ATI's "Toy Shop" Demo is jaw-dropping

OICAspork

Newcomer
I don't recall ever being this impressed by a demo before... hmm... with the possible exception of ATI's original radeon "arc" demo. The Ruby demo this time around is visually ver impressive. The textures, shadowing, detail, animation, ect. are all stunning in the Ruby demo, but the detractions for me were "optico's" clothing having a plasticy sheen and then the cheesy TMNT reflect the laser with the sword thing. Toy Shop on the other hand... had no detractions to me.. WOW. Both videos are available at www.ati.com now. You click on the "Radeon X1K Family" animation and then on downloads, then demos. Once you've got the streaming version of the demo open you can download the hidef version.

Okay, I watched through these again... and I'm amazed at their quality. I'm curious what features are GPU's lacking now compared to 3d-rendering software for animation production? Looking at those real time videos it seems that they are adequate quality for a CG television series. If you weren't aiming for realtime, but rather faster than CPU rendering, what is limiting a GPU solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both movies are pretty nice looking. High level of detail, almost low end CGI like. Cannot wait for games to look like this... in 3-5 years :(

Very nice demo. The brickwork was done very well, as were the reflections and the sheer size of the world in the final segment. Definitely good enough to pass for a "movie". I hope these are released as EXEs soon so they can be verified to be running at decent FPS and not with some conditionals like CrossFire 2.

The name is a bit misleading though. I expected something totally different from the name of it.

Yah, I like the toy shop demo, the water effects are cool. However I'm not impressed by Ruby sequel...
________
Au Falcon

mikechai said:
Yah, I like the toy shop demo, the water effects are cool. However I'm not impressed by Ruby sequel...

I just watched the Ruby video and I have to say it is completely lame in comparison to the Toyshop. Maybe I am just biased about the content of the two demos, but Ruby looked wrong on so many levels. Suddenly it didn't look CGI at all, Optico looked like textured barrel with all the gloss that we have come to expect and hate in the "shiny new tech" demos (aka: shiny surfaces for everything). The physics were also off. Mainly it was just the progression of the story it tells. Whereas the Toyshop was just a ghost camera looking at a very impressive scene, Ruby tries to be an exciting action sequence with a plot (???) and it just falls flat on its face. Awful! heh (Ok, so maybe it's not THAT bad, but it's bad, especially compared to the Toy one).

OICAspork said:
I'm curious what features are GPU's lacking now compared to 3d-rendering software for animation production?
The usual suspects are what set offline work apart; antialiasing, resolutions (for film work at least), global illumination (shadows to you and me) and motion blur (temporal antialiasing).

Motion blur's the real big one for pro quality stuff, because there's nothing much in the way of a good general realtime solution yet. All the others the hardware at least has some kind of handle on.

But you're right, a huge amount of 'production quality' animation is very much within the reach of realtime on these latest chips.

I actually preferred Ruby. I thought the Toy Shop looked good, but was boring (and it had shiny wet concrete at night... it is a victim as well!)

Oh well, tastes are different. I liked the action (though some was corney) and detail in Ruby. Ruby looked good and the world was detailed.

They were showing that Ruby demo running live on the xbox 360 at siggraph earlier in the year.

What was interesting was that in the low detail scenes, the frame rate got behind because the cpu was getting too far ahead of the grahics (or maybe the other way around) so you got a sort-of slow-mo effect for a few frames. Technically it was very impressive seeing it live, however I'd agree the animation wasn't quite up to snuf.

The toy shop on the other hand, wow. They *really* should have shown that at siggraph, that would have absolutly blown people away.

It would suggest that maybe the ruby demo wasn't built for SM 3 maybe...? that they produced it much earlier perhaps.

I eagerly await seeing my head on Ruby's body yet again. . .though I preferred the Toyshop demo. Hmm, maybe my decapitated head could be placed inside the toyshop, somewhere in the background?

John Reynolds said:
I eagerly await seeing my head on Ruby's body yet again. . .though I preferred the Toyshop demo. Hmm, maybe my decapitated head could be placed inside the toyshop, somewhere in the background?
Nah, I got me something special planned for this one methinks; I got an idea for a chop of Kyle.... :devilish:

I downloaded both but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. But I bet she still doesn't have nipples, poor girl. Tragic, really.

300 different shaders just for the rain effects :oops:

They even simulate the wiper blades clearing the windscreen - and you don't even get to see this effect in the movie! You have to run it on your graphics card to get in there and see it happen.

Plus there's lots of cute physics-based animations.

All very very nice.

Jawed

Toyshop looked fantastic. Are the cobblestones rendered using hardware displacement mapping? They look extruded, as in no overhanging bits (the top smaller than the base).

Pete said:
Toyshop looked fantastic. Are the cobblestones rendered using hardware displacement mapping? They look extruded, as in no overhanging bits (the top smaller than the base).

They're using parallax occlusion mapping, according to ATi. Looks nice huh? ;)

I love that video too. Looks so real. I love where the water is pouring off the roof, but not stright down..kind of going in a little, just like it really would in real life. I ran the high qulity video but it even studders on my player. :( Maybe my 9700 pro just cant do the video anymore, who know?

I hope they make more demos. And this is just one of the first. Imagine what they can do in time? :)

I ran the video at full screen, no stutter or anything, but I am running it on my 6800 right now. *snicker*

That toy shop was amazing, I'll be downloading the Ruby one in a bit.

Back