AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Yeah I know. It’s an old game but it’s still very much under active development. So not really “old”.

Well, yah, I don't really see anyone adding it to a dead game. But anything that's old and generating money that's still actively played is a good candidate. Rocket League I think is UE3. Perfect game for FSR. Sure, it runs very easily on pretty much anything if you turn down the settings. But FSR could allow some really low end PCs to play the game at high frame rate for competitive play without looking awful.

One of the developers who worked on integrating FSR to their game testified that Unity's built-in TAA implementation wasn't good so he replaced it with AMD Cauldron's TAA. FSR can still be useful to games that don't have a high quality TAA implementation too ...

Half Life: Alyx is another recent game that doesn't have TAA and World of Warcraft despite the developers updating it's graphics still doesn't have TAA. Both are well known PC games where FSR can be easily retrofitted for them and it can be done for remastered content as well ...

Well, changing that parameter in console in-game has no effect (it had to be defined in .ini config file), so he only activated TAAU by "r.TemporalAA.Upsampling 1"

NOTE

Note that unlike the primary spatial upscale, the secondary spatial upscale is static and cannot be changed dynamically in-game.
You can set the secondary screen percentage by using the following console variable in your configuration (.ini) file:

So, yeah, he did a mistake but it didn't had any effect.

So you are claiming the post is meaningless and that DOF isn't broken when TAAU is enabled?

Because even the developer of TAAU states that it is broken when using it.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/gen-5-temporal-anti-aliasing/152107/5
That observation was back in December '20.
However we exactly ran into this issue for our Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo running on PS5, but it is still prototype and I’m not sure whether I’m gonna have this finished by 4.26’s release. But yeah given how temporal upsampling is going to become important, it’s definitely something to fix very high on the priority list.

Epic/Unreal developers do post here and imagine if DOF was an issue it would have come up during discussions about Lumen in the Unreal Engine 5 thread.

Is it something AMD put in the FSR reviewer's guide or issued official statement regarding a potential bug? Sounds like something that would have been caught in QA testing. If it's an issue there should be a comment in a few days since AMD developers do post in this thread.

The reddit poster's title makes his agenda a bit too transparent. He really needs to list all review sites that did the analysis incorrectly, not just Digital Foundry. :rolleyes:

That observation was back in December '20.

Epic/Unreal developers do post here and imagine if DOF was an issue it would have come up during discussions about Lumen in the Unreal Engine 5 thread.

Is it something AMD put in the FSR reviewer's guide or issued official statement regarding a potential bug? Sounds like something that would have been caught in QA testing. If it's an issue there should be a comment in a few days since AMD developers do post in this thread.

The reddit poster's title makes his agenda a bit too transparent. He really needs to list all review sites that did the analysis incorrectly. :rolleyes:

The game doesn't use Unreal engine 5, it uses 4.

It also doesn't natively support TAAU. Digital Foundry was the only one to test TAAU, and they failed to notice that DOF was disabled. They acknowledged that it was wrong because of that thread, but didn't really update their article (same invalid images and conclusion used).

You can easily test it yourself by disabling DOF and comparing it to Native and Native with TAAU.

So not sure how "list all the review sites that did the analysis incorrectly" makes any sense when only Digital Foundry forced TAAU through UU or config files. They are the only site that did it, so the only site that did it incorrectly. Where is the agenda?

So not sure how "list all the review sites that did the analysis incorrectly" makes any sense when only Digital Foundry forced TAAU through UU or config files. They are the only site that did it, so the only site that did it incorrectly. Where is the agenda?
I believe pcgh also forced TAAU in their analysis.

I believe pcgh also forced TAAU in their analysis.

Their review covers Anno 1800, Terminator, and The Riftbreaker from what I see.

Are you denying that TAAU is breaking DepthOfField and claiming that Digital Foundry's TAAU vs Native comparison is valid?

Also not sure why you are claiming that AMD should have done something about it, TAAU isn't their tech and it was just forced on by Digital Foundry and not supported in the game directly.

What is the agenda being pushed?

The game doesn't use Unreal engine 5, it uses 4.

It also doesn't natively support TAAU. Digital Foundry was the only one to test TAAU, and they failed to notice that DOF was disabled. They acknowledged that it was wrong because of that thread, but didn't really update their article (same invalid images and conclusion used).

You can easily test it yourself by disabling DOF and comparing it to Native and Native with TAAU.

And FSR is using additional sharpening unlike the native rendering to create the illusion it looks as good or even better. Doesnt this bother you, too?

Not sure what your problem is. Try reading the PCGH review ... they set UE4's TAAU for a comparison test. They also did not mention in their review that it broke DOF.
To check this, we have set the game's own TAAU (Temporal Anti-Aliasing Upsample) of the Unreal Engine 4 to comparable pixel quantities, as they are also used in the various FSR modes. As a reminder, FSR does not replace the game's own anti-aliasing, but takes it as input. We therefore compare TAAU with TAAU + FSR.

And FSR is using additional sharpening unlike the native rendering to create the illusion it looks as good or even better. Doesnt this bother you, too?

Why would it bother me? Does it bother you that DLSS has sharpening as well? Its part of how it works and is the expected functionality. Why would it bother me?

TAAU disabling effects because its bugged is not expected functionality. Comparing DOF off vs DOF on and saying they are equal is invalid testing.

Back