AMD Vega Hardware Reviews

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by ArkeoTP, Jun 30, 2017.

1. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Yo will've stayed Just enoungh to get better valued upgrades, it seems ;)

2. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Is that bad?

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The discount is 10% off the first $1,000 ... or basicly i get a $100 off at amazon per yet. No free prime , no free devices ... just that $100 lol

I can't speak for all of amazon only the part that I am in. But yea its one of the worse companies I have ever worked for

Grall and entity279 like this.
  4. Scott_Arm

Legend

So Wolf 2 runs pretty good on Vega 64

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

But it's not doing any better than average in it compared to competition

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Mh, so the indoor part with little demanding resolution runs very well on 1800X/Vega. Good to know, but not totally unexpected.

Fun fact: Max details (beyond Ultra and Extreme) in the german censored version is called "mein Leben" [my life] - something every gamer makes fun of, since that's what the SS guys in Wolfenstein 3D apparently said and which makes no sense at all as a war cry. :)

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It was actually their death cry. :p

But yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Then again, the original game was just typical pulpy nazi pop-culture schlock mashed together into something that resembled gameplay (it's a fucking boring game by today's standards.) Mecha-Hitler as a level endboss - although curiously not the final endboss though as I recall - and so on. I doubt any of the people at id really spoke any German at all, they probably wrote the enemy lines from what smattering they possessed between them, or with the help of a dictionary...

CarstenS likes this.
  8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Hot dog!

9. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

It's AMD's(formerly?) MattB's vega64 which runs almost 400Mhz faster on core and 300Mhz faster on memory compared to my vega56 at stock and full load.

It's likely guzzling twice the power and yet is off by 100Mhz compared to stock clocks of Pascal cards. AMD really need a miracle on that front.

10. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Really? I think I need to revisit that once I'm outside of my country (it's illegal here because of the use of swastika in a toy - yeah, there you have it, german bureaucracy at it's best: mature rated games count legally as toys, not as entertainment or art, and swastikas in toys make every german a Nazi again).

Anyway, I was just expressing my awe, that the detail settings were renamed back and forth for english version. „Über“ we don't have, for example, despite it being a german word.

Grall likes this.
  11. Digidi

Newcomer

BRiT and Grall like this.
  12. Dygaza

Newcomer

It takes roughly 320W according to afterburner's measurements. That's where you hit the power limit cap. Default settings with default clocks takes around 260W (I got the same card, with same clocks). Just to give some comparision.

BRiT likes this.
  13. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Doesn't afterburner still measure „GPU-only power draw“?

14. Dygaza

Newcomer

Yes it does, same as GPU-Z. I don't have any other tool available atm to test power draw. But it's still valid for comparisions between 2 different Vega cards , as long as measurement tool is the same :)

15. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Sure, but it's not total power consumption.

16. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah definitely not measuring power loss/efficiency of complete card and it is a notable difference, which we know when looking at Polaris as an example between reported by software and measuring with a scope.
    Steven Bassiri does some nice engineering articles that are done in a way for most to enjoy: http://sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-articles/82-vrm-guide

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

So Bethesda and their marketing collaboration with AMD including optimizing the crap out of Wolfenstein II with FP16 etc., didn't have Async enabled for AMD, but did have it enabled for Nvidia. :roll:

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Maybe compiled release version with the wrong options (mistakes can happen, especially as Bethesda released a game in 2011 which deliberately did not use SIMD extensions at all for months), or perhaps they found a bug in the code close to going gold and decided to just go ahead and then fix things afterwards. These days PC games autopatch; it's not a big deal.

BRiT likes this.
  19. DavidGraham

Veteran

pharma likes this.
  20. pharma

Veteran Regular

Apparently it's also turned off on the 1080Ti until a new driver comes next week. From @DavidGraham's link: