ATI's X800 demo pretty much rivals 4 year old 'Raven' CGI

it seems like ATI's R420 (Radeon X800) Ruby tech demo pretty much rivals the 4+ year old Raven CGI that was used to hype the first Xbox

original pre-rendered 'Raven' CGI
robot1.jpg

robot2.jpg

robot3.jpg

pre-rendered Raven CGI movie
http://xboxmovies.ign.com/media/news/video/gdc2000/xboxdance.mov
(click the link this link brings you)

real-time version of 'Raven' demo running on Nvidia NV15 - GeForce 2 GTS
raven_0.jpg

raven_1.jpg

raven_2.jpg

raven_3.jpg

raven_4.jpg

raven_5.jpg

Ruby images: realtime ATI X800 version on the left, original pre-rendered CGI on the right
ruby1.jpg

ruby2.jpg

ruby3.jpg

ruby4.jpg

original pre-rendered Ruby CGI movie
http://www.rhinofx.tv/dc/dc_large.mov

real time Radeon X800 Ruby movie
http://www2.ati.com/misc/demos/ATI-X800-DoubleCross-Demo-v1.0.mov

now obviously, the real-time X800 Ruby demo is not *quite* as nice as the prerendered version. however, I think the realtime version is a very good approximation of the CGI. I think the realtime Ruby demo is far closer to the original Ruby CGI than the real-time Raven demo was to the original Raven CGI.

now then, Xbox 2 aka Xenon, N5 aka GCNext, and PS3, should be a significant step above the X800 8)

I think we can say that nextgen consoles will be capable of rivaling low-end (and I mean really low end) CGI graphics. not movie-grade CGI or even high-end videogame CGI but certainly low-end videogame CGI. of course it will ultimately be up to each developer to put in the resources needed to make games like this. but I do think it will happen with this next cycle of consoles. they will be the first step toward CGI graphics in games. the first of many steps that is.

Someone told me that movie of ruby that movie is pushing 80,000 polys thats sick with all them effects and also u have to take into account that it had 4 men on the screen with her.U should see the unreal 3 movie thats sick one of them guys on there has more polys than a hole map in ut 2003.This ati card looks sweet and ati wins again.You notice on some of the review sites they dont have 8 x 16 wonder why :p go to http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03NTgmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ== its because new x800 beats 6800 and the new xt platinum bitch slaps 6800 bad at highest settings.

Re: ATI's X800 demo pretty much rivals 4 year old 'Raven' CG

Megadrive1988 said:
I think we can say that nextgen consoles will be capable of rivaling low-end (and I mean really low end) CGI graphics. not movie-grade CGI or even high-end videogame CGI but certainly low-end videogame CGI. of course it will ultimately be up to each developer to put in the resources needed to make games like this. but I do think it will happen with this next cycle of consoles. they will be the first step toward CGI graphics in games. the first of many steps that is.

It's especially the IQ that give images a CGI look, IMHO.
FSAA, AF and nice lighting will do the trick for the low end CGI feel.
And if you think about effects such as Spherical Harmonic and others goods that next gen will bring, the CGI won't be far at all since we could fake radiosity and such.
The big problem, IMHO, will be on the art direction not really on the technical side.

Nice post megadrive btw, nice to see the evolution on 4 year with a concrete example.

Infinity_ said:
U should see the unreal 3 movie thats sick one of them guys on there has more polys than a hole map in ut 2003.This ati card looks sweet and ati wins again.

I thought that T.Sweeney said it has more polygons and map data than a whole level of the "original Unreal".
But that's OT anyway. :)

Infinity_ said:
Someone told me that movie of ruby that movie is pushing 80,000 polys thats sick with all them effects and also u have to take into account that it had 4 men on the screen with her.U should see the unreal 3 movie thats sick one of them guys on there has more polys than a hole map in ut 2003.This ati card looks sweet and ati wins again.You notice on some of the review sites they dont have 8 x 16 wonder why :p go to http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03NTgmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ== its because new x800 beats 6800 and the new xt platinum bitch slaps 6800 bad at highest settings.

Nice, frothing-at-the-mouth video card religion in the console forum!

Just saw the movie.. not all that impressed really. Looks like early PSOne CG to me :p (including the bad animation hehe)

Looks like early PSOne CG to me (including the bad animation hehe)

yeah that's about right.

It's better than the WORST PS1 CG, and probably like the average PS1 CG, maybe a bit below average.

but then this RT Ruby demo is probably running at a better rate than much of the CG on PS1.

Megadrive1988 said:
Looks like early PSOne CG to me (including the bad animation hehe)

yeah that's about right.

It's better than the WORST PS1 CG, and probably like the average PS1 CG, maybe a bit below average.

but then this RT Ruby demo is probably running at a better rate than much of the CG on PS1.

you guys need to go take out your ps1 games then .

or u need to buy a x800 .

you guys need to go take out your ps1 games then .

or u need to buy a x800 .

Seriously? the Ruby Demo is impressive but let's not kid ourselse here. at best it comprably matches up to mid to late higher budget CG on the PS1, but is very VERY far from some of the later stuff (FF9 I looking at you).

although the styles are very different I'd say it compares favouraby with Chrono Cross CG for example.

ps 1 cgi was grainy and very low res. Really you guys need to go watch them again .

But hey if the x800xt looks like ps1 quality cgi i guess we can't expect much more from a ps3 and xbox 2

It looks nice, but with NVidia's pimping of their accelerated shadow rendering I have to wonder about Ati's reasoning behind showcasing a techdemo with no selfshadowing on characters.
At least if the CG version also didn't have it it'd be less apparent, but this way it kinda stands out...

ps 1 cgi was grainy and very low res
I don't think they were comparing screen resolution :p

Back