ATI's X800 demo pretty much rivals 4 year old 'Raven' CGI

Also the ruby demo was done on the x800 nto the xt platinum so it could be a little better because the xt is alot faster.The r500 is would we should be look for.That ureal 3 engine if any of you havent seen it yet take a look at it.

pushing more polygons than they can draw on screen?Dont know what u mean by that because the cards can draw all there polys on screen that they can do.We are close to what u are talking about with makeing everything round.Like take a look at doom 3 on xbox u can see alot more polys sticking out than u see on the pc version but i still looks ok i guess.

Infinity, i'm not sure how u got into the whole "let's turn the console forum into a PC-religion-conversion forum", but yeah we get your point.

Personally i'm not impressed with it because they're STILL "maps".

My next WOW will be when the wrinkles and the details will be fully 3D, when displacement maps will be used in realtime.

These demos just do not impress me in the least. And the polygons on the guy's head contribute a lot to my non-impression. I mean come on, the thing is capable of pushing hundreds of millions of polygons per second in real-time and they can't even make a head perfectly smooth and rounded????

I'm saying that i'm not impressed with the DEMO itself, i know that the hardware is capable of SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than that.

You took the wroung id about turning it into a console and pc debate i didnt mean it like that sorry.Yea the card could do more than that but u got to think that there is other people on screen at that time to not just that man.Also did u know next xbox 2 will allow you to be able to play pc gamers online and u can use xbox contollers on pc ?Thought that would be cool.

Speaking about the Raven tech demo, does anyone have more? :) PlayStation 2 (Squaresoft faces?), Xbox and GameCube (Metroid, tree thingy)?

Hmm, it's getting increasingly harder to find screenshots from the first PS2 tech demos. Here's some:

ps2demo1.jpg

ps2demo2.jpg

Tech demos @ GIA mirror
Tech Demos @ IGN

Simple . You are making crazy claims (yes i've seen ps1 quality cgi ) so i will make claims just as crazy .

Both ati and nvidias tech demos blow the hell out ps1 quality cgi , i would say blows the hell out of saturn quality too but we all know that was worse than ps1 quality.

the models in the cgi were blockier , had lower res tectures and had stiffer animation . Esp the ff series .

we also know not to expect the tech demo quality coming out of these cards .

Strange, cause I find that the jump from late ps1 cg to modern day ps2 cg isn't that big. There's an increase in detail and all, but I'm not blown away.

Infinity_ said:
You took the wroung id about turning it into a console and pc debate i didnt mean it like that sorry.Yea the card could do more than that but u got to think that there is other people on screen at that time to not just that man.Also did u know next xbox 2 will allow you to be able to play pc gamers online and u can use xbox contollers on pc ?Thought that would be cool.

Well then i'll be excused if i EXPECT heads to be AT LEAST rounded by now. It's not like there are hundreds of characters on screen at once!!
Not impressed by the software itself, the art is dreadful, the animation is cringe-worthy. Really, they could have done much better. But at the end of the day, who cares? It's just a demo afterall.

Also, i will play PC games on my PC and Xbox2 games on my Xbox2. But no, i didn't know that.

Wanna keep the thread on-topic? ;)

call me wierd, but looking at the PS2 demo's, I'm even less impressed now. In fact, I'm not impressed at all. :oops:

IMO, I'd rather see something more in-game related than a pretty girl (if she at least were that pretty to beginn with) - something as in like the MGS2 realtime intro demonstrating how games could look like. I guess it wouldn't be a simple then anymore though. :?

It's pretty easy to make a detailed face when one concentrates ONLY on the face. ATi's demo doesn't impress me from the stylistic side (don't care much for the design of Ruby in particular), but from the technical end it's awfully nice.

Phil said:
call me wierd, but looking at the PS2 demo's, I'm even less impressed now. In fact, I'm not impressed at all. :oops:

IMO, I'd rather see something more in-game related than a pretty girl (if she at least were that pretty to beginn with) - something as in like the MGS2 realtime intro demonstrating how games could look like. I guess it wouldn't be a simple then anymore though. :?

Well it's fair to say that the PS2 demos had just one head, so of course one can afford to bump the detail up, whereas the ATI demos had big-ish environments, several characters, and definately better techniques. But somehow, i'm still not impressed.

It must be the total and utter LAMENESS about the demo itself that just leaves me unimpressed.

