ATI's X800 demo pretty much rivals 4 year old 'Raven' CGI

For the person that was being smart,Im 23 since u want to be smart about it.This is the last time i post on this forun because to many smart butts jump down your throut for no reason byes.

Infinity_ said:
For the person that was being smart,Im 23 since u want to be smart about it.This is the last time i post on this forun because to many smart butts jump down your throut for no reason byes.

Where did this loon come from?
I mean, he turns the ALREADY TROUBLED console forum into a PCvsEverythingElse, even a PCVideoCards battleground (X800 vs 6800... there are like 5 other boards on this forum where you can let those out freely) than complains if we care to leave things on-topic? :? Meh...

There seems to be subsurface scattering displayed in that screenshot of Ruby's lips. Her eyes don't look like they're rendered very well though. It seems even the Shenmue head demos have better rendered eyes granted they're only rendering the head/torso..

Edit: meant to say Ruby not Luna.

PC-Engine said:
There seems to be subsurface scattering displayed in that screenshot of Luna's lips. Her eyes don't look like they're rendered very well though. It seems even the Shenmue head demos have properly rendered eyes.

What do u mean with "properly"? More realistic? I think when it comes down to eyes (as for many other things), it's all about the design and not so much about the technicality of it.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Yeah realistic was what I was referring to.

They still don't look "real" to me, so it's hard to tell... They look quite "good" but not "quite there yet".... ;)

I agree, to me even the CGI eyes of characters in FFTSW didn't look absolutely "real".

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Yeah realistic was what I was referring to.

They still don't look "real" to me, so it's hard to tell... They look quite "good" but not "quite there yet".... ;)

I agree, to me even the CGI eyes of characters in FFTSW didn't look absolutely "real".

:LOL: Hell no!! If there was something that wasn't realistic, it was the eyes, especially the movement...

(For f**k's sake, i keep getting emails with viruses all over the bloody place! Sick of this)

PC-Engine said:

It's been quite sometime since I last watched FFTSW, but I remember them looking shockingly good, especially the movement (for a CG movie mimicing reality that is).

Damn, give me Final Fantasy X FMV in-game graphics in a game like MGS or Final Fantasy and I'll be very happy. I don't see it happening though, I think it will take another 5 years to make realtime graphics that good and truly enjoyable. Meh.

The eye must be the hardest part to get realistic in cgi characters.
Not necessarily the eye, but the skin around it and the subtle animation.

I think the cgi eyes are too much 'staring', thus they look unrealistic, no matter how well they are modelled and textured.

A real human eye is never completely still, there's always actually guite a lot of movement, even if you try to intensively stare at something, your eye most propably moves (unless you have glass eyes, or you are K.I.L.E.R :D ).

rabidrabbit said:
The eye must be the hardest part to get realistic in cgi characters.
Not necessarily the eye, but the skin around it and the subtle animation.

I think the cgi eyes are too much 'staring', thus they look unrealistic, no matter how well they are modelled and textured.

A real human eye is never completely still, there's always actually guite a lot of movement, even if you try to intensively stare at something, your eye most propably moves (unless you have glass eyes, or you are K.I.L.E.R :D ).

Yes, the eyes continuously move, whether it's micro-movements (which help u keeping u standing, track down movement, see things in 3D) or other movements. Our eyes are NEVER really still, even when we think they are.

And of course FFTSW couldn't reach that level of animation, personally i never expected it to.

They might have looked good on screenshot and in some scenes (short ones), but ultimately they felt like very goodlooking dolls. We've been throught this how many times? ;)

london-boy said:
Infinity_ said:

Where did this loon come from?
I mean, he turns the ALREADY TROUBLED console forum into a PCvsEverythingElse, even a PCVideoCards battleground (X800 vs 6800... there are like 5 other boards on this forum where you can let those out freely) than complains if we care to leave things on-topic? :? Meh...
lol that's why I came here. I was tired of those competition type of threads at other forums, and here there are many intelligent people that will not put up with it. I see no need to compare pc vs. console and so forth. It's apples and oranges, and nothing but massive flamebait. Anyone with any intelligence came come here and read a few articles or posts about these consoles/VPUs from some of the cool/intelligent people on here and realize in order of power how they all rank. Of course, that doesn't mean that the "least powerfull" console or card is useless, as some consoles have games that you love, and some people can't afford the most powefull Pc card. I still break out a little Ghouls N' Ghosts, Cadash, and R-TYPE from time to time. :LOL: ....but I love Rainbow Six 3 very much right now, it's my most played game at the moment. That's why I chose BigGamer X (needed a little flare so added the X for the heck of it) because I own all of it, can't help myself. :cry:

On subject I watched it a few times over again today. In just a few years we should see realtime demos of CG quality similar to the best of what we see in todays video game cutscenes, of course just demo's, not interactive for a couple more years after that. Then after that point I expect things to really slow down towards the march to reality unless some real breakthrough is made. (I won't care much though, as things have advanced so fast in the last decade that they are at a point I didn't envision seeing until I was a bit older :LOL:

I was thinking if there are anyone who knows if "somewhere" on the webb you can download the Raven-demo, NOT a movie but a "real demo"..

overclocked said:
I was thinking if there are anyone who knows if "somewhere" on the webb you can download the Raven-demo, NOT a movie but a "real demo"..

It wouldn't run on anything but a...... Oh sorry u're talking about the RAVEN demo... I thought u meant the Ruby demo...

Sure. But those PS2 demos are nearly 5 years old by now. Considering the leap of technology I would have at least expected to see that kind of detail found in the face of Ruby in addition to what it is already being pulling off in that demo. Maybe ..

Indeed, I think we'll have to wait for sony's new demos to see impressive ones... ;)

ps1 cgi look like

Yes I know what psone cg looked like, some of the earlier ones have already been exceeded in terms of model geometry and animations on current consoles. But ever since FF8, subsequent fmvs. at least in ff games, have not had as big a jump. Lots of effects can be done faster with some shorcuts here and there, and it seems that geometry wise we could be dealing with char.s in or beyond the FFmovie range next gen, so...

Personally, for next-gen consoles, I'd like to see more faithful ff movie demos, and one with Gollum's head. If a casual can't tell the difference, even if not technically matched, they'd have succeeded IMHO.

Anyway the CGI aren't far away, next-gen will i think deliver the goods, i'm not raising my hopes to high, because with the actual rendering power of R420/NV40, i'm sure good artists and well tweaked engine, could do something better than what we've seen so far.

IAWTP

Back