Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

You confuse art direction and technology. Silent Hill 2 will use the same technology and will look better from your point of view because of art direction.
No I dont confuse, wrote few times understand is technicaly top notch as its on ue5 but still looks simple and bad (assets are still not impressive + graphic style)

This is time when we have much more powerful GPU and the API to do it. Even if API aren't perfect. This is crazy how much API limitation can block developer when the power is available since a long time.

EDIT: The game was CPU limited, the GPU were perfectly able to run this at 30 fps on old gen console. But the AI was too much for the Jaguar CPU.

Last edited:

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2844x1600. Pixel counts at 2844x1600 seem to be uncommon on PS5.
Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 3072x1728. The resolution seems to rarely drop to 3072x1728 on Xbox Series X. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 were found more often on Xbox Series X than on PS5.
Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1728x972. Pixel counts at 1728x972 seem to be uncommon on Xbox Series S.
Frame Rate StatisticsPS5XSXXSS
Mean Frame Rate59.97fps59.84fps58.35fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate56fps49fps42fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps59fps45fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate59fps56fps43fps

This is time when we have much more powerful GPU and the API to do it. Even if API aren't perfect. This is crazy how much API limitation can block developer when the power is available since a long time.

EDIT: The game was CPU limited, the GPU were perfectly able to run this at 30 fps on old gen console. But the AI was too much for the Jaguar CPU.
Was it, though? If you play the disc version of ACU (before they capped it at 30) on One X it outperforms the One S by a pretty large margin.

Yeah that’s an interesting take. Situation is better than ever was. Frame rates are better and we even have VRRs to help. Yet we complain that this is not the generation leap we expected and many are disappointed.

Yup, too many people that only look at static screenshots to determine whether this generation was a significant improvement or not.

Yes, in terms of static screenshots, it's certainly not and likely never will be a huge improvement. In terms of visuals in motion it's significantly better, IMO.

However, there is one caveat as Temporal reconstruction becomes more and more important, much will depend on how well the developer implements temporal reconstruction in their game. If not done extremely well, temporal reconstruction has the potential to ruin visuals in motion in favor of static screenshot visuals and then we're right back to games looking like poo in motion compared to a screenshot.

Regards,
SB

People will find something else to complain about. People are resourceful when it comes to wanting to complain. :yes:
I felt this one. I mean not like forum stuff. But at work. I managed a team that was the only team that was able to hit target for that business u it that year. I was given the worst performance rating I’ve ever seen in my career there. When i told my director this, as he was giving my review, he told me that it was HOW I achieved my goals that was the problem.

Never heard such bullshit in my life. It’s basically finding any reason to give you a low score because of X.

Then back to complaining its 30fps again ;d

Yup, because for many people 30 FPS looks horrible. It's a situation where to please the most people, it's best to offer a 30 FPS mode and a 60 FPS mode and if the developer wants then potentially a 40 FPS mode as well.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: snc
I don't know Sillent Hill 2 Remake, Tekken 8 and Fortnite runs at 60 fps. ;)
Fortnite looks bad, Tekken 8 its abvious as its fighting game (unfortunelty also look bad), Silent Hill 2 could image this game in 30 so nice they have 60fps mode. Generaly not saying there wont be any 60 fps games but defenitly not in same quantity as we have in crossgen time.

Back