Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Destiny seems a particular game of concern with OLED burn in due to aforementioned super bar, the other most problematic game according to one user being Zelda BOTW due to red hearts.

But thats just pulling up reddit posts on search something like "Destiny 2 OLED burn in". Some of which may be 3-4 years old.

Edit: I posted a bunch of reddit links here discussing Destiny 2 on OLEDs but they seemed to get borked

Overall thinking it over more I could probably get a 75 LED for the cost of a 65 OLED so given everything I lean LED again. OLED's are something else though, Best Buy has a SONY OLED and a SONY LED side by side and the difference is markedly in favor of the OLED. Which a bit surprised me.

Rtings burn in test didnt seem to show a ton of burn in on gaming but is a few yrs old now. In the comments they talk of wanting to do another long term burn in test with newer OLEDs but seemingly nothing yet, they say it takes a lot of manpower.

So the good thing about QDOLED is that no colour would burn-in any more than any other colour, as there is no other organic material to “burn” other than the base blue, which is then converted all other colours via the QD layer, which does not degrade. So the only way to “burn in” a QDOLED is by driving a pixel super bright, next to a pixel which is completely off, for god knows how many hours.
That’s one of the main reasons I’m so interested, apart from it being the new tech right now.

Last edited:
So!! Guess what I just saw in the flesh, in Selfridges Oxford St.! A brand spanking new Samsung S95B!

And… drum roll…. The whole ‘raised black’ thing is a total overreaction, no idea what Rtings were on about.

The place is filled with so many lights that it feels like a sauna in there, and the screen doesn’t have “raised blacks” any more than any other screen in there. Sure, the LG OLEDs are like a black hole but the difference is really minimal. And this is in a super bright room.

Unfortunately the staff won’t allow me to play around with the set and they were only playing the standard demo (dust or paint of different colours over a dark background), but I really just wanted to see what the fuss was about with the screen, so as things stand my A95k preorder is still on.

Destiny seems a particular game of concern with OLED burn in due to aforementioned super bar, the other most problematic game according to one user being Zelda BOTW due to red hearts.

But thats just pulling up reddit posts on search something like "Destiny 2 OLED burn in". Some of which may be 3-4 years old.

Edit: I posted a bunch of reddit links here discussing Destiny 2 on OLEDs but they seemed to get borked

Overall thinking it over more I could probably get a 75 LED for the cost of a 65 OLED so given everything I lean LED again. OLED's are something else though, Best Buy has a SONY OLED and a SONY LED side by side and the difference is markedly in favor of the OLED. Which a bit surprised me.

Rtings burn in test didnt seem to show a ton of burn in on gaming but is a few yrs old now. In the comments they talk of wanting to do another long term burn in test with newer OLEDs but seemingly nothing yet, they say it takes a lot of manpower.

My anecdote:

Even with my ridiculously bad luck with electronics, my lg CX still hasn't got any permanent burn in. Despite i used it to play destiny 2 and cyberpunk for hours. Also using it as pc monitor. A few times also left turned ON, displaying static windows desktop, overnight.

It does have ridiculously inconsistent image quality tho. In a day it can varies a lot. On the morning it looks superb and in the afternoon it got DSE or weird scanlines or banding or something else. Totally unnoticeable on most content.

Easiest to notice on graphic design work and watching anime with lazy animations that looks like a PowerPoint slideshow.

My anecdote:

Even with my ridiculously bad luck with electronics, my lg CX still hasn't got any permanent burn in. Despite i used it to play destiny 2 and cyberpunk for hours. Also using it as pc monitor. A few times also left turned ON, displaying static windows desktop, overnight.

It does have ridiculously inconsistent image quality tho. In a day it can varies a lot. On the morning it looks superb and in the afternoon it got DSE or weird scanlines or banding or something else. Totally unnoticeable on most content.

Easiest to notice on graphic design work and watching anime with lazy animations that looks like a PowerPoint slideshow.

I haven't run across the inconsistency myself and hopefully I won't (crossing fingers :)).

So!! Guess what I just saw in the flesh, in Selfridges Oxford St.! A brand spanking new Samsung S95B!

And… drum roll…. The whole ‘raised black’ thing is a total overreaction, no idea what Rtings were on about.

The place is filled with so many lights that it feels like a sauna in there, and the screen doesn’t have “raised blacks” any more than any other screen in there. Sure, the LG OLEDs are like a black hole but the difference is really minimal. And this is in a super bright room.

Unfortunately the staff won’t allow me to play around with the set and they were only playing the standard demo (dust or paint of different colours over a dark background), but I really just wanted to see what the fuss was about with the screen, so as things stand my A95k preorder is still on.

That's fantastic if you don't notice it. For me, however, I can see the difference even in YT videos when they are side by side.

Of course, as with many things that are impacted by each person's own unique visual acuity and quirks (most forms of blur giving me eyestrain and headaches in games, for example), some people will notice it more than others and be affected more than others. I'd love to be able to use a QD-OLED set, as the LG panels aren't perfect either (the occasional white fringing effects that HDTVTest illustrates), but the non-blacks and the effect of sub-pixel arrangement affecting the display of text on PC make it non-starters for me.

