ATI's "Toy Shop" Demo is jaw-dropping

sof0191.jpg

... TOYSHOP /ninja PC/

snap00170.jpg

... Silent Hill3 /PS2/

I agree that the rain-on-window stuff wasn't that good. Because most other things were so unbelievably well done it rather stood out IMO.

joe75 said:
... TOYSHOP /ninja PC/

... Silent Hill3 /PS2/

Surely your not trying to compare the two? To say they arn't in the same league is an understatement, there are about 3 leagues between the two!

zeckensack said:
I agree that the rain-on-window stuff wasn't that good. Because most other things were so unbelievably well done it rather stood out IMO.

If it were put alongside the graphics of any other game I think it would be an excellent effect, however it was the weak spot in thid demo though. I still thought it looked great however, the sensation of being in a nice warm dry room when looking out through the window was simply spectacular! I can't wait to see these kind of graphics in an actual game.

Does anyone know how well this demo would run on a 7800GTX? Would it run at all? With a wrapper maybe?

I only ask this to see how powerful each card is. If the 7800GTX is capible of this same rendering power.

Would it choke an X850XT? (if a wrapper could be used)

Also, I would like to know the specs of the system that this demo was run on.

Can it run on a normal 625Mhz, 1500Mhz X1800XT? (normal FX55 or FX57, Maybe Intel 3.8Ghz?) ..or would the card need to be overclocked or maybe it needs the Crossfire to run it?

How will it run on the X1800XL?

What percent of an X1800XT's computing power was needed to run it? All 100% of it's processing power? 80%? What?

Could any more objects be put into the scene and still run effectively? By effectively I mean smoothly, at least 30 fps or more, no studdering, etc.

In the demo's interactive mode, what's the lowest FPS one would get moving around the town?

Thanks for anyone who knows. :)

pjbliverpool said:
Surely your not trying to compare the two? To say they arn't in the same league is an understatement, there are about 3 leagues between the two!

... the PS2 version /six yrs old teh machine/ of this effect is better for sure,dude,and stay calm,this forum is NOT funny biased site like that pcvsWORLD.com,from where do you come from,the SH3 as a game DO exist,TOYSHOP ... no.

Last edited by a moderator:
joe75 said:
... the PS2 version /six yrs old teh machine/ of this effect is better for sure,dude,and stay calm,this forum is NOT funny biased site like that pcvsWORLD.com,from where do you come from,the SH3 as a game DO exist,TOYSHOP ... no.

You think SH3 looks better than the toyshop demo? Lol, you have serious visual problems.

Let me guess, you havn't actually watched the demo have you?

Oh yes, and learn to post properly.

R300King! said:
Does anyone know how well this demo would run on a 7800GTX? Would it run at all? With a wrapper maybe?

Teoretically a G70 should be able to run this demo , the demo is said to be very branch intensive so I would expect that the performance would be in the range of 30-50% compared to the x1800xt.

I only ask this to see how powerful each card is. If the 7800GTX is capible of this same rendering power.

The G70 has plenty of rendering power (more than the x1800xt) - the problem is that the rendering power is wasted especially when using branches.

The x850xt does not support dynamic branching, someone would have to create multipass version of shaders instead. If they actually made a version for the x850xt it would be very slow.

Also, I would like to know the specs of the system that this demo was run on.

Can it run on a normal 625Mhz, 1500Mhz X1800XT? (normal FX55 or FX57, Maybe Intel 3.8Ghz?) ..or would the card need to be overclocked or maybe it needs the Crossfire to run it?

I dobt it would be very dependend on the CPU, there are no AI, no physics, no advanced animation etc. and I would expect it to be made to run on one card.

How will it run on the X1800XL?

About 20% slower than on an XT - I expect.

Could any more objects be put into the scene and still run effectively? By effectively I mean smoothly, at least 30 fps or more, no studdering, etc.

I doubt you could fit this amount of details and effects in a game on current hardware, on the R580 that might change.

joe75 said:
... kiddo,I SAID " the PS2 version of this effect /droplet animation stuff ... images above/" .. NOT BETTER THAN THE WHOLE DEMO.
... are you stupid OR WHAT.

It doesn't matter what you said, there is nothing on the PS2 which can even remotely begin to compete with any part of that demo. Stop wasting your time obsessing over 5 year old hardware. The PS2 has all the rendering power of a mobile phone next to the X1800XT.

Just watch the video and have a real look at what your PS2 can only dream of rendering.

R300King! said:
Does anyone know how well this demo would run on a 7800GTX? Would it run at all?
Without knowing anything about this demo, I am going to guess that it won't run well on anything with less than 512MB memory. It is quite complex and I am sure ATi would not pass up the opportunity to put all the memory to some good use (whaaat? demos are good use :smile: )

With a wrapper maybe?

It's very possible that it would run, but run very poorly, even if said 7800 GTX was equipped with 512MB as postulated above. The reason I think this is because ATi would have profiled this demo very closely to the R520's abilities and although the GTX is strong with pixel shaders, this demo may rely heavily on dynamic branching to avoid doing unnecessary work.

It kills all who are approach and are not worthy. It eats the innocent and insults the elderly.

joe75 said:

Lol, I'm with the other guy here. You have to be kidding, that Silent Hill 3 shot looks absoluty terrible. The rain? Oh come on, it just looks like a washed out white window, nothing more, I think I only see two unrealistic droplets on that whole window. Then look at the Toy Shop demo on the other hand has amazing looking droplets that realisticly slide down the window etc, creating reflections/refractions etc.

We're not saying which one is doable in games today, we're talking stricly IQ here.

Thanks Tim, and wireframe.

Tim, what did you mean exactly when you said this? "Teoretically a G70 should be able to run this demo , the demo is said to be very branch intensive so I would expect that the performance would be in the range of 30-50% compared to the x1800xt."

This meaning the 7800GTX will run it slower (about 30-50%) than X1800XT, or at 30-50% of the X1800XT speed?

How many FPS do you think an X1800XT could run this at? (min- max)

Thanks. :)

It would be awesome to run this demo in real time and to have the ability to zoom and move around. Do you think it could run on a X800 XTPE.

Back