ATI's X800 demo pretty much rivals 4 year old 'Raven' CGI

I have to disagee with megadrives first post. I think the next gen should spit on PS1 FMV and most of this gen FMV's. I think Toy story graphics thays the max. The current pc games crush ps1 fmv's already I think the next gen shoud crush the current pc games.

that's already happened this generation, with some games.

I don't think CGI will go away anytime soon. there will be plenty of CGI in nextgen games. but perhaps more games will use cut scenes made with game engines.

Most of the high quality CGI is outsourced to CGI only companies. In other words those companies don't know anything about creating CGI with game engines.

PC-Engine said:
Most of the high quality CGI is outsourced to CGI only companies. In other words those companies don't know anything about creating CGI with game engines.

You mean they don't know anything about creating cut-scenes with game engines? Of course. CGI companies have a limitless supply of computing power compared to realtime game engines. Not actually limitless of course, as it all comes down to costs, but compared to real-time engine, they have time on their side. One could say they have limitless time compared to real-time engines.
1/60 of second (or 1/30) compared to whatever time is needed to render a frame, sometimes minutes or even hours... That's a whole lot.

Why on earth did this get resurrected? And why did anyone reply to something returned by a 1-word post from a 1-post wonder? :p

Back