Banned
Ok take it how ever you want to and don't shoot the messenger :) This info is supposed to be from a ex Nintendo employee currently working on a Revolution title published by Sega. A lot of it is stuff we've already heard just fleshed out a little bit and some is new (not sure how much is knew in the bit I've quoted though).

It does all seem quite plausible, nothing outragous here, so it could very well be real. Its also very long (if you want absolutely all the info given anyway). But I'll just quote the initial comments and post a link to all the rest of it:

Aries Says:
April 26th, 2005 at 4:41 pm

Here you go:

Brooke got some things right, but much of it is flawed. I don’t know whether he just made up a lot of that stuff, because many of the points have been disproven before. For instance, Game Informer wrote an article on the next generation consoles in which it claims the Revolution’s controller will have one giant touch screen. I’m thinking this is where Brooke got that idea. The Revolution will not have a touch screen. Iwata has stated this before. The controller will be quite normal in the sense that it will have a d-pad and buttons. Like I said, I’m not going to tell you the revolutionary aspect of the system. Nintendo has some cool pre E3 plans for that.

First off, the 3D visuals he mentioned have nothing to do with the system. Nintendo isn’t crazy.

It will also have gyroscopic controls, but like Brooke said, not all the games will use it. For instance, earlier I mentioned Nintendo has a Halo killer in development for the Revolution. This game will use the gyroscopic controls for aiming as wel as other things. Our game isn’t using this function.

The controller will be wireless; he’s right about that. As you also know, the Xbox 360’s controllers will be wireless as well. Where do you think they got this idea? That’s why Nintendo is still trying to determine what to show at E3. From what I’ve heard, they will show the design of the system as well as games. I’ll tell you about the software later though.

The controller will also be pressure sensitive. The pressure you put into it will determine certain things, such as movement. This is another optional capibility. Someone on Nintendo’s board mentioned this months ago. They said that “touching is good, but feeling is better.†This may sound strange, but it provides great controls. Racing games will really be helped by this control setting.

The Nintendo Revolution will also include voice control more advanced than anything seen so far. Nintendogs is just the beginning. To achieve this, Nintendo sent us headsets (similar to ones you can use for Xbox Live) that are wirelessless communicating with the console. Imagine being able to merely call for an airstrike or reload your gun by giving out commands orally. So far, we have put this feature to the test the most; as you can see, I’m excited over this feature.

From a graphical perspective, the Nintendo Revolution is very powerful. Many people seem to think this won’t be the case, but rest assured. The games I saw while working at Nintendo were very beautiful. I’ll tell you about those later.

As Nintendo has stated before, the system will be online. In my eyes, the online system they have set up is the most revolutionary part of the system. While Sony and Microsoft are busy turning their systems into trojan horses for their other electronic devices, Nintendo is going to use the Revolution for direct communication with gamers. The only way I can describe it is as an internet service. Imagine turning it on and checking your mail on the system. You see previews and demos of DS and Revolution games that you can download. A magazine similar to Nintendo Power will be exclusive to the system, and you will be able to access it on the Revolution’s homepage. As you check you mail, you will also see various invitations from gamers on your buddy list who want to play you. There are so many other ways this is going to be used. Once the Revolution comes out, there will be no reason to hang out on message boards. Message boards as well as chat rooms will be available on the Revolution so that gamers can discuss and challenge each other all day. And the best thing is that the entire thing is totally free and easy to use. Why play Madden on Xbox Live when you’ll be able to play it for free on the Revolution with much better services?

That’s all I’m going to reveal for now. There are some very interesting games in the horizon for the Revolution; I’ll talk about them later.

Quote:
Aries Says:
April 26th, 2005 at 5:04 pm

Like Brooke said, console ideas are nothing without good games. Once you see the games, you will understand. I would go as far to say that the Revolution isn’t as revolutionary as Nintendo is saying. It should be called the Nintendo Simplicity, because every aspect I mentioned greatly simplifies the gaming experience. For instance, the pressure sensitive grips on the controller make racing games much easier to control and play. Wave Race (yes, it will be at E3) is going to be very impressive because it will use this function. It will be sort of like controlling a game with one of those stress balls. You squeeze it and you go faster. It’s hard to explain though.