The non-pure black on the QD-OLED panels would likely be something I could get used to if it wasn't going to be side by side 24/7 with an LG OLED. Simultaneously, since I already reduce the brightness of the LG OLED so it's at a comfortable level for extended PC use, the brightness advantage of the QD-OLED would mostly go to waste as I'd calibrate it to be at roughly the same level (regardless of whether I had an LG OLED or not).

Here's me crossing my fingers that the Sony set works out fantastically for you. :) I'm rooting for the QD-OLED panel displays to do well since competition in the marketplace is good.

The more people using OLED sets the better, IMO. :)

Regards,
SB

The extra brighess of qdoled probably will only be used for hdr.

As with my lg CX, the hdr is not bright enough with the lights turned on.

HDR isn’t meant for a bright room. It’s meant for dark room viewing. That’s why if you use things like dynamic tone mapping to make hdr more watchable in daytime, it’s at the expense of accuracy as you’re pumping up the eotf.

SDR for daytime is much more flexible as you increase the overall apl (average picture level) of the scene while maintaining accuracy.

I’ve had the aw3423dw over a month+ now. It easily shits on any lcd based tech ever produced for gaming. There’s no point in even making some one sided list.

I compared it to my calibrated C7 and C1 (now gone). Screen uniformity is on another level compared to woled. Whether it’s near black or pure white qdoled wins hands down. It’s actually perfect with no room to improve. With 250nits+ in sdr for 100% white, abl isn’t an issue either. As an example, post calibration the lg42 tops out around 120nits range. Brightness being log rhythmic, you’ll not only perceive that difference but also run into abl issues for desktop usage. It’s the main reason I didn’t consider the 42lg as an option. The Alienware has not produced a single instance of image retention even using torture test patterns. With windows scaling set at 110% and cleartype, fringing is a non event for me. Most people don’t even notice it. The reflections diluting grays is well overblown. Unless you’re using it in your backyard or in the middle of a department store, you’ll be fine.

For a tech standpoint, qdoled when actually following standards and not just making shit up like the S95B, the benefits PQ wise over woled are subtle. In sdr, they’re exactly the same. For hdr, you need a specific combo of very high peak nits for brightness and high peak luminance grading for the colors in the section. Only at that point in a side by side that the qdoled keeps that color saturation in tact while the woled starts to fade. Imagine comparing the colors on a brand new shirt vs one that’s been worn and washed 10times.

Almost 100% of the hdr content you watch including games is graded to P3 colorspace. For qdoled to massively pull ahead we need content graded past p3 and well into bt2020.

While Samsung made a mockery out of qdoled with the s95b to wow the casual whiles purposely ‘diesel gating’ the set when trying to make it accurate, the Sony A95K will show us a realistic representation of qdoled. I expect it to be an Alienware+ and that alone is a great outcome!

Samsung diesel gate info:

Last edited:
btw any list of what QD OLED fixes and broke compared to WOLED?

top off my head

Fix
  • no longer shows Color bleeds/fringe on yellows
  • no more non-uniform burn in due to different color subpixels burning out at different levels
  • better color volume
  • no more DSE / uniformity issue on grays
  • no more blotchy absolute blacks when close together with near-black moving
  • ABL (its still there but practically wont ever kicks in, right?)

Broke
  • shows fringe on texts
  • dynamic tone mapping that cannot be disabled (only samsung?)
  • no more absolute black when the room is not dark (probably invisible as long as not side by side with WOLED?)
  • more prominent pixel shifts (maybe differ from brands to brands?)
unknown
  • what happens when you interrupt the pixel refresher on QDOLED? on WOLED, it could result in horizontal "static scanlines" effect.
EDIT:
uh. should be Plus and minus. instead of fix and broke.

Broke
  • no more absolute black when the room is not dark (probably invisible as long as not side by side with WOLED?)

Keep in mind that not everyone will notice. For example, the non-black blacks on the Alienware display are pretty noticeable to me in a dimly lit room, but not everyone notices it and to them it's just black.

As with anything, it's a good idea to check it out yourself to decide.

Regards,
SB

If you want to really learn about hdr, i'd put this on in the background. You don't necessarily need to watch most of it outside of some slides here and there. Also clears up a lot of misconceptions about hdr that have taken hold over time and also about people's general understand on brightness is just plain wrong.

btw any list of what QD OLED fixes and broke compared to WOLED?

top off my head

Fix
  • no longer shows Color bleeds/fringe on yellows
  • no more non-uniform burn in due to different color subpixels burning out at different levels
  • better color volume
  • no more DSE / uniformity issue on grays
  • no more blotchy absolute blacks when close together with near-black moving
  • ABL (its still there but practically wont ever kicks in, right?)

Broke
  • shows fringe on texts
  • dynamic tone mapping that cannot be disabled (only samsung?)
  • more prominent pixel shifts (maybe differ from brands to brands?)
unknown
  • what happens when you interrupt the pixel refresher on QDOLED? on WOLED, it could result in horizontal "static scanlines" effect.
EDIT:
uh. should be Plus and minus. instead of fix and broke.