I mean they've been showing the same demos since the DC days, u'd think they could HIRE a designer to change some things. Instead, no, pretty girl with a pretty face and pretty lips fighting some montery kind of guy with explosions at the end... i mean someone needs an intensive course on ORIGINALITY.

And technically, they could have done much better.

Sure. But those PS2 demos are nearly 5 years old by now. Considering the leap of technology I would have at least expected to see that kind of detail found in the face of Ruby in addition to what it is already being pulling off in that demo. Maybe I am misslead by the stylistic side...

Actually I am not disputing the hardware - just commenting purely on the demo itself. Anyone know exact specs? Might be interesting to analyse and see how they compare against potential next gen consoles. ;)

I thought the ATI demo was to give a sense of what a game could look like. In any case I thought it was pretty cool and I think you guys are jaded. We're in the middle of an information technology revolution where a regular jane/joe can get more new amazing off the shelf stuff than they could ever hope to pay for.

Phil said:
Sure. But those PS2 demos are nearly 5 years old by now. Considering the leap of technology I would have at least expected to see that kind of detail found in the face of Ruby in addition to what it is already being pulling off in that demo. Maybe I am misslead by the stylistic side...

Actually I am not disputing the hardware - just commenting purely on the demo itself. Anyone know exact specs? Might be interesting to analyse and see how they compare against potential next gen consoles. ;)

It's also fair to say that the ATI demos run at high resolution, probably with AA and AF on, but yeah i feel the same way, not impressed with the software.
Of course it will change, and i'm so looking forward to see what developers capable of decent designs could do with next gen hardware, be it PC or consoles....

london-boy said:
Phil said:

It's also fair to say that the ATI demos run at high resolution, probably with AA and AF on, but yeah i feel the same way, not impressed with the software.
Of course it will change, and i'm so looking forward to see what developers capable of decent designs could do with next gen hardware, be it PC or consoles....

From what i understand the demos have 4xfsaa on .

The res is much much higher and there is alot more going on in the demo.

As i said many seem to forget what ps1 cgi look like .

jvd said:
london-boy said:
Phil said:

From what i understand the demos have 4xfsaa on .

The res is much much higher and there is alot more going on in the demo.

As i said many seem to forget what ps1 cgi look like .

The thing is that saying "Ps1 CGI" is just plain stupid. Which CGI are we talking about? Square's? Someone else's?
I think if it werent for the bold guy's polygonal head, i'd say the demo is pretty close to Toy Story IQ (i know, shouldn't have mentioned it). Of course, just the IQ. Animation has more to do with the design and not strictly with graphics hardware, so i'll leave my comments on how bad it is in the demo for other threads.
Self-shadowing should have been there, i really believe it wouldn't have taxed the hardware too much, seen there are only 2 characters on screen at once apart from the fight scene..

Infinity_ said:
its because new x800 beats 6800 and the new xt platinum bitch slaps 6800 bad at highest settings.
Are you old enough to be allowed to buy video cards on your own?

london-boy said:
CGI portions are made by studios that are Square's internal studios. One could see them as "outsourcing" but in the end the studio is owned by Square. Or that's my understanding of it. Including FFTSW

Square produced FFTSW in their Honolulu studio (yeah, they could have chosen a worst location).
Square outsourced some CGI of FFIX from Exmachina (a french studio)
here's a link about it (sorry it's in french)

On the other hand, here's some Pictures from squaresoft CGI, up to anyone to draw their conclusions about the "is it possible in realtime?".

FFIXqueen.jpg

FFIXCastle.jpg

FFIXPersos.jpg

vivi_cg.jpg

4.jpg

21.jpg

Here's a video (commercial for FFIX)
Download from eyesonff.com

And a link to some video of Chrono Cross

5 frist videos a GC

Personaly i think that the Ruby demo isn't near of the GCI especially those from square (back in mid/end PS1 era).
Everybody knows that the saint graal of real time rendering is lighting/shadowing, the fact that Ruby Demo didn't have selfshadowing all the time (as fafalada previously said) is a big "cutdown" from a "good cgi look".
Anyway the CGI aren't far away, next-gen will i think deliver the goods, i'm not raising my hopes to high, because with the actual rendering power of R420/NV40, i'm sure good artists and well tweaked engine, could do something better than what we've seen so far.

Back