Don’t expect to see too much if any of the controller at E3 though. Nintendo is still trying to decide what to show and what not to show. The games will be revealed, as well as specs and the system design. But the controller is still being considered.

To Jesus: when you see the voice controls, you will be blown away. Go back and watch some sci fi movies with voice controlled vehicles (such as AI or I am Robot).

Quote:
# Aries Says:
April 26th, 2005 at 2:14 pm

You guys are still talking about the 3D angle of that article? Check the date of the patent in question. This has already been used in a game that’s out right now. I would suggest you pay attention to IGN or N-Sider more.

Like I said, I’m going to give out some details on the next gen hardware, especially the Nintendo Revolution. You guys already know a lot of information on the Xbox 360; you guys have already seen the specs of the system. Gamespy released them around GDC. I was at GDC, and I’ll fill you in on some stuff that IGN can’t talk about. Specs and details on the Nintendo Revolution were given out to developers during the conference. I can verify that my company as well as EA and Midway received them at GDC. I’m positive other publishers received them as well.

From what I’ve heard, Capcom and Namco are sold on the Revolution and are currently playing around with the development kits. I don’t know whether they are actually making games for it though. I was suprised to hear that Square Soft has a game in development for the Revolution. It will be at E3 as well as some other next gen titles for the PS3.

I’m currently working on a game for the Revolution as well. I can’t guarantee that it will be at E3 though. I think people are going to be very suprised. When I worked with Nintendo, I was able to see the earliest builds of the system. It has come a long way, to say the least. There are a lot of graphics whores out there who feel the Revolution will be a weak system. They will be very suprised come E3. Microsoft is banking on stealing the show, but I think they will be upstaged by Nintendo as well as Sony. It’s going to be very funny to see them trying to get people excited about Perfect Dark 0 when both Nintendo and Sony will be showing off Halo killers.

Quote:
# Aries Says:
April 26th, 2005 at 3:28 pm

I’m not going to share specs with you because they aren’t really that important. I think Iwata said something like that when asked the same question. All three consoles are going to be very powerful, trust me. I’ll give you some information though: it will be more powerful than the Xbox 360. Much more powerful. Many gamers seem to think it will be as powerful as the GBA or something. That isn’t the case at all. From what I saw during my time their as well as our game, it will be very capible.

But having the most powerful console doesn’t guarantee that gamers are going to buy it. Software sells the games. And if that statement holds true next generation, the Nintendo Revolution will be very popular.

In my next post I will “spill the beans†on everything I know about the Revolution. I’ll give you some hints though. All the rumors out there are not mere rumors. Some are planted by people who are working on the consoles. In fact, Nintendo is doing this right now with the information they’ve released on the Revolution. You are going to see why Nintendo hasn’t just come out and said confirmed that the Revolution is going to be very powerful. You’re going to be punk’d by them in a couple weeks. Pay attention to the boards, especially Nintendo’s board. It’s much better than OurColony.

Quote:
Aries Says:
April 27th, 2005 at 6:10 am

Silicon Knights is not developing for the Nintendo Revolution right now. They will show off some Xbox 360 games at E3; I can confirm that. Matt saw the game, and he knows what they are up to. Once he is able to talk about it, he will reveal his information to you.

Like I said, I know as much about Resident Evil 5 as you do. I would guess it is going to be a current generation game. If Capcom could have it ready for the holidays (to combat the Xbox 360), it would come out then. But that’s just my own speculation (and hope; RE4 is amazing).

