Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't surprise me at all. I told people to hold off on crowning UE5 as the ultimate or most capable new gen engine and wait for other studios to present their new tech.

I'd bet the farm it will run better and scale better with more favorable visual fidelity than UE5 across different classes of hardware.

Like a clock with every big version. First there are amazing demos, promises of ease and efficiency. Then we have devs without strong technical /performance strenght choosing this on size fit all solution (and this time its "fits all size" all the way to not so realtime visualization/animation industry) thinking engine itself will solve every technical consideration under the hood for their title. Compared to custom engines results are often medicore with signs of cpu limitations, lower resolutions etc, whispers of not so practical gpu techniques. Only few tech oriented studios using it in later years make something impressive and performant.

Like a clock with every big version. First there are amazing demos, promises of ease and efficiency. Then we have devs without strong technical /performance strenght choosing this on size fit all solution (and this time its "fits all size" all the way to not so realtime visualization/animation industry) thinking engine itself will solve every technical consideration under the hood for their title. Compared to custom engines results are often medicore with signs of cpu limitations, lower resolutions etc, whispers of not so practical gpu techniques. Only few tech oriented studios using it in later years make something impressive and performant.
Situation is more complex than this. Remedy has excellent blog post about why and why not you should use own engine. Everything boils down to your team strengths.

I really recommend this read as it sheds light to topics that may be overlooked when discussing why particular team chosen engine x over developing own one.

I feel like Immortals of Aveum is the product of everything you just described above.

There's no perfect game engine. UE5 will have issues that other engines don't have and vice versa. I just don't understand why there's so much panic about an engine that's still brand new. It reminds of of whenever a new generation of consoles come out there's a chorus of people complaining about the launch titles saying the consoles weren't a big enough upgrade, and then by the end of the gen the quality of the games is ten times better. Then the next gen of consoles comes out and the same thing happens.

There's no perfect game engine. UE5 will have issues that other engines don't have and vice versa. I just don't understand why there's so much panic about an engine that's still brand new. It reminds of of whenever a new generation of consoles come out there's a chorus of people complaining about the launch titles saying the consoles weren't a big enough upgrade, and then by the end of the gen the quality of the games is ten times better. Then the next gen of consoles comes out and the same thing happens.

I don't think there's panic, but there is warranted concern over so many small and large developers transitioning to UE5 based on what seems like Epic's promise of "it just works" cutting edge tech. Fair point to say that Immortals is early days product of UE5 and to not judge too much into it, but I have a feeling even a lot of developers bought into the hype and abandoned proprietary tech before discovering significant UE5 limitations. Just my theory at the moment. Time will tell.

I don't think there's panic, but there is warranted concern over so many small and large developers transitioning to UE5 based on what seems like Epic's promise of "it just works" cutting edge tech. Fair point to say that Immortals is early days product of UE5 and to not judge too much into it, but I have a feeling even a lot of developers bought into the hype and abandoned proprietary tech before discovering significant UE5 limitations. Just my theory at the moment. Time will tell.
It’s real time lighting, shadows and geometry. There’s not really a way around this other than decreasing resolution to compute less pixels of it.

If you want to stick with baked stuff that’s doable, but it’s largely going to look like last Gen graphics with better textures and frame rate.

There's no perfect game engine. UE5 will have issues that other engines don't have and vice versa. I just don't understand why there's so much panic about an engine that's still brand new.
Concerns are partly down to marketing IMO. Loads of amazing looking demos and games in development for UE5, but the games being released aren't matching those early demos, and the layman doesn't understand that UE5 isn't a magic solution that should just make everything look like this:

It’s real time lighting, shadows and geometry. There’s not really a way around this other than decreasing resolution to compute less pixels of it.

If you want to stick with baked stuff that’s doable, but it’s largely going to look like last Gen graphics with better textures and frame rate.

Metro Exodus an RT based game looks more visually appealing in nearly every distinguishable way compared to IoA and scales very well between console and PC. I'm not completely writing off UE5, just making observations based on what we have so far.

Metro Exodus an RT based game looks more visually appealing in nearly every distinguishable way compared to IoA and scales very well between console and PC. I'm not completely writing off UE5, just making observations based on what we have so far.
You guys are delusional. This is what exodus looks like on low end. It's a big technical accomplishment by a great studio, but it runs broadly similarly to ue5 in terms of framerate and resolution when it has everything turned on, has far fewer features, and has extremely low geometry compared to a current gen title. (I'm sure whatever 4A makes will impress, of course!)

1693073920874.png
1693073683453.png

You guys are delusional. This is what exodus looks like on low end. It's a big technical accomplishment by a great studio, but it runs broadly similarly to ue5 in terms of framerate and resolution when it has everything turned on, has far fewer features, and has extremely low geometry compared to a current gen title. (I'm sure whatever 4A makes will impress, of course!)

