AMD Vega Hardware Reviews

Mh, so the indoor part with little demanding resolution runs very well on 1800X/Vega. Good to know, but not totally unexpected.

Fun fact: Max details (beyond Ultra and Extreme) in the german censored version is called "mein Leben" [my life] - something every gamer makes fun of, since that's what the SS guys in Wolfenstein 3D apparently said and which makes no sense at all as a war cry. :)

and which makes no sense at all as a war cry. :)
It was actually their death cry. :p

But yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Then again, the original game was just typical pulpy nazi pop-culture schlock mashed together into something that resembled gameplay (it's a fucking boring game by today's standards.) Mecha-Hitler as a level endboss - although curiously not the final endboss though as I recall - and so on. I doubt any of the people at id really spoke any German at all, they probably wrote the enemy lines from what smattering they possessed between them, or with the help of a dictionary...

But yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Then again, the original game was just typical pulpy nazi pop-culture schlock mashed together into something that resembled gameplay (it's a fucking boring game by today's standards.) Mecha-Hitler as a level endboss - although curiously not the final endboss though as I recall - and so on. I doubt any of the people at id really spoke any German at all, they probably wrote the enemy lines from what smattering they possessed between them, or with the help of a dictionary...
Hot dog!

So Wolf 2 runs pretty good on Vega 64

It's AMD's(formerly?) MattB's vega64 which runs almost 400Mhz faster on core and 300Mhz faster on memory compared to my vega56 at stock and full load.

It's likely guzzling twice the power and yet is off by 100Mhz compared to stock clocks of Pascal cards. AMD really need a miracle on that front.

Really? I think I need to revisit that once I'm outside of my country (it's illegal here because of the use of swastika in a toy - yeah, there you have it, german bureaucracy at it's best: mature rated games count legally as toys, not as entertainment or art, and swastikas in toys make every german a Nazi again).

Anyway, I was just expressing my awe, that the detail settings were renamed back and forth for english version. „Über“ we don't have, for example, despite it being a german word.

It's AMD's(formerly?) MattB's vega64 which runs almost 400Mhz faster on core and 300Mhz faster on memory compared to my vega56 at stock and full load.

It's likely guzzling twice the power and yet is off by 100Mhz compared to stock clocks of Pascal cards. AMD really need a miracle on that front.

It takes roughly 320W according to afterburner's measurements. That's where you hit the power limit cap. Default settings with default clocks takes around 260W (I got the same card, with same clocks). Just to give some comparision.

Doesn't afterburner still measure „GPU-only power draw“?

Yes it does, same as GPU-Z. I don't have any other tool available atm to test power draw. But it's still valid for comparisions between 2 different Vega cards , as long as measurement tool is the same :)

didn't have Async enabled for AMD, but did have it enabled for Nvidia. :rolleyes:
Maybe compiled release version with the wrong options (mistakes can happen, especially as Bethesda released a game in 2011 which deliberately did not use SIMD extensions at all for months), or perhaps they found a bug in the code close to going gold and decided to just go ahead and then fix things afterwards. These days PC games autopatch; it's not a big deal.

The Async implementation was crashing with the new AMD driver, it needed to be disabled in the Day 1 patch. At any rate, Async Compute doesn't appear to be have any major impact really.

w2ac8rkx6.jpg

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/wolfenstein-2-benchmark-async-compute/

So Bethesda and their marketing collaboration with AMD including optimizing the crap out of Wolfenstein II with FP16 etc., didn't have Async enabled for AMD, but did have it enabled for Nvidia. :rolleyes:
Apparently it's also turned off on the 1080Ti until a new driver comes next week. From @DavidGraham's link:
However, there are obviously problems on a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti , because the developers have turned off Async Compute on the model until a new driver appears. This was announced by Nvidia for next week.

Back