I can confirm that Nintendo is currently working on many Revolution titles. Most are just in the planning stages, but I have seen video of seven. I’m sure at least three or four of these games will be at E3 in video form. Perhaps more; we will see at E3. Outside of our game, there are six 3rd party games that I have heard of. As I mentioned earlier, Square Enix (happy now?) is developing a new game for the Revolution. EA, Sega, Zoonami, Namco, and Activision are currently working on games.

3rd party information:

EA is playing around with the Revolution’s capibilities, implementing them into another Madden game. This isn’t really news though. From what I’ve heard, they are really going out of their way to make this more than just a port. Voice controls are being used to the max in this title. Calling out audibles will be used this way. The wireless capibilities of the system are also going to be used. Like I said, there will be no reason to buy Madden for the Xbox 360 when the Revolution version comes out.

Sega is developing three games for the Revolution that should be at E3. I’m not going to reveal too much on what they are up to for obvious reasons. The three games I listed does not include the game we are developing for them. You will be very suprised at what they are doing. I’m sure you have heard of the Xbox 360 title Condemned that they are working on. This game is something that many wouldn’t expect Sega to make; you won’t expect what you will see at E3. The other game they have is a typical, quirky Sega game. It’s very interesting in the sense that it uses all the system’s capibilities.

Zoonami has already given out some hints on what they are working on. I have always felt that Sam Fisher is a much better character than Solid Snake. Zoonami just might have some characters that are better than both of them.

Namco is working on a Revolution game, but I don’t have details on it. I am sure that it is not a Soul Caliber III port. I don’t see why they just won’t add online play and Link and Ganon to the game and release it as a launch title. That would be a very smart move.

Activision is working on some ports for the Revolution. You will see what they have for the Xbox 360 at E3. At least one of these games will be ported to the Revolution for its launch.

On 1st party information:

Like I said, I have seen seven Nintendo titles, some of which will be at E3. When the DS was launced, it had one sub par 1st party game. This will not be the case with the Revolution’s launch. If they were to release all the games I’ve seen at launch, it would easily be the best launch ever for a console.

I can confirm that Nintendo is working on a new, orignal Mario game. In my opinion, the last few Miyamoto games havn’t been that interesting. This will change with this game. Like Mario 64 for the N64, this game will introduce all of the capibilities of the console. It will use the pressure sensitive controls mainly, but the voice controls as well as gyroscopic controls will be used as well. From what I saw, this game will use mini games to introduce many of these schemes. All of these mini games could be released as stand alone games.

A new Super Smash Bros. Melee is in the works as well. This game will demonstrate the online functions of the Revolution. Nintendo has added many new things into the game, included a deeper combat system. Many more special moves are included as well as some very cool suprises. The levels will include some destructible environments, and the characters will be fully customizable. Want to play as Mario in his 80’s outfit? Or would you prefer the 90’s look? It’s your choice. The most innovative part of the game is the different modes. In previous games, you were allowed to play in giant mode, metal mode, small mode, etc. That has changed. You will be able to choose to play in a “Paper†mode (a la Paper Mario), a cel shaded mode (Wind Waker), or Viewtiful Joe-esque mode.

As I said earlier, Retro is working on a Halo killer. This game is going to be one of the best games at E3. In my opinion, StarCraft was the best RTS ever. This game is going to use some similar ideas. In most FPS, you play as a hero trying to save the day. In Retro’s game, they allow you to choose which storyline you want to play, just like StarCraft allows you to play as Terran, Zerg, etc. Biological weapons will play a major part in the game. Imagine fighting in a chemical plant, where toxics are stored everywhere. By shooting them, you emit the toxic. If you get hit by this stuff, many different things may happen. For instance, you may lose sight on the screen, your controls might be inverted or slowed down, etc. Or, if your character gets the fever, the controller might get hot. Very hot. The alien races are very interesting also. You will be able to switch to 3rd person in order to move faster (similar to running in Odd World: Stranger’s Wrath). You will be able to “impregnate†human players by grabbing on to them for a certain amount of time. This will implant a NPC in them, which will burst out at your command, instantly killing the human player. You will then be able to use voice control to command the NPC.

