Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Damn, that bites. I was starting to think about looking at the Alienaware monitor for an upgrade to my ancient desktop display. I wonder how long it would take for WinOS or a third party to develop native TrueType-like support for QD-Oled. Or would it even improve things at all?

I remember when they had inverted pixels, like rgb vs rbg, and that helped a lot once it was supported.

You should check it out yourself to see if it's noticeable enough for it to bother you. You can mitigate it somewhat by using Clear Type, but for me the text is still soft/blurry/"not quite right" which does uncomfortable things to my eyes if I have to look at text on a QD-OLED for too long. OTOH, my friend who has the display isn't much bothered by it.

Regards,
SB

whoa! that motion compensation is really good. my lg cx acts as if it got a seizure or something lol.

nice that heatsinks basically solved the annoying issue on LG OLED (it darkens itself after awhile if no scene change).

Last edited:
Yeah finally I get some news on that, and of course it was the very first point Vince covered. Ok great I guess I won’t cancel the preorder!

Nice. It's definitely better than the Samsung set and I'd consider it the premier display for movie watching, especially if you watch a lot of 24 FPS content.

However, since I absolutely detest 24 FPS and 30 FPS presentation, that's a non-factor for me. 24 FPS content will look better sure, but I'll still hate every moment watching it. :p

While it's encouraging that Sony believe that their heat dissipation layer combined with the QD-OLED panel will prevent long term burn-in, I'd personally wait for long term owner feedback to see how well it handles long term use. However, I'm sure people that regularly go into the service menu to disable automatic dimming on static content (and thus risk long term burn-in) will be encouraged by this.

And obviously, for someone like me who actually would use it as a PC display, it's not something I would be able to use due to the sub-pixel layout.

Also, this is now confirmation that the panel itself is incapable of being pure black if there is light in the room. However, as he noted, most people would probably not notice if there is enough bright content on the screen. But in a lit room, you'll always be able to tell that the black frame is blacker than the "black" screen.

Anyway, that shouldn't be taken as me dismissing the panel as it does other things really well and I wish the LG panels could also do as well. I obviously come from a standpoint that is not similar to the use cases of most people that would be looking to buy a HDTV. :) Most of them aren't going to be sitting 2.5 to 3.0 feet from the screen and using it as a PC display. So what are minor drawbacks for most people are major drawbacks for me. Although some minor drawbacks remain minor drawbacks even for me. For example, the slightly worse gaming performance of the display would likely not be noticeable for most even if you regularly gamed on both an LG set and the Sony QD-OLED set.

If not for the sub-pixel layout, inherent non-blackness of the screen in a lit room and as yet unproven resistance to long term burn-in, I'd be really tempted by the Sony A95J.

This is good. LG has needed more competition in this space and hopefully this will lead to more advancements on their side. As well, that should keep Samsung on their toes so that they will rapidly improve on their panels.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Having been impressed almost on a daily basis with my Alienware 3423dw and after a trusted buddy grabbed the Samsung S95b, I went into Selfridges in London to see it for myself. I was given the remote controls (there are two!) and full access to play. I walked away with a strong urge to buy and then realized there was a big sale this weekend so damnit, lets get it.

I can't comment much on the horrid state of the OS because I'm shielding myself from it with my Apple TV4k (2021). The ATV is my content delivery system with the TV simply acting as a monitor. Rounding up the experience of others, this is probably the best way to enjoy this TV. Don't let it be Smart.

I never accepted any TOS and it's never been connected to the internet. This is for the best. My previous comment here https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...v-for-consoles-2022.62693/page-9#post-2256277 still stands. It's a shitshow but you can control it by not using it.

