Call of Duty 4: Modern combat trailer up

I'm probably the biggest Resistance fan here, but based on gamersyde videos (one was 60 fps), I say CoD4 is more impressive. I'd agree though art has a lot to do with it.

I think some people might under appreciate fantastic looking multi-platform titles because they can't be used in silly system wars arguments. CoD4 and Assassins Creed are perfect examples of this.

I think some people might under appreciate fantastic looking multi-platform titles because they can't be used in silly system wars arguments. CoD4 and Assassins Creed are perfect examples of this.

Or some people formulate their oppinions on the visual fidelity of a game by actually playing it & not by stupid compressed internet videos..:rolleyes:

I think some parts of the graphics are great (reflections for example), but the textures are pretty repetitive and not so great up close (ps3 version).

yep... Assassin's Creed was the next coming of the savior until it was announced for 360 and then all of a sudden.... "meh"

CoD4 is suffering the same fate since it can't be held up as an example of what can be done only by the "Powa of Cell!"

CoD4 isn't a "technical powerhouse". It isn't doing anything new, insane, or pushing the quality of any single aspect of known technologies. In fact, I find some parts ugly.

That said, the overall game has a nice punch. 60fps, a lot of particles (and at times characters) on screen, solid texture detail, and so forth. I find it quite impressive that their foliage system draws grass very, very far out. Anyone who has played a game like BF2 or the like knows grass tends to vanish 50m away which detroys the gameplay (he he, that sniper thinks he is hiding in hip high grass he he). CoD4 tosses a lot of known familiar techniques (self shadows, normal maps, etc) and does it at 60fps.

Gears of War was fairly similar in its approach--not a lot cutting edge, but a lot of known/existing techniques leveraged at high qualities to give a good end result. Sometimes pushing proven techniques with a solid tool chain is a much more successful approach when trying to get the most out of your art. A whizbang feature may sound nice, but if the tools and experienced artists aren't there to maximize it and, notably, the expense ration cuts heavily into other effects it can be an overall loss in regards to visual impact.

A technically great game isn't always the best looking game. However you want to peg CoD4, the environments are quite varied and the art is solid and makes good use of their technology choices. And they deserve extra credit for getting a passable PS3 version out--that runs at 60fps. I don't doubt their technology choices played a role in this either.

I think some parts of the graphics are great (reflections for example), but the textures are pretty repetitive and not so great up close (ps3 version).
Huh, on the 360 anyway, one one my biggest gripes with the graphics has been the use of simple cube maps for reflections on things like the back of the scopes and the water. Are they doing something different on the PS3 version?

yep... Assassin's Creed was the next coming of the savior until it was announced for 360 and then all of a sudden.... "meh"

CoD4 is suffering the same fate since it can't be held up as an example of what can be done only by the "Powa of Cell!"

Remember the ridiculous hype about Assassin's creed and then it gets announced for the 360. All of a sudden, who?

Yes I remember, and that's what Tap In said.
Exclusive games tend to be hyped more than others. So what?

I think he meant that the same game first being for only one platform gets hyped. But then when it will be released for more platforms it gets the 'meh' stamp even though it is the same game with still the same features and graphics! :smile:

Tap In said:
I meant what's his point wrt CoD4 besides what has been said or known before.
It'd be nice if people could just appreciate all the games. :cry:

It would boring.

I think he meant that the same game first being for only one platform gets hyped. But then when it will be released for more platforms it gets the 'meh' stamp even though it is the same game with still the same features and graphics! :smile:

Yes he meant that (though I don't recall what AC looked like before X06, I don't think any features were revealed either).

If it's accurate it only means exclusivity is an additional hype factor and isn't exactly news.

Well... if you keep paying attention to fanboys, then that's what you get.

Most people forget that the extra CPU power can also be used for better sound (Some X-platform games already does that), more sophisticated physics and AI (sadly, only for exclusive games only -- See Uncharted).

I'm not convinced Uncharted represents more sophisticated physics and AI. Orange Box seems to have better for both.

Re: COD4 -- only playing on the PC version -- the AI isn't that impressive at all. I don't think this is a platform limitation, nor should it be discussed as one.

I'm not convinced Uncharted represents more sophisticated physics and AI. Orange Box seems to have better for both.

Everything included (to max out the extra power as much as possible) ? Facial expression, muscle emulation, blended animation, great shadow, hair, trees that sway with wind, good looking water, ... and then finally physics and AI ? I will have to play Orange Box to see if it does all of them.

pipo said:
Also, better sound?

Care to come up with examples?

I remember the DiRT developers mentioned in a E3 2007 interview that the PS3 version has better sound (something like 7.1 surround sound dedicated to 1 SPU ?)

These are all off topic though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back