AMD: Zen 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fehu, Sep 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erinyes

Regular

Rocket lake is out in a few months and Intel might get back to par with Zen 3 (if we go by Tiger lake results). However, its more or less confirmed that Rocket lake is on 14nm so the power efficiency is gonna be significantly worse.
    Given the increased performance per watt, Zen 3 should reach the advertised boost clocks just fine though. I'm just disappointed at the pricing of the 8 core. Was eyeing a 3700x last gen but decided to hold out for Zen 3. The XSX at $499 is looking mighty tempting vs a $449 (+cooler) 5800X.

Lightman, BRiT and PSman1700 like this.
  2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Zen 3 does sem to be the fastest gaming processor on the market right now which is an amazing achievement for AMD. But it's performance delta even in these AMD hand picked benchmarks is pretty slim so I'm expecting Intel to at least take back the gaming crown with Rocket Lake, even if it's not by much.

That said, RL is rumoured to be 8 core only so it may still be at a disadvantage against the R9 59xx processors in heavily threaded games..

Lightman and PSman1700 like this.
  3. Erinyes

Regular

Yea I don't expect Rocket lake to be a significant improvement. Are you sure about the 8 core? I thought that was only for Tiger Lake.

BTW Anandtech confirmed that Ryzen 5000 is using the same IO die and consequently the same DDR4 3200 speed (as expected).

Also, how well does Zen 2 scale with memory and FCLK Overclocking? Does the gaming performance improve with an 1:1 OC to 3.6/3.7 ghz?

#223 Erinyes, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  4. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

It scales well.

Lightman likes this.
  5. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Only from second hand rumours. Things could easily be wrong this far out.

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. Erinyes

Regular

That was a bit hard to follow. But seems to be a good 3-5% in most cases. Found a better one from Gamers Nexus. The AMD provided GEIL kit didn't perform well.

AMD really should be sending good 3200 Mhz CL14 kits to reviewers for testing.
    I'd expect it to match comet lake at least, but we'll find out in a couple of months I'm sure. They might even announce at CES.

7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.