There's plenty more here:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=45634

If you look down the thread it has more comments going right up to May 1st.

Expect this in every next gen console

The Nintendo Revolution will also include voice control more advanced than anything seen so far. Nintendogs is just the beginning. To achieve this, Nintendo sent us headsets (similar to ones you can use for Xbox Live) that are wirelessless communicating with the console. Imagine being able to merely call for an airstrike or reload your gun by giving out commands orally. So far, we have put this feature to the test the most; as you can see, I’m excited over this feature.

I dont trust this guys, looses too much time saying how Revolution will be this over Xbox 360 and blah blah blah.

I say BS.

"Kojima’s project with Nintendo is going to be very grand and bold. It’s not the kind of game Nintendo usually works on. From what I saw and have heard, it will be a mix between Zelda and Ninja Gaiden. "

Yeah.....and Konami would have its greatest Developer working exclusivelly BECAUSE????? Must be because the capcom thing worked so well with the gamecube...........yeah their biggest production wont be on the Ps3......right.......

:LOL:

I hope voice-control is optional. Most of the time, I don't want to wear a headset when I play, and sometimes I don't feel like talking to anyone. Which is why I've locked my door, closed my blinds, and got out the games in the first place! :)

If those rumours are true, then Nintendo would be further along in its developement cycle than everyone expects...
Anyway those "news" sound pretty interesting...

I dont trust this guys, looses too much time saying how Revolution will be this over Xbox 360 and blah blah blah

From what I see he seems pretty fair, he does not try to overly hype every aspect of Revolution.

Yeah.....and Konami would have its greatest Developer working exclusivelly BECAUSE????? Must be because the capcom thing worked so well with the gamecube

Where did it say Kojima was going to work exclusively on Revolution, it doesn't say that. BTW lets not get into fan.boy stuff, Capcoms games sold well on GC.

Old & unproven. I say wait two weeks

Some has already been said and some is new. I don't think heat producing pads is old is it? Or the info on Retro's new FPS for Revolution. There is quite a bit of new there.

Thats the problem, everything he said could be true. Yet it doesnt sound any different from what an average member of a videogame message board could speculate.

I read this at GAF in the morning, and saw some errors, that i cant remember write now but i was thinking to myself how someone suposedly in the "know' could get confused like that.

I lost the interest while i was reading and i dont get why the posts are getting atention. Most of it was speculated months ago.

I always tough that voice recognition is a good investment for play mechanichs and some of the uses in recent DS games are quite creative. Plus adding a mic by default in a game system isnt expensive, so at least having the option is smart. I say wireless, a mic and a gyroscopes would be great options with lots of potential.

I just remembered one the questionable coments: The one about the controller geting hot :)

Quote:
# Aries Says:
April 26th, 2005 at 2:14 pm

You guys are still talking about the 3D angle of that article? Check the date of the patent in question. This has already been used in a game that’s out right now. I would suggest you pay attention to IGN or N-Sider more.

What patent is he referring too?

Ali-G said:
Old & unproven. I say wait two weeks

Some has already been said and some is new. I don't think heat producing pads is old is it? Or the info on Retro's new FPS for Revolution. There is quite a bit of new there.

April 26th, 2005 at 4:41 pm

Old. Unproven. ;)

Can't you just wait for a couple of days, then it's all official.

Refreshment

What makes me think it might be real is the fact that its not crazy speculation. A guy on a messageboard might have heard all this and so could post it but they would almost always exagerate things. (Its got this speed GPU and it can move through time" ect :LOL: This post is just the right blend already rumoured info (only the believable ones) and new believable info IMO. I don't see why the bit about the controllers being able to heat up should be considered an error or should even be considered so questionable. Its more then possible and could be just as useful/interesting as rumble features.

