Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Please describe the technical many areas over F7.

These are my observations:
4x More pixels native with no reconstruction
2x more FPS
Texture resolution
Car model polygons
Dynamic weather conditions
Dynamic puddles
16xAF
Some form of better antialiasing
Better LOD
HDR
Less artifacting
Less shimmering

versus:
Improved Lighting
Improved Shadows
And rain on a windshield

Nearly everything else is inferior by stat and most of the visuals are covered up heavily by reconstruction techniques and blur. DC is at its best during night and forecast and weather. DC is at its worst during the day. It's so incredibly inconsistent in that regard.

I respect what DC brings to the table, but it feels like by giving DC the nod here your tossing everything else into the wind which also have huge ramifications to image quality.
But the majority of the things you mention are just related to higher IQ settings due to more powerful hardware.

But the majority of the things you mention are just related to higher IQ settings due to more powerful hardware.
oh ok. Yea you're right. F7 is pretty last gen, they've introduced nothing new here, you've seen it all. Got it.

oh ok. Yea you're right. F7 is pretty last gen, they've introduced nothing new here, you've seen it all. Got it.
If you forgot Volumetric fog in your previous list, it means you didn't properly play the game.

Volumetric fog + lighting tech is phenomenal in Driveclub.

And yes F7 looks last gen in many aspects. They spent so much power making it run at 1080p60 on XB1 (or native 4K60 on XBX) that they had not much left to make it less sterile.

mario_kart_8_switch-3699976.jpg

Are you for real? :-|
im being realistic.
You're right everything I mentioned is only a direct result of having more power. Not sure how that doesn't apply to every graphical comparison in existence. But okay. You're commentary is not wrong.

im being
realistic.
You're right everything I mentioned is only a direct result of having more power. Not sure how that doesn't apply to every graphical comparison in existence. But okay. You're commentary is not wrong.

First of all I said
I cant help but see that Drive Club's technology is in many areas unmatched
I didnt say absolutely unmatched in ALL.
The link provided earlier mentions a list of the total things the game does. These are unrelated to IQ. IQ is Drive Clubs weak spot. But it excels in areas such as its dynamic daytime and weather conditions (In some cases, depending on the angle of the sun rays you might spot a rainbow. Thats the kind of detail put into the game).
Secondly yes we do make graphical comparisons based on the features you mentioned but they aren't the only ones. They are just a small part of what makes a game tick visually. These are not the only things that can make one game visually unique and sometimes even those settings cant help a badly designed game look better than another running on lower settings.
Technical achievement isnt only about pushing higher settings but it can also include special rendering techniques or unique featuresets. We also have cases where a game is considered technically a bigger achievement because it manages to push a lower specced hardware beyond its perceived limitations. And also lets not forget artistry. Bad artists and a game that pushes 16xAF, huge amounts of polygons, 8k textures, 8k res etc wont make a game look good.

edit: And just to sum up, the point wasnt to demonstrate that Forza 7 isnt impressive. It was to show how impressive Drive Club is even on lower specs. Now if it annoys some people because I didnt say Forza 7 is the most impressive thing ever and totally anihilates every racer in existence in every category, thats not my problem.

Last edited:
how much processing power does SSR take ?
Because i've always been impressed to see SSR almost on every reflective surfaces in driveclub, even on trackside objects (cars, roadsigns, buildings windows etc...)

Technical achievement isnt only about pushing higher settings but it can also include special rendering techniques or unique featuresets. We also have cases where a game is considered technically a bigger achievement because it manages to push a lower specced hardware beyond its perceived limitations. And also lets not forget artistry. Bad artists and a game that pushes 16xAF, huge amounts of polygons, 8k textures, 8k res etc wont make a game look good.
Okay, well according to this if napkin math Forza on 1X has 8X more load, but only 3x more power than PS4.
Napkin math, for DC to run on F7 settings on 1X, you'd need 14.4TF of power.

The only difference is that you don't value high frame rate, or resolution since it does nothing for artistry.
If you don't value it, you don't value it, but imo, the graphical level they achieved with F7 with the hardware, is significantly better than any other 4K native game out there. And I think it comes very close to DC, but overall consistency is better than DC.

Lastly, why don't we wait until the final title is out before calling it as it is.
F7 at 30fps vs F7 at 60fps below: Some people just love 30fps.

It's like F7 weather isn't even comparable for some reason, I don't get it. Its pretty damn close to DC, except it's actually clear.

Shadows generated by headlights? Here too!

Last edited:
Drive club looks like crap. I remember buying it dirt cheap and expecting a great looking game based on gaf’s hyperbole and boy was I disappointed when I booted it up on my PS4. Too bad because the first two motorstorm games, esp. the second, looked amazing on the ps3. As far as 30 fps racing games go nothing comes close to FH3 and damn I can’t wait to play it on the Xbox one x. Between this and forza 7 the Xbox one x will be a racing game powerhouse .

Okay, well according to this if napkin math Forza on 1X has 8X more load, but only 3x more power than PS4.
Napkin math, for DC to run on F7 settings on 1X, you'd need 14.4TF of power.

The only difference is that you don't value high frame rate, or resolution since it does nothing for artistry.
If you don't value it, you don't value it, but imo, the graphical level they achieved with F7 with the hardware, is significantly better than any other 4K native game out there. And I think it comes very close to DC, but overall consistency is better than DC.

Lastly, why don't we wait until the final title is out before calling it as it is.
F7 at 30fps vs F7 at 60fps below: Some people just love 30fps.

It's like F7 weather isn't even comparable for some reason, I don't get it. Its pretty damn close to DC, except it's actually clear.

Shadows generated by headlights? Here too!
edit: And just to sum up, the point wasnt to demonstrate that Forza 7 isnt impressive. It was to show how impressive Drive Club is even on lower specs. Now if it annoys some people because I didnt say Forza 7 is the most impressive thing ever and totally anihilates every racer in existence in every category, thats not my problem.
:-|

DriveClub still looks better. Forza 7 only has a much superior IQ on X, but IQ is not everything.

However :

- Forza 7 Xbox X = 8 times more pixels per second than Driveclub

- 6 vs 1,84 = about 3 times more powerful

So, you can't produce as much as graphical effects than Driveclub when you have to push 8 times more pixels per second with a console that is only 3 times more powerful than a PS4.

In order words, DriveClub has much more compute power per pixel than F7 on X.
Dude no offense, but do you realize thats not how graphics scale. eg if you make an image 4x larger its typically not going to run 4x slower etc.
eg looking at the latest benchmark on anandtech, gaming performance
Ashes of the Singularity 1080p 43.4fps = 90Mpix/sec
Ashes of the Singularity 2160p 35.1fps = 291Mpix/sec

so you have the same hardware, same game, yet vastly difference Mpix/sec results depending on the resolution

Dude no offense, but do you realize thats not how graphics scale. eg if you make an image 4x larger its typically not going to run 4x slower etc.
eg looking at the latest benchmark on anandtech, gaming performance
Ashes of the Singularity 1080p 43.4fps = 90Mpix/sec
Ashes of the Singularity 2160p 35.1fps = 291Mpix/sec

so you have the same hardware, same game, yet vastly difference Mpix/sec results depending on the resolution
No offence taken. I said napkin math. I have no clue what the loads are at all. But it's just as troubling as someone telling me that DC is pushing the PS4 harder than F7 is pushing X1X. What is optimized? Who knows. That why comparison threads blow and this shit is always on repeat with the racing threads.

Back