View attachment 9465
View attachment 9464
The geometry pop in In open world sections are ridiculous in metro. I wasn’t impressed at all by this title.

View attachment 9465
View attachment 9464

Have you seen the DF Tech Review for Immortals that just released? I stand by my original comment. ME scales much better across platforms than Immortals.

It’s good. But there’s more to be desired there imo.

Situation is more complex than this. Remedy has excellent blog post about why and why not you should use own engine. Everything boils down to your team strengths.

I feel like Immortals of Aveum is the product of everything you just described above.

I have seen this some time ago and agree with everything, just want to point out how unreal engine hypecycle and results are repeating third time and enthusiasts are again suprised.

In Theory I would also agree with every word of Digital Foundry recent "crutch" explanation, but lately it realy feels like something is wrong with regards to specs and results on screen, baffling decisions even with wonderful multiplication tools. Hyped revolutionary techniques not touch upon, games barely looking better than better looking last gen ones( and yes not to look ignorant I can point every difference and its "weight" just diminishing returns hit me hard this gen). The more you buy the more you save, we belive in the generations etc. Almost like real technical progress don't matter anymore its all just scaled a little and nobody wants to tackle this head on demoscene style like Angelo Pesce ranted few years ago. Guess, i should not be surprised given slower gpu progress, prices and games budget required.

It manifests in art direction too. Maybe I am cynical but noticing more and more titles like forspokens immortals dead space clones with cringy art which screem " lets quickly mix together all the fantasy/sf cliches like in mobile games and spit this already". Yes i know that was mean for those working on them for years. I guess i should not be surprised not seeing grand cohesive ambitious visions like for example mass effect back in the day too given amount of politics involved in those large corporate teams on top of money at stake.

Still following daily all of this but my just ripening 0.5KG "Brutus" tomatoes excite me more than daily convenient bullshit in this industry /END OF RANT

Ohh maybe little joke of the day for enthusiasts looking for latest development in cutting edge technology. Microsoft implemented native Rar support in file explorer, brace yourself, benchmarks are out.

I guess It is now safe to turn off my computer

but lately it realy feels like something is wrong with regards to specs and results on screen, baffling decisions even with wonderful multiplication tools. Hyped revolutionary techniques not touch upon, games barely looking better than better looking last gen ones( and yes not to look ignorant I can point every difference and its "weight" just diminishing returns hit me hard this gen)
My opinion is that covid disrupted a lot. We've seen very few big tentpole aaa games this generation, let alone console exclusives. The tech demos and games we've seen from elite teams have all been very impressive in one way or another. Even cross-gen games like HFW have looked amazing.

I wouldn't say baffling but I also disagree with a lot of choices on screen in IoA (at least based on videos -- I haven't played it.) Every once in a while it seems to look amazing, but overall it didn't really come together, and maybe energies could have been focused on different places to get a better result. Of course, this is the first game by a relatively small studio, and I don't think they or epic deserve the kind of attitude people here are throwing around.

My opinion is that covid disrupted a lot. We've seen very few big tentpole aaa games this generation, let alone console exclusives. The tech demos and games we've seen from elite teams have all been very impressive in one way or another. Even cross-gen games like HFW have looked amazing.

I wouldn't say baffling but I also disagree with a lot of choices on screen in IoA (at least based on videos -- I haven't played it.) Every once in a while it seems to look amazing, but overall it didn't really come together, and maybe energies could have been focused on different places to get a better result. Of course, this is the first game by a relatively small studio, and I don't think they or epic deserve the kind of attitude people here are throwing around.

I'm not a resolution or die person by any means. I think 1080p is totally fine nowadays. If you had a very good upscaler then even sub-1080p upscaled can be perfectly acceptable (maybe not to 4k). In this case FSR2 is not a great upscaler, and try try to upscale from 720p is just too much. I think if they can get UE5 games running at 1080p60 and upscaling it'll probably be decent enough.

Remedy is a AAA developer with tons of experience and some of the best (in my opinion THE best) art direction in gaming. That’s a pretty high bar for the studios that have released UE5 games.

Control is the most artistically appealing game for me where it's also worth buying the artwork book.

Thank you. This shows UE5 where the excellent visuals are achieved simply by UE5's rendering - clearly UE5 isn't at fault for bad looking games!

What I find interesting is that since UE 5.2 Desodre also uses Nvidia's RTXDi.

Last edited:
Like 90% of internet discourse comes from quite reactionary sentiment. It's dull and annoying.

What I find interesting is that since UE 5.2 Desodre also uses Nvidia's RTXDi.
How does it different on AMD and Intel then? Also what's performance on this game like in comparison to other UE5 titles? How important is the DLSS3 Frame Generation in hitting framerates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back