Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I wonder what's the point of the vulkan version then. I guess tech preparation for the next installment?
Well, dx11 isn't bad at all, but has its limitations, especially if you have low end CPUs like the jaguar cores in the last gen.
Vulkan/dx12 allow a much more granular approach forany things. But this can come at the cost of bad optimization because developers in general tend to think they have everything under control until they no longer have. Dx11 is much more reliable when working with it and you don't need to have the full picture always in your mind. There are many more control structures that make it less frequent to create memory leaks or something like this.
Yes you can still create crappy code with dx11 but the chance to create crappy code with Vulkan/dx12 is much higher.

How does it run on Intel GPUs with dx11?

Well, dx11 isn't bad at all, but has its limitations, especially if you have low end CPUs like the jaguar cores in the last gen.
Vulkan/dx12 allow a much more granular approach forany things. But this can come at the cost of bad optimization because developers in general tend to think they have everything under control until they no longer have. Dx11 is much more reliable when working with it and you don't need to have the full picture always in your mind. There are many more control structures that make it less frequent to create memory leaks or something like this.
Yes you can still create crappy code with dx11 but the chance to create crappy code with Vulkan/dx12 is much higher.

How does it run on Intel GPUs with dx11?
I'm really just referring to BG3's case where I don't think CPU is limited by draw commands but rather gameplay logics (lots of NPC activities for sure).
Regarding Intel GPU, according to DF, DX11 actually performs better than Vulkan, which is rarely the case.

FYI The Control HDR+Ultrawide+DLSS+RT mod was updated a couple of weeks ago:

What's New in Version 1.5 See changelog

Released August 11
  • Improved dynamic shadow resolution when RT was on.
  • Improved ray tracing reflections quality (beyond how they looked originally, before the bug that broke them appeared, making them disappear or have bad noise patterns).
  • Improved DLSS quality (less ghosting, less blurry, less shimmery) by improving the exposure and using the C/D presets instead of F.
  • Tweaked film grain.
  • Improved 32:10 resolutions support.
  • Disabled the ability to take screenshots directly from the game when the 10bit SDR mode is enagaged (they would be broken and there's no incentive in adding support).
  • Update DLSS dll to the latest version.

Holy moly. This is the best looking game ever. Who needs Unreal Engine 5?

This doesn't surprise me at all. I told people to hold off on crowning UE5 as the ultimate or most capable new gen engine and wait for other studios to present their new tech.

It would be really fun if that game were to run much faster than the recently released UE5 titles.

I'd bet the farm it will run better and scale better with more favorable visual fidelity than UE5 across different classes of hardware.

Wait, I thought this title partnered with Nvidia? I'm guessing the lighting is no loner done with RT based on the language in that trailer.

Holy moly. This is the best looking game ever. Who needs Unreal Engine 5?

It would be really fun if that game were to run much faster than the recently released UE5 titles.
It’s a great looking game but they’ve got a ton of work to do. Hopefully this game lands well.

I'd bet the farm it will run better and scale better with more favorable visual fidelity than UE5 across different classes of hardware.
The trailer sports low res shadow maps, shadow pop in in the distance, not great motion artifacts (same as ue5)... I don't get it. It's the first multiple hundred million dollar graphics tentpole game we've seen next gen only, it looks amazing, but I don't see what's so much better than ue5 (or even comparable in every way) here.

The Unreal Engine games released so far have not been that impressive. But they weren't the most elaborate projects either. However, it doesn't always take giant projects to demnonstrate impressive visuals. See Control.

I'm curious about the graphics of Avatar. It's a title with ray tracing, large sceneries and a lot of vegetation which is not easy to handle.

When I consider how good Control looked in 2019, Alan Wake 2 with path tracing will be a very big contender.

Last edited:
The way I see it Nvidia is now calling path tracing also full ray tracing.

In Cyberpunk 2077, the beautiful full ray tracing delivered by the Overdrive Mode could not be achieved smoothly without the power of AI. DLSS Super Resolution (SR), reconstructs the 4K image from a lower resolution input, delivering a dramatic performance boost and great image quality.

The overdrive mode enables path tracing.

Last edited:
The Unreal Engine games released so far have not been that impressive. But they weren't the most elaborate projects either. However, it doesn't always take giant projects to demnonstrate impressive visuals. See Control.

I'm curious about the graphics of Avatar. It's a title with ray tracing, large sceneries and a lot of vegetation which is not easy to handle.

When I consider how good Control looked in 2019, Alan Wake 2 with path tracing will be a very big contender.

Remedy is a AAA developer with tons of experience and some of the best (in my opinion THE best) art direction in gaming. That’s a pretty high bar for the studios that have released UE5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back