AMD: Zen 3 Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Ryzen 2600 and 3600 were priced at $199 upon release. See the "Price at introduction" in the following links.

Ryzen 2600: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 2600.html

Ryzen 3600: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 3600.html

The reason the Ryzen 2600 is so much cheaper now is because of the dumping of old inventory and holiday sales.

I was able to recently buy a new Ryzen 2700X processor with Wraith Prism fan/heatsink for $129 + tax during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale time frame. Originally this sold for $329.

Ryzen 2700X: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 7 2700X.html

And in my case, Indonésia continuous dive of currency exchange rate also helps to increase the price gap.

Tell me what I cant play ?
shadow of the tomb raider, gta V, the outer worlds, control, far cry 5, terminator resistance - all playable

Yep. My i5 4460 also can play anything I throw at it except for LA noire VR.

That's why I thought ryzen 5 2600 is already overkill

Allowing me to have a nice headroom even while recording mixed reality video with kinect

Oh. It's pretty soon. I just hope they will improve the motherboard side of things. In a perfect world, I would like more pci-e lanes. Making the jump to TR just for that is pricey...

Oh. It's pretty soon. I just hope they will improve the motherboard side of things. In a perfect world, I would like more pci-e lanes. Making the jump to TR just for that is pricey...

I think it's very unlikely for AMD to increase the amount of PCI-e lanes in their mainstream platforms in the near future. The cost of providing each lane goes up each PCI-e generation, and with 5.0 coming soon I think it's more likely that they just keep the number they have and increase platform bandwidth by making the lanes faster.

The chipset doesn't really need a fan, though. It outputs less than 15W heat, unless your case is a tightly packed cube without any air movement you're fine with passive (and small) heatsink. Der8auer actually tested it with about the chips size cheap heatsink in open enviroment without any fans blowing near it without issues.

While I understand the frustration, I don't understand how big of a deal this is made to be; We knew already a year ago that not all AM4-motherboards will support all AM4 CPUs.
Add to that the mess the last update round was with features and CPU supports getting axed to fit Zen 2 support in cheapskate 16MB BIOS chips and leading at least one major player to actually re-release some of their boards as "MAX" versions with proper 32MB BIOS chip, essentially screwing everyone who had bought the original.

I have a b350 with a 1700x so its not a big deal to me. For me I am going to wait for AM5 and DDR5. I get the appeal of bringing your board forward however even if I could put one of the ryzen 4000s into this board I don't think I would. This was great when I got it , a nvme m.2 and sata m.2 but I would hope by the time AM5 comes out and Ryzen 5000 I would be able to get an affordable board($150 max) that allowed for 2 nvme m.2 pci-e 4.0 or heck even 3 lol. I'd also hope for a lot better features.

I could pick up a 3000 series chip for this board if I found one cheap but I don't think so. My wife is rocking a ryzen 2300g with 16 gigs of ram and a single nvme m.2 drive. So I will give her this chip and board when I upgrade

May 11, 2020
While I refuse to look at people rambling on Youtube to find out if there is a message buried somewhere, this was at least aptly titled.
As far as I can see, one of the most common arguments against AMD solutions is that they are supposed to be less stable than Intel ones (and some vendors brutally cost cutting doesn't help). If the next generation of processors will have SKUs that lie outside the base specifications of the B450 platform, it makes perfect sense to withhold official support!
And AMD is well aware that socket compatibility is a major goodwill point in their favour. I doubt they would damage that goodwill without reason.

This one goes more in depth about the chipset/bios situation

My biggest problem with this AMD thing is that they don't have a cheap enough "future proof" chipset when they released Zen 2 (3000 series) CPU. So if you were to buy Ryzen 3xxx but doesn't have the budget to go to X570 chipset, your option are the 4xx series chipset. I think that if AMD were to lauch B550 with the Ryzen 3xxx, we would see less backlash since probably there would be more people using B550 chipset vs stuck with 4xx chipset.

As for Zen3, I hope that AMD doesn't keep drastically increasing the price of their new CPU. From Zen to Zen+, the pricing is fine. But from Zen+ to Zen2, the price has skyrocketed. Sure, Zen2 is better, but they are asking a lot more for it, a bit too much for my liking. I was eyeing for Ryzen 3600 thinking that the price would be close to 2600 (like from 1600 to 2600). Turns out that it cost 1.6X of 2600. 3600 is definitely not 60% faster than 2600 so basically going to 3xxx series is basically paying a premium. So right now, instead of buying 2600, I will skip Zen+ and Zen2. I might still buy Zen2 if zen Zen3 launched, Zen2 pricing is similar to the current Zen+, but I doubt that will be the case since the node for Zen3 is close to Zen2 (I'm not expert at this, but I'm thinking it will be like Zen to Zen+ transition price wise).

It's quite muddy wording. "felt better". I don't think in last 20 years IPC improvement ever broke 20% for same microarch family.

Agreed, I think it will be a mix of better IPC + higher clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back