• shows fringe on texts - Subjective. I cleaned it up with using font scaling at 110% and cleartype. Most don't see it. Will need to pray for MS to step up here but likely won't
  • dynamic tone mapping that cannot be disabled (only samsung?) - Not an issue on AW. Samsung released a FW fixing this. Also not an issue on A95. This isn't a tech limitation
  • no more absolute black when the room is not dark (probably invisible as long as not side by side with WOLED?) - I mentioned this already
  • more prominent pixel shifts (maybe differ from brands to brands?) - Only on AW. Others you can disable pixel shift. Not sure what' prominent' means here in measurable terms but there's no impact such as image being cropped but on the AW. The panel itself is 'oversized' to allow for this. It happens maybe once an hour or so at best

If pixel shift is only once an hour then perhaps that's tolerable. It seemed jarring when it happened compared to other sets behavior.

Example on Samsung QD-OLED copied from https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2250201/

Starts at 4:04 minute mark of Vincent's unboxing with the shift shown at 4:12-4:18 mark as Up and To The Right.

• shows fringe on texts - Subjective. I cleaned it up with using font scaling at 110% and cleartype. Most don't see it. Will need to pray for MS to step up here but likely won't
That’s caused by the nonstandard subpixel arrangement. It can be mitigated somewhat but is absolutely not subjective but a limitation of the technology.

Last edited:
There seems to be quite a few A95K's out in the wild being reviewed. Vincent has one and he's saying that both accuracy and brightness improved with usage - that's a new one. And that the set is basically capped at 1000 nits, as opposed to the Samsung which is pushing a bit more here and there. Interesting!

There seems to be quite a few A95K's out in the wild being reviewed. Vincent has one and he's saying that both accuracy and brightness improved with usage - that's a new one. And that the set is basically capped at 1000 nits, as opposed to the Samsung which is pushing a bit more here and there. Interesting!

Sony being conservative is pretty normal for them and that's not a bad thing. Like samsung, it also seems like they lifted and shifted a lot of existing stack from their flagship.

A95K will likely be an a90j with a qd oled panel and tech benefits. That's still a great option!

My biggest disappointment would be if you still can't disable ASBL on the sets via the service menu. For me, that's one feature that keeps Sony out of purchase consideration.

My biggest disappointment would be if you still can't disable ASBL on the sets via the service menu. For me, that's one feature that keeps Sony out of purchase consideration.

Btw any idea how to prevent LG from voiding warranty for sets with ASBL disabled?

It really destroys the enjoyment of watching movies (that lingers too long on dark scenes), but I'm not comfortable with voiding my TV warranty for that.

Btw any idea how to prevent LG from voiding warranty for sets with ASBL disabled?

It really destroys the enjoyment of watching movies (that lingers too long on dark scenes), but I'm not comfortable with voiding my TV warranty for that.

Just turn it back on in the SM. There's no flag in the SM that tells them if it's enabled/disabled in the past. TBF I haven't seen an instance where actually cared about it being off and refused warranty either. However, you can just re-enable before service.

Just turn it back on in the SM. There's no flag in the SM that tells them if it's enabled/disabled in the past. TBF I haven't seen an instance where actually cared about it being off and refused warranty either. However, you can just re-enable before service.
Just had my lg b7 panel replaced after failure a week ago. It’s the 3rd panel replacement for me with this tv. They even did another courtesy panel replacement 4 years after my warranty expired. I’ve always disabled asbl and tpc. Nobody looks at that. Pretty phenomenal of lg to cover me for the parts and labour. I purchased the c1 and they’re washer dryer set this year and leaned on that.
The new panel in my b7 is very clean and bright but has an asymmetrical bezel now (bottom of frame is twice as thick as all other sides). Very minimal colour tinting compared to my c1. However there is really bad “chrominance overshoot” in near black detail. My c1 and none of my other replacement panels exhibited that issue. But hey it’s a new tv for free so I can’t complain.

Sony being conservative is pretty normal for them and that's not a bad thing. Like samsung, it also seems like they lifted and shifted a lot of existing stack from their flagship.

A95K will likely be an a90j with a qd oled panel and tech benefits. That's still a great option!

Reports are that the A95K does not dim at all when static elements are on screen, for prolonged periods of time. Maybe that's why Sony was a bit conservative with peak brightness. Maybe they really relaxed ASBL.

So, in their previous video they were raving about the Samsung QD-OLED TV set.

However, once they put it side by side with an LG G2 (this video), the grey blacks were immediately noticeable with any significant ambient lighting in the room. Side by side, to their eyes they both looked very similar in a dimly lit room with maybe an ever so slight nod to the Samsung set.

When they purchased the G2 at a local shop, the store refused to put the Samsung set next to the LG because it would put the Samsung set at a large disadvantage as the grey blacks are REALLY noticeable under store lighting when next to the LG set. You really do need to have the lights as low as possible and preferably off with the Samsung set.

In the end, Linus will be returning both sets and he's hoping that the Sony QD-OLED set won't have the same issues as the Samsung set.

Regards,
SB

Back