Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Ok, then the speed is not rendered correctly on GTA 5 because a jet is way faster than any car in real life.

Edit : at least it's true for JC3. The max speed for a fighter jet is only 409km/h :LOL:

Well the speed is what the developers want it to be. Or at most what the engine can handle. Mainly speaking though, anything too fast and players can't control it and you leave the game world. Airliners go 500+km/hr on a normal flight. I'm sure jets are going way faster as their standard cruise is probably closer to super sonic, at least some fighter jets have cruising at that speed.

The videos I posted the cars are going 433 km/h :). I'm not sure if they can go faster.
I think it'd be unfair to compare to JC3, since they are also responsible for blowing all sorts of stuff up. I'd probably stick closer to GTA and the Crew for similar load comparisons.
This is not what i really call vertical gameplay :

Basically, you can go everywhere and you can potentially see the whole map of the game at any area of the game.
I'm not sure how streaming tech works fully, but I do not know if being high up, slows the LOD change down drastically enough so that it's not very taxing on the engine. I really don't know, but flying is impressive in a game that is also very close to the ground.

But you should watch the FH3 speed limit video, you really get a sense of how quickly something will come in and out of view. It's a pretty amazing thing.

Last edited:
Btw Forza 7 looks great and the detail is top, but something about the lighting breaks the photo realism expected from a title like this. I can't define whats at fault .
You can easily see something is "broken" during replays and free cameras where the title still looks gamey/CGIsh despite the GI, high res refletcions and shadows.
On the other hand I am not sure what Polyphony Digital does so differently, but they manage to communicate a more photorealistic image. What are they doing differently?

@Nesh Forza never looks particularly real to me either. I'd be interested to see what Forza looks like with the colours desaturated. Something about it definitely looks too clean/flat to really be realistic.

Forza 7 material work/properties is still largely the same, giving off the same weird cartoony look majority of time. Outside of the photogrammetry materials that look more realistic on the new Dubai track, everything else pretty much looks like Forza 5/6 especially noticeable in the same track/time conditions.

B85c.png

forza 6
fm6sauq5.jpg

forza 7
fm71mumr.png

@Nesh Forza never looks particularly real to me either. I'd be interested to see what Forza looks like with the colours desaturated. Something about it definitely looks too clean/flat to really be realistic.
I dont think denaturation is going to help. I tried looking at my captured video with desaturated colors, and there is still something off compared to a normally saturated GTS video.
I would agree about the clean/flat feel

Forza 7 material work/properties is still largely the same, giving off the same weird cartoony look majority of time. Outside of the photogrammetry materials that look more realistic on the new Dubai track, everything else pretty much looks like Forza 5/6 especially noticeable in the same track/time conditions.

B85c.png

forza 6
fm6sauq5.jpg

forza 7
fm71mumr.png
Ok that took me by surprise. The track and lighting are almost identical down to the trees and the skid marks

Ok that took me by surprise. The track and lighting are almost identical down to the trees and the skid marks
I don't have the final game, but that looks like NBR, and I don't think they will re-do NBR after it came so late to F6 (or was it F5, I no longer recall). I do wonder if it's entirely possible that they used the F7 track for F6.

Btw Forza 7 looks great and the detail is top, but something about the lighting breaks the photo realism expected from a title like this. I can't define whats at fault .
You can easily see something is "broken" during replays and free cameras where the title still looks gamey/CGIsh despite the GI, high res refletcions and shadows.
On the other hand I am not sure what Polyphony Digital does so differently, but they manage to communicate a more photorealistic image. What are they doing differently?
This has been the series sort of 'thing', that everyone is able to pinpoint. I'm not sure if it's a stylistic choice, a pipeline problem, or a load issue. It would appear though, that photomode can 'deal' with some of that. And at other times it can't.

I can't really pinpoint it either, but you're right in identifying that something about the way Forza is lit has consistency problems when calibrating to real-life.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...-What-s-happened-to-graphics.aspx#post_775921

"Forza 5 = static lighting, no weather, no night time racing = ramped up graphical settings and track side details.

Forza 6 = added static weather with rain and puddles, added reflections on track surface, added reflections from water on the car. Also added static night racing, including working headlights = reduced track side details and graphical settings due to technical limitations of the xbox one console.

Forza 7 = better weather, night and lighting system; more details added = even more reduction of track side details.

Conclusion = The more things people want T10 to add into the game, and the of those things T10 do work towards (as an example, weather and night time); the more the technical limitations of the xbox one will show though. To keep the game at a stable 60fps on the console, they will need to farm what extra resources they can from other area's; namely track side detailing. Its the way this stuff works, optimize the game to add new things."

If T10 is at this point with FM series and XBO, I imagine if there is another in this franchise before next gen, I expect to see some form of reconstruction, or dynamic res over native.

Is F7 pic from the X/PC version?

I don't think so.

Another comparison (thanks to Neogaf) :

screenshot_20170929-1okxs0.png

Better weather but less polygons for the track.

PC2 looks pretty good on PC :

bpcars2avx2017-09-271nijp5.png

But the most natural lighting is still on GTS :

brands4rzkrhmqjck.png

In this comparison, i don't know if it's the PC version of PC2.

Last edited:
It sucks that they had to lower detail in order for the weather effects but considering how some of these more "purist" driving games can be - frankly boring - I'd take the weather effects.

Also Forza series is starting to remind of COD where there is a release every year with bare minimum done to the graphics. It just becomes about churning out enough content for next years release with minimal expense.

Back