Evil_Cloud

Well anything can be considered old, as time constantly passes. But usually when we say something is old we mean its already been posted here. There is stuff said there that hasn't been posted here AFAICS. So then its worth posting yes? BTW what's happening in a couple of days? Nintendo's pre- E3 conference is 2 weeks away. Or do you know of a leak or announcment coming earlier?

Apologize for not expressing myself clearly.

The control heating thing wasnt the error or one of the errors i saw, its just a questionable alegation.

But the rest seems , speculation out of a guy that reads alot about videogame news and rumors, like myself and alot of people in the boards.
Or an IGN editor, not that bad though :)

For example, remember those gyros patents or anouncements from years ago. Im talking about the Nintendo investment. So making an statement that we'll see gyros in a Nintendo controller doesnt require that the guy knows something we dont. Never the less, forgetting the fact that Nintendo has already used them. The mic coment, well some people were specting the GC controller to have a mic.

What im trying to say is that this isnt anything new or at least nothing that we havent heard speculation of.

If he is correct i dont have any problem apologizing and taking my comments back.

But so much has been speculated on already that surely all anyone in the know could do is confirm some rumours, deny others and add in a few new bits. Which is exactly what he does. Most of these kinds of posts focus completely on hyping up a system and talking about either unbelievable specs or incredible new features. But his post is reasonable and plausible. Most of all he doesn't just tell us what features and games Revolution will have, but also gives info on what won't happen and some info on XBox360 and PS3. So IMO this is definitely the good more believable kind of "insider info".

Just because the coments doesnt surf the wave of the ridiculous (holographic images) they become real. Plus he is so vague about everything.

In any case, in less than 2 weeks will know so no need to look much into this.

Dont you agree? :)

Ali-G said:
Most of these kinds of posts focus completely on hyping up a system and talking about either unbelievable specs or incredible new features. But his post is reasonable and plausible.

Well I think he is hyping it up quite a lot, he said that it will be much more powerful than Xbox360, says that Nintendos "live" is better and free, if Nintendo releases 7 games on launch, the launch is best ever!:D. Infact I think the whole text is pretty much hyping it up. Two more weeks.

I didn't say not posting crazy info makes something real, please don't oversimplify. I said that is one of the obvious signs of fake speculation and one of the things not present in his posy. Its a collection of things that makes the info seem like it might be real. In the end that's all anyone here can do to judge this kind of thing. Since we don't actually know the facts ourselves.

I agree we'll find out for sure in 2 weeks. But if we wait until everything is certain on every topic in this forum then the forum will be dead for large portions of the year. Speculation is not a bad thing, so why should we assume everything said about Revolution is fake and not speculate on it?

Dr Evil, your only mentioning the bits that sound positive to Revolution though. Yes he said it will be more powerful then XBox360, but he also said it will be less powerful then PS3 and hyped PS3 quite a bit. In fact I could probably quote him and make it look like he was hyping PS3 instead of Revolution :) He also talks about companies that are not making games for Revolution but are making very interesting games for XBox360 ATM. He even talks about some future GC stuff and has some negatives, for instance he says that Geist is a disaster. My point is he is talking positively about Revolution/Nintendo yes, that is what the blog is about mainly, but he also mentions negatives and talks positively about the other systems too at times. It is not just pure hype about Revolution like we would normally see from a post like this.

BTW he doesn't just say if Nintendo release 7 games it will be the best launch ever. He says if they release all the games he's seen/heard of on launch it would be the best launch ever. He goes on to say that some of those games won't be launch titles though in his opinion.

Ali-G said:
Dr Evil, your only mentioning the bits that sound positive to Revolution though. Yes he said it will be more powerful then XBox360, but he also said it will be less powerful then PS3

I didn't notice anything about being less powerful than PS3.
He said it will be much more powerful than Xbox 360 and that if Nintendo releases the 7 games he's seen on launch it will easily be the best launch ever, now I'm not saying that's not going to happen, but combined with some other things he said, it sure does sound like hype to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back