Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Amazingly enough, they can! And that’s one of the reasons comparisons are interesting.
Lol! Indeed

Well yes. I guess in that sense you can. But if you have no intention of getting another console, then I guess you can't really

Doesn't Forza 7 use FH3 voxel based real time GI? Also I can't wait to see FH3 on Xbox One X :) Imagine FH4 o_O
I don't believe Voxel based GI is being used outside of a handful of titles. i think if it were using VXGI there would be more consistency in its lighting.
If you have sources that would be great.

Edit nvm: it does. My apologies, was confusing GI with realtime/dynamic GI. Which there are fewer titles.

Agreed, maybe they can implement the dynamic version for next Forza instalment :)

Last edited:
Yea I knew FH3 uses realtime voxel based GI. Since Forza 7 uses the sky tech in FH3 I'm thinking if they're using the same GI tech. If not that 4k 60fps sure makes it look boss with 4k assets

Driveclub just looks straight up better no two ways around it, full stop.
The amount of shaders, effects, geometry and mayhem on screen is on an entirely different level.

30fps game looks better than 60fps games. News at 11.
The question then becomes, is it better to be pretty or faster? I would suspect that in a racing game faster would be more preferred. But I don't generally play racing games , so what do I know?

Tommy McClain

Basically what impresses me about Drive Club is not the fact that it pulls out more geometry and texture detail allowed by 30fps. It is the attention to detail they put into it and the in house tech they developed to support those details. They went over and above the expected enhancements. They didnt simply use a straightforward solution to improve visuals. They added elements that are usually bypassed, forgot or ignored by most but it is those elements that make the world behave closer to reality. Other 30fps racing games didnt bother with those details. The developers tried to push as much as possible not just above a 60fps racer. It wasnt enough to make it look better. They wanted to make it behave as closer to reality as possible and they built the engine to support it.

30fps in DC is very playable and fast, perfect 30fps and good motion blur helps a lot.
Its direct competitor is obviously FH3 and it's a looker.
For me, i'd say FH3 has the edge in IQ and texture quality. It looks more gamey, colors pop a lot more
DC has a more realistic look, but IQ and textures are lacking in comparison. Still it has, to me, more detailed and better looking vegetation overall.

30fps in DC is very playable and fast, perfect 30fps and good motion blur helps a lot.
Its direct competitor is obviously FH3 and it's a looker.
For me, i'd say FH3 has the edge in IQ and texture quality. It looks more gamey, colors pop a lot more
DC has a more realistic look, but IQ and textures are lacking in comparison. Still it has, to me, more detailed and better looking vegetation overall.

Yeah the IQ in DC is what kills it. I d say the IQ is almost "awful".

Basically what impresses me about Drive Club is not the fact that it pulls out more geometry and texture detail allowed by 30fps. It is the attention to detail they put into it and the in house tech they developed to support those details. They went over and above the expected enhancements. They didnt simply use a straightforward solution to improve visuals. They added elements that are usually bypassed, forgot or ignored by most but it is those elements that make the world behave closer to reality. Other 30fps racing games didnt bother with those details. The developers tried to push as much as possible not just above a 60fps racer. It wasnt enough to make it look better. They wanted to make it behave as closer to reality as possible and they built the engine to support it.
I think a lot of us appreciate the dynamic GI that DC brings to the table, I'd be shocked if people didn't. It's rare to see that type of lighting in games in general, even today. The only games I can think of, 3-4 titles maybe, the same with the volumetric clouds. There is great attention to detail there with DC and that was their design goals.

wrt. other racers, in particular I know with FH3, they had to have cars as fast as a veyron zoom in any direction they want to freely and vertically. The type of streaming system that needed to be built to accommodate that is pretty much the major tech behind FH3. Not many open world games have to stream in world assets as fast as FH3 does, you're talking about 270-302 MPH in any direction?

Few, if any, other open world game supports speeds that fast, and to be forced to stream in those textures, with the driver being seemingly able to just handbrake turn or whatever the case is (hit a ramp and fly off into the air). It's amazing from a technical challenge. The Crew is the closest competitor in this regard and it takes what they've accomplished in already and they will bring it everywhere with the sequel; land, sea and air.

But we don't really "see" it, and thus these are kind of those silent but enabling technologies that no one ever celebrates.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Playground achieved a much better job on Xbox One. DriveClub might look more impressive in some aspects, but mainly because it's a linear game on a more powerful console. It should have been an easy win for Driveclub, yet it's not the case...

In defense of Evolution, they had many issues during the development of Driveclub. Maybe a lack of resources, i don't know...

Few, if any, other open world game supports speeds that fast, and to be forced to stream in those textures, with the driver being seemingly able to just handbrake turn or whatever the case is (hit a ramp and fly off into the air). It's amazing from a technical challenge. The Crew is the closest competitor in this regard and it takes what they've accomplished in already and they will bring it everywhere with the sequel; land, sea and air.

The challenge is also here when you have to deal with vertical gameplay : Batman, Infamous SS, Spiderman, Just Cause 3, etc.

Until The Crew2 is coming, i think that the king in this field is still GTA5 :

The challenge is also here when you have to deal with vertical gameplay : Batman, Infamous SS, Spiderman, Just Cause 3, etc.

Yes and its crazy with all kinds of physics, AI behavior depending on time of day and the situations in each environment that need to load on the flu. Cars, humans, animals, planes etc. Its crazy what these guys achieved. How much did that game cost to make again?

“If you playRed Dead Redemption, the fastest horse is the fastest you’re going to move in any direction and the game has got that time to think about it. Even if you fly a fighter jet in GTA, there’s no way it goes as fast as a Veyron because our Veyron goes at 270 mph, and it’s drawing in and still maintaining that level of fidelity that we achieved."

https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/com...s-share-the-secrets-of-Forza-Horizons-success

Speed :)

Vertical

Last edited:
Yes and its crazy with all kinds of physics, AI behavior depending on time of day and the situations in each environment that need to load on the flu. Cars, humans, animals, planes etc. Its crazy what these guys achieved. How much did that game cost to make again?
Unfortunately, no clue. I've never looked for budget costs behind FH. They tend to be marketed the year they are going to release. So I imagine the budget can't be too high. But after the success of FH3 I think that will change.

The technology was built from Forza horizon 1 so It's had time to bake and improve to get to this point. I wish I knew more. But I imagine being overshadowed by turn10 (at the time) won't get the same technical coverage as if it weren't leading it's own title. Im hoping that will change for them after FH3. They really did do a fantastic job.

Even if you fly a fighter jet in GTA, there’s no way it goes as fast as a Veyron because our Veyron goes at 270 mph

Ok, then the speed is not rendered correctly on GTA 5 because a jet is way faster than any car in real life.

Edit : at least it's true for JC3. The max speed for a fighter jet is only 409km/h :LOL:

This is not what i really call vertical gameplay :

Basically, you can go everywhere and you can potentially see the whole map of the game at any area of the game.

Last edited:
Back