AMD: Zen 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fehu, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Latest rumors suggest DDR5 isn't coming for AMD until 2022 though, and 2021 might see "Zen3+"-like refresh instead (which would not be supported on 400-series motherboards :D ).

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

event then I think the 1700x will last into 2022 , I just rather invest in a new platform than stick to the older one. I can always get a 3x00 series part cheaper next year

BRiT likes this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Still, it does feel somewhat wrong to invest in a dual-channel DDR4 platform in late 2020 / early 2021.

At least with a quad-channel DDR4 platform with 8 dimm slots I'd get enough headroom for gradually upgrading the memory amount and not staying behind on bandwidth.

CarstenS likes this.
  4. hoom

Veteran

As much as I've always liked having the possibility of upgrading CPU on same mobo I've literally never done it despite building my own PCs since late '90s, every time I've bought a new CPU I bought a new Mobo with it.

I actually really wouldn't mind if we got CPUs permanently attached to Mobos as long as it came with a decent cost/power efficiency benefit & didn't excessively cramp my ability to get the price/feature combo I want.

I was reading some stuff: 'the return of chiplets', we're talking IO chip + chiplets right, not return to Zen1 style single-chip in different configs? I still kinda like the latter better.

Brand new 'unified' cache, suggested as L3 shared between 8 cores instead of split between 2* quad-core CCXes.
    But could that be something else like a huge unified L4 on (/HBM off) the IO chip that we got excited about the possibility of last year?
    Perhaps more practical & still major improvement would be if L3 got changed to an Inclusive pre-fetched cache without wrecking latency.

I'm a bit suspicious the claims of massive IPC increase is largely due to doubled FPU (will it be 2* 256bit or will they be supporting 512?) which may mean the actual practical IPC increase is much lower than the headline numbers.

BRiT, nutball and Putas like this.
  5. ToTTenTranz

Let me guess, you've been purchasing Intel consumer platforms all this time?
    ;)

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I actually did that just last upgrade even though I had decent motherboard with Zen 2 BIOS, went from Gigabyte/Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 (or something) to Asus Prime X570 Pro. The compatibility did allow me to hunt down nice price for the X570, though, saved me over 50 euros.

Lightman likes this.
  7. ToTTenTranz

Erm.. but you also spent a bunch of money on an upgrade you didn't need to do?

sir doris likes this.
  8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Yes, I did spend some money I didn't really need to, but in turn I got in my opinion a better and more importantly better looking board.
    (I like having lighting in my case, but I prefer it plain white (+ sadly one effect color because can't change the LED colors on my sound card or video card, lucky for me they both have red LEDs), the Gigabyte board had alone 3 different shades of "white" in it's lighting)

9. ToTTenTranz

Dude..

:-D

10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Hey! 3 different shades of "white" LED light on motherboard alone, who could possibly endure such horrors?! :runaway:

Lightman and ToTTenTranz like this.
  11. hoom

Veteran

I think I've only had 3 Intels: a Core2 Duo, a Core2 quad & this i5.

12. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Time to get the soldering iron out.