• Wii

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • ps3

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • other

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
I can honestly see no difference between the xbox and PS3 versions, if online is important i would say buy the ps3 version, otherwise the xbox360 version indedd if you already have one xbox.

I played also the wii version. looks like cod1 for pc at low resolution. .. if you think controlling with the wii stick is important enough be my guest for the wii version

Does the 360 version not include multiplayer? Otherwise I do not understand your comments at all.

Does the 360 version not include multiplayer? Otherwise I do not understand your comments at all.

2nd most played online game on Live (behind GoW)

it has an excellent online MP mode. I play it several times a week in fact. fast, easy to connect, large battles (join games in progress), everybody has a headset for good team communication, several game types etc.

Kinda unfair comparison there considering the resolution advantage of xbox 360 and PS3 version are lost in those comparisons... That said, the Wii version looks pretty sweet. I would take the one with best graphics and framerate if possible. This game is all about immersion.

Kinda unfair comparison there considering the resolution advantage of xbox 360 and PS3 version are lost in those comparisons...

well besides being a rumor, evidently that resolution advantage must be brilliant on the part of 360 to be able to pull it off (scaler) and have the end result be as below.

IGN PS3
7.5 Graphics
Washed out colors, multiple collision issues, and a highly inconsistent framerate hurt what was a very good looking Xbox 360 game. Even so, its particles are great and there's a lot going on.
IGN X360
9.0 Graphics
This game oozes detail. Combine this with insane amounts of on-screen activity and you’re transported into WWII.
oh and back to the Online capabilities discussed above, re-reading those reviews I see that the PS3 online version does not have voice support at all. :oops:

well besides being a rumor, evidently that resolution advantage must be brilliant on the part of 360 to be able to pull it off (scaler) and have the end result be as below.
Actually I thought that what he meant was that 360 and PS3 versions have much higher resolution than Wii version and the video didn't show it off.

Are the Wii controllers unique and different, or are they better?

unique, definitely. different, of course. better? depends. Personally, I found the sword slashing controls in Zelda sometimes a bit annoying to be honest, at times I would rather just press a button. (and do, there are a couple of sword moves that can be done just with the button) othertimes though, it does become kinda naturally to shake the nunchuk to get rid of an enemy that caught and bites me.

You made a comment essentially saying that FPS are boring and generic and having to learn a new controller scheme makes the games different and therefore better.

Can't really comment on that since I haven't tried an FPS on wii yet but it's certainly possible. Some reviews seem to point to that too, for example see gametrailers.com video review of cod 3 for wii.

But is that all that it is? Is it just that you had to 'rrelearn' the controls in order to play? OR are the new controls better than the old?

again, being better or not depends on the game and the implementation. I guess it's widely accepted that Madden 07 for wii has better controls on wii than on other platforms but I haven't tried it yet so can't really comment.

What is better is definitely some of the wii sports and wii play titles. Bowling for example, I couldn't imagine getting into the game like that with any traditional gamepad or mouse/keyboard combo. Best example IMO where they really nailed it is the 9-ball billiards controls in Wii play. Now there's a game I would really pay more money to get more depth to the game. The aiming and hitting really make it the best billiards game ever, even as it is. Now if there more gameplay modes such as tournament / ranking gameplay, online multiplayer and most importantly less square, maybe longer table, maybe option to play snooker instead, I could easily see myself playing the game quite a lot more. As it is, its a nice demo with very best controls in a 9 ball billiards game ever.

And if its just different.... doesn't that lend itself to open up totally different debate about difficulty levels and whatnot?

In the cases where it's just different, well I guess game developers can come up with a good compromise on proper levels of autoaiming and such.

I guess the worst thing in the wiimote is the omission of another analog stick. Now if there was a dual analog wiimote, the issues of turning in fps games would be just gone. As it is though, we're back to single analog stick control compromises similar to N64 games, with a couple of tweaks that come with the motion sensing tech, still making turning fast enough quite clumsy, so far I've heard.

edit: speaking of another analog stick... it wasn't until third temple in Zelda when I realized how well the camera angles in the game actually mostly worked. Before that water temple thing, I hadn't even noticed I hadn't been manually adjusting the camera. Then when diving deep in a pool there I realized in that case it would have been helpful to adjust the camera but I couldn't do that since the other analog stick just isn't there :D

Assume you already have both the Xbox 360 and Wii, which version would you choose?

Below is a trailer comparing the various versions:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=15368&type=wmv&pl=game

edit: added ps3 for curiosity's sake even though its not available here.

There's no point in looking at a trailer in order to choose to be honest. We know which version has the better graphics without looking.. The only really important question to answer is which controls better, since that's the only reason for getting the Wii version. I don't know the answer to that question personally. So I'd suggest trying both games out first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine that the Wii would be so much fun that it could possibly counter all the reasons why you finally decided to get the 360 version. But it was close for you. It was an internal debate that you wanted some internet opinions on. Wow. Those Wii controllers must be really amazing.

If you don't like online multiplayer (many of us don't, actually...losing matches 75-3 because we don't play hours and hours every day gets old fast) or thumbtack controllers, it's actually worth thinking about.

Best example IMO where they really nailed it is the 9-ball billiards controls in Wii play. Now there's a game I would really pay more money to get more depth to the game. The aiming and hitting really make it the best billiards game ever, even as it is. Now if there more gameplay modes such as tournament / ranking gameplay, online multiplayer and most importantly less square, maybe longer table, maybe option to play snooker instead, I could easily see myself playing the game quite a lot more. As it is, its a nice demo with very best controls in a 9 ball billiards game ever.

Heavily offtopic, I know, but still:

You should go and look for Virtual Pool 3 for the PC. Bargain bin game (in fact you might not be able to find it in a shop by now). Basically it did everything Wii Play billiards does 10 years ago, but better. It has an awesome push-mouse-to-control-your-cue play style which allows far more nuance than I've so far managed to get out of Wii Play billiards. Not to mention multiple pool game variants, the ability to raise the cue butt to perform swerve shots, etc...

I like Wii play billiards, but at the moment it just irritates me how much it is missing compared to Virtual Pool as a simulation of the real thing. My girlfriend, on the other hand, was intimidated by Virtual Pool years ago when I attempted to get her interested, but is all but addicted to Wii Play billiards...... which rather proves the effectiveness of offering simplified games to cater for a different audience.

Back