Without going into a plethora of examples or drowning you with superlatives, for anyone wanting HDR gaming, this will certainly blow you away and mainly for the right reasons. Game mode peaks around 1500nits for highlights and with that, you don't lose any color luminance. Simply put, the colors scale up as the brightness goes up. As a package, you get your brightness due to the peaks, dark details due to it being oled based tech and purity in all the colors due to the Quantum Dots. Another key benefit is the separation of colors. Perhaps due to the narrow SPD (Spectral Power Distribution) each color and it's gradients are represented clearer than any other tech before it.

Now there will be people who will scream about EOTF, HGIG etc but I will say this; HGIG is a mess all around and everyone's got their idea of what it should and shouldn't do despite what it's supposed to. The EOTF can be calmed down with some correction and shadow detail adjustments but I have a feeling that most gamers will opt for the pop esp as the colors don't de-saturate with brightness.

The LG C7 I also have is not a comparison worth making. It's just not. The Alienware of course can keep up outside of extra few hundred nits of highlight details but! the AW is practically useless for consoles. It's the benchmark for PC gaming but it's 3440x1440 resolution and lack of HDMI2.1 neuter it heavily for any console usage.

All the other praise I gave to the Alienware on here previously applies to the S95B as well. Now you just getting that panel tech in a large 65inch TV format, in 4k with another 400+ nits of headroom to play with.

Last edited:
Having been impressed almost on a daily basis with my Alienware 3423dw and after a trusted buddy grabbed the Samsung S95b, I went into Selfridges in London to see it for myself. I was given the remote controls (there are two!) and full access to play. I walked away with a strong urge to buy and then realized there was a big sale this weekend so damnit, lets get it.

I can't comment much on the horrid state of the OS because I'm shielding myself from it with my Apple TV4k (2021). The ATV is my content delivery system and TV simply acting like monitor. Rounding up the experience of others, this is probably the best way to enjoy this TV. Don't let it be Smart.

I never accepted any TOS and it's never been connected to the internet. This is for the best. My previous comment here https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...v-for-consoles-2022.62693/page-9#post-2256277 still stands. It's a shitshow but you can control it by not using it.

Without going into a plethora of examples or drowning you with superlatives, for anyone wanting HDR gaming, this will certainly blow you away and mainly for the right reasons. Game mode peaks around 1500nits for highlights and with that, you don't lose any color luminance. Simply put, the colors scale up as the brightness goes up. As a package, you get your brightness due to the peaks, dark details due to it being oled based tech and purity in all the colors due to the Quantum Dots. Another key benefit is the separation of colors. Perhaps due to the narrow SPD (Spectral Power Distribution) each color and it's gradients are represented clearer than any other tech before it.

Now there will be people who will scream about EOTF, HGIG etc but I will say this; HGIG is a mess all around and everyone's got their idea of what it should and shouldn't do despite what it's supposed to. The EOTF can be calmed down with some correction and shadow detail adjustments but I have a feeling that most gamers will opt for the pop esp as the color don't de-saturate with brightness.

The LG C7 I also have is not a comparison worth making. It's just not. The Alienware of course can keep up outside of extra few hundred nits of highlight details but! the AW is practically useless for consoles. It's the benchmark for PC gaming but it's 3440x1440 resolution and lack of HDMI2.1 neuter it heavily for any console usage.

All the other praise I gave to the Alienware on here previously, applies to the S95B as well. Now you just that you get that Panel tech in a large 65inch TV, in 4k with another 400+ nits of headroom to play with.
WHAT! I went to Selfridges and wasn't allowed to play around with it, dammit!

WHAT! I went to Selfridges and wasn't allowed to play around with it, dammit!

giphy.gif

lol the manager even told me the Pin to switch from retail demo to home mode

@London Geezer may I request you to test the TV with LPCM, dts, Dolby, and atmos source? Check whether all of them got the same minimal audio lag? Or at least LPCM vs atmos.

A shooter would be easiest for test. The muzzle flash and audio should have no delay.

AFAIK all lg oled, even the 2022 model, have much higher audio lag on atmos.

The latency rank from lowest latency to highest

LPCM, dts (and all of its variations. No longer supported since lg cx), Dolby digital (and dd+), atmos.

