AMD RX 7900XTX and RX 7900XT Reviews

I wonder how a flipped horizontal (with GPU facing up) would perform. Would a 90deg rotated (I/O plate facing up) be a worst-case scenario?

I have a silverstone FT05 case still. I love the orientation for the lack of strain on the GPU, but I'd never considered what effect it might have on GPU coolers with full-length vapor chambers, as that would result in the heat source being towards the top half of the chamber.

So that's the first DP 2.1 monitor...
I'm fairly sure that it will have HDMI 2.1 FRL6 as well making DP 2.1 there just an option - it will be interesting to see which UHBR tier it will use though.

Man they are beastly monitors! I'd probably go with the OLED despite it's smaller size (it's still humongous!) and assuming it has decent HDR support (not mentioned in the article). But both are spectacular monitors. Shame they won't fit on my desk :(

Lol, who is this made for? Hammerhead sharks?

If you're referring to 12VHPWR issues with Lovelace then it seems that all of these were user errors in DIY card installations.
Yes but no. PCI-SIG threw NVIDIA & others under the bus for lackluster plug design which didn't give reliable feedback to users (the plugs aren't designed by PCI-SIG)

Yes but no. PCI-SIG threw NVIDIA & others under the bus for lackluster plug design which didn't give reliable feedback to users (the plugs aren't designed by PCI-SIG)
Having used the plug myself now I can say that there's a clear and obvious "feedback" when you plug it in. Maybe it's different with other plugs, dunno.
The location of the socket is a bigger issue IMO as these all tend to be directed outwards of the case which in many cases lead to the side panel actually pushing on the wires in its closed state. They should have really make a L-shaped plug the default option here I'd say.

Having used the plug myself now I can say that there's a clear and obvious "feedback" when you plug it in. Maybe it's different with other plugs, dunno.
The location of the socket is a bigger issue IMO as these all tend to be directed outwards of the case which in many cases lead to the side panel actually pushing on the wires in its closed state. They should have really make a L-shaped plug the default option here I'd say.

As you said above, that's totally a DIYer error and no fault of the cable or card. :p

Regards,
SB

A user had no problem with 7900 XTX 2 weeks but suddenly started hit 110c hotspot temps and get throttling.. He suspects the vapor chamber leaks over time.

Babeltechreviews has AIDA64 benchmarks: https://babeltechreviews.com/hellhound-rx-7900-xtx-vs-rtx-4080-50-games-vr/6/

It doesnt look very good for RDNA3. I really think that RDNA3 was not ready for 2022 but AMD has promised new GPUs in 2022 so they released a "work in process" design to the market.

Those VR benchmarks are brutal. The 7900XTX is usually slower than the 3080Ti and sometimes even slower than the 6900XT. If you want VR performance this is certainly a card to avoid for now.

As I guessed at least for the time being AMD is not initiating a recall for cards that have the hotspot issue. They have decided to have people contact them if they notice high hotspot temps.

Updated 01/04/2023 10:06 am
The editors have received a new statement from AMD. AMD advises users whose Radeon RX 7900 XTX in the reference design lowers the clock ("throttling") for temperature reasons to continue to contact support. AMD will then solve the problem on a case-by-case basis.

The manufacturer currently assumes that the problem has to do with the cooling system of the reference design (MBA), which both AMD and its partners use. Previously, AMD had only announced that it would investigate the topic. The problem concerns " a limited number of tickets sold ". AMD does not provide information such as the number of affected graphics cards, potentially affected batches or serial numbers or whether the misconduct could be narrowed down at all.

We are working to determine the root cause of the unexpected throttling experienced by some while using the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards made by AMD. Based on our observations to-date, we believe the issue relates to the thermal solution used in the AMD reference design and appears to be present in a limited number of the cards sold. We are committed to solving this issue for impacted cards. Customers experiencing this unexpected throttling should contact AMD Support (https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-call).
AMD on January 4th
The manufacturer does not initiate a general recall from the end customer. As Igor's Lab reports, AMD is said to have either exchanged the graphics card for affected customers or refunded the purchase price.

Two graphics cards that were privately delivered to the author of this report in the past calendar week have also already been recalled by wholesalers. It is an MBA design from Sapphire and Asus.

According to the sales partners, the MBA designs from Biostar, PowerColor, XFX and ASRock as well as those that were purchased directly from AMD may also be affected. All graphics cards mentioned are based on AMD's reference design. Not all graphics cards returned from wholesalers have problems, but they do fall into one of the batches that are likely to be affected

The thing is, what percentage of users knows how to check their hotspot temp? They’re going to see a gpu temp that looks pretty normal. If they’re not well versed in monitoring clocks and power they could easily keep playing on a defective card. You’d think someone with a card like that would keep up on the news and know how to check that stuff, but there are probably quite a few that don’t.

Well, at least some of the affected AIBs are doing the right thing and issuing a recall for affected cards even if AMD itself isn't.

Regards,
SB
Huh? Who and where? All I've seen is same AMD is promising: if you have issues contact support for RMA.
Recalling all cards due apparently bad batch would be beyond stupid (we already know the vapor chamber design itself is sound)

Back