ATI's "Toy Shop" Demo is jaw-dropping

The biggest advantage the Toy Shop demo has over Ruby is in its far superior art assets rather than anything having to do with the shader model used. Not that Ruby looks bad by any means, but the artistry in Toy Shop is just absolutely superb.

John Reynolds said:
I eagerly await seeing my head on Ruby's body yet again. . .though I preferred the Toyshop demo. Hmm, maybe my decapitated head could be placed inside the toyshop, somewhere in the background?

Yep, that'd be pretty hot. :D

I had to convert the two ATI WMVs to DivX in order to get (almost) stutter-free playback - my Radeon 32MB SDR is showing its age.

Jawed

Last edited by a moderator:
Toystore was simply amazing. I'm still drooling, 12 hours later.

The new Ruby demo was not quite so good, I think. I liked the start, the shot of Optico Industries and the way the camera zoomed out. I could have sworn Optico was wearing a plastic suit. And the action scenes didn't seem all too good. I think the bullets, in particular, were pretty bad. The spark and the fact that the bullet left no discernible mark looked unrealistic to me. But worst of all was the electricity at the end. It just looked really, really wierd.

geo said:
I downloaded both but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. But I bet she still doesn't have nipples, poor girl. Tragic, really.
Right. No nipples. But she has a spine now, which is a definitive improvement :D

Playing smoothly at 30~40% load on my Athlon 64 2GHz+Radeon 9600SE.

And Toy thingy is amazing :oops:

Jawed said:
I had to convert the two ATI WMVs to DivX in order to get (almost) stutter-free playback - my Radeon 32MB SDR is showing its age.

Jawed
I think an X1600 128MB at $150 would be a good replacement for you. Cheap, but decent quality. You don't seem to game much, but getting to test all the features out would be good for you. X1300Pro with 256MB may even be better due to Vista.

Anyhow... GET A NEW GPU!

R300King! said:
They're using parallax occlusion mapping, according to ATi. Looks nice huh? ;)
Eh, it's alright. ;)

Yeah, just found out what it was using by following this link from another B3D thread. That looks amazing.

Actually, doesn't DM require vertex texturing, something that R520 is lacking (at least, in the SM3 sense, tho Dave said they have a potential work-around).

Question... on the Noticias3d.com slides on Toy Shop it mentions the Rain and Water effects... is there a chance the processing of the water was done on the GPU instead of the CPU? The "Rendering Realistic Rain" indicates a lot of techniques were mixed to keep the illusion of real rain. It looks FABULOUS... So is this something a GPU can do all on its own? This slide, specifically, has me scratching my head.

e.g. "Raindrop splashes due to collision with surfaces" -- would not the CPU need to determine this?

"Raindrops falling from edges" -- Similar to GOW, the rain dribbles slower, and larger, off of surfaces. This is amazing IMO.

"Running water" -- again, what type of CPU load is this?

"Droplets & Streaks on windows"

"Smears on Car Windows"

I am not a programmer... so pardon my total ignorance in this area. But, in a nutshell, are the shaders applied independant of the CPU (performance) and use some form of context? When the rain drop falls it is a drop, when it hits the car it becomes a dribble, then it flows down the car, dribbles off the car and into a puddle?

Can all those transitions be handled on the GPU?

What kind of interactivity could we expect from such a scene? To treat the puddles as objects in the world interactive with the player you would need the CPU, right?

Real basic questions... but very interesting stuff!

The Assassin demo video has been on RhinoFX's site since E3 2005... but it's good to have it now in HD format.

Well, a lot of my questions were answered in reading ALL the slides :oops: The notable slides that explain HOW this was done on the GPU:

Wipers
Drop Simulation
Ripples in Puddles
Water surface treated in 256x256 segments where position, velocity, and acceleration are calcualted
Water treated as thin elastic membrane (ignore gravity, account for surface tension--solved in realtime in pixel shaders to determine water waves height)
Puddles indepth
Swinging telephone

Most amazing part: This demo is not a fly-by :oops: The scene was designed as a "whole scene approach". Pretty impressive.

Acert93 said:
I think an X1600 128MB at $150 would be a good replacement for you. Cheap, but decent quality. You don't seem to game much, but getting to test all the features out would be good for you. X1300Pro with 256MB may even be better due to Vista.

Anyhow... GET A NEW GPU!
LOL I game fairly seriously. Luckily I can still play CS:S and OFP (the latter improves amazingly with an A64 3500+ compared with an Athlon 1200).

I want a new graphics card to play games like FEAR with lots of eye candy. It doesn't look to me like an X1600XT is up to it - but I'm not buying any time soon anyway...

Jawed

Acert93 said:
Well, a lot of my questions were answered in reading ALL the slides :oops:
:cool: that saved me some typing :D

Most amazing part: This demo is not a fly-by :oops: The scene was designed as a "whole scene approach". Pretty impressive.
Like I said, earlier, only by running it on your graphics card can you even see the windscreen wipers working on the water.

This truly is a phenomenal demo.

Jawed

Jawed said:
LOL I game fairly seriously. Luckily I can still play CS:S and OFP (the latter improves amazingly with an A64 3500+ compared with an Athlon 1200).

I want a new graphics card to play games like FEAR with lots of eye candy. It doesn't look to me like an X1600XT is up to it - but I'm not buying any time soon anyway...

Jawed

WOW! How do you do that, I thought it was a pain in the rear trying to play CS:S on my wife's old GF4 Ti4400, let alone a Radeon 32MB SDR!!!

Skrying said:
WOW! How do you do that, I thought it was a pain in the rear trying to play CS:S on my wife's old GF4 Ti4400, let alone a Radeon 32MB SDR!!!
Erm... turn all the options down, run it at 800x600.

Basically it's fuzzy. I think the A64 3500+ helps.

I discovered a somewhat shocking cheat the other week, after the "HDR" upgrade - which may well be because of my SDR (or it could be a tortuous coincidence). Objects like crates and cones disappear when you move away. I managed to get crates to disappear when I was playing online. This is very useful if a crate is "in the line of sight" of a door, but you stand back far enough so that it disappears...

I stopped playing shortly after - haven't checked it since.

Jawed

Really impressive demo, I'm just wondering wether it'd be possible to achieve this level of quality in an actually interactive gaming environment. Complex unpredictable character movement and interaction with the gameworld could easily screw up those rain effects I guess. I am also curious how well the lighting, shadows and real-time occlusion would hold up...

Back