@London Geezer may I request you to test the TV with LPCM, dts, Dolby, and atmos source? Check whether all of them got the same minimal audio lag? Or at least LPCM vs atmos.

A shooter would be easiest for test. The muzzle flash and audio should have no delay.

AFAIK all lg oled, even the 2022 model, have much higher audio lag on atmos.

The latency rank from lowest latency to highest

LPCM, dts (and all of its variations. No longer supported since lg cx), Dolby digital (and dd+), atmos.
Hey! Well I’m fairly sure the PS5 only outputs PCM, and I can’t see any lag with that. It doesn’t output Dolby digital, Atmos or dts at all while gaming so there’s no way of testing it - unless something has changed lately?

Hey! Well I’m fairly sure the PS5 only outputs PCM, and I can’t see any lag with that. It doesn’t output Dolby digital, Atmos or dts at all while gaming so there’s no way of testing it - unless something has changed lately?

whoa i didnt know PS5 only outputs PCM. yikes. I'm basically doomed... when finally i managed to buy a PS5, i need to buy a new AVR or buy some kind of HDMI audio extractor thingy...

my avr only do ARC, ugh.

EDIT:

found on reddit, turns out PS5 still able to output DTS and DD and on his/her LG, DTS have less lag than dolby (as per usual. this has been an issue on LG TVs since the dawn of time AFAIK)

so if you can, try between PCM and DD. does DD lags?

Let's talk about why ASBL is the worst thing on OLED's and we'll pick on Sony since they don't allow Service Menu options to disable it.

ASBL = Anti Static Brightness Limiter. On OLED's, if there's a static HUD on the screen like most games, regardless of what you change within the menus, the back end programming will say 'after X amount of time, start reducing Y nits" and keep doing it until it reaches a certain state. Only when this programming is reset like dying in a game does it go back to normal brightness and starts the cycle again.

So it only impacts gaming then? Nope. It impacts sports and even dark movies like Dune 2021 where a continuous dim parts trick the algo into triggering it's ASBL mechanism.

If you watch this stream and listen to the commentary, you'll get a great idea of why this feature is just one of the worst things to have come out alongside OLED tech:

Let's talk about why ASBL is the worst thing on OLED's and we'll pick on Sony since they don't allow Service Menu options to disable it.

ASBL = Anti Static Brightness Limiter. On OLED's, if there's a static HUD on the screen like most games, regardless of what you change within the menus, the back end programming will say 'after X amount of time, start reducing Y nits" and keep doing it until it reaches a certain state. Only when this programming is reset like dying in a game does it go back to normal brightness and starts the cycle again.

So it only impacts gaming then? Nope. It impacts sports and even dark movies like Dune 2021 where a continuous dim parts trick the algo into triggering it's ASBL mechanism.

If you watch this stream and listen to the commentary, you'll get a great idea of why this feature is just one of the worst things to have come out alongside OLED tech:
Good thing it seems that the A95K doesn’t have this problem.

i really really really hates that feature. but I'm too afraid to disable it in service menu.
knowing my luck, the tv will blow itself into pieces or something the instant i disabled that feature.

if i suddenly won a contest or something and got lots of money, i will instantly buy the new QDOLED sony TV just to make me have better peace of mind and sanity.

I am confused with this. Isnt this a mechanism supposedly there to protect the screen from burning artifacts?
Also whats the difference between ASBL and ABL?
I also thought the TV had mechanisms to protect the screen only where static images are by shifting the pixels.

I have a B9 and wonder if the reason why my HDR colors dont pop out is because of this.
To turn it off in the LG C line of TVs it says to disable TPC and GSR but I am not sure if its a good idea

I always notice this when watching F1 on my C9. From time to time the driver ranking/timing screen goes brighter/darker. Don't really notice it outside that though, and I did watch Dune a couple of weeks back ;)

Back