AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Developers need advanced upscaling techniques for the consoles.

All the best ones are working on more advanced forms of pixel insertion, they have no need for techniques which slot easily into ancient ways of using an engine ... they are more agile. TAA and even TAAU (and even DLSS) are compromises to maintain some decade old practices as long as possible. FSR isn't even a worthy compromise for AAA console devs, it's just plain bad.

If AMD wanted to make that their message they would have done so explicitly. TAAU has a more significant performance impact than FSR which AMD clearly isn't interested in promoting. They are working against TAAU, right along with NVIDIA.

If it succeeds on PC despite both NVIDIA and AMD's efforts it's a fucking miracle.
What you need for TAAU is the same which you need for DLSS so how is Nvidia working against TAAU?

In fact AMD could've taken advantage of that and provide a plugable TAAU solution which would just substitute DLSS in titles where it is being integrated. Everyone would be happy with that I think. Well, Nv wouldn't but whatever.

All the best ones are working on more advanced forms of pixel insertion, they have no need for techniques which slot easily into ancient ways of using an engine ... they are more agile. TAA and even TAAU (and even DLSS) are compromises to maintain some decade old practices as long as possible.

4A Games developed a new upscaling technique for Metro EE which is used for consoles and PC. And the UE4 supports TAAU as an upscaling option for smaller studios.

And with Microsoft and Sony. From their blog:
For 9th generation consoles, we have also implemented our own dynamic resolution and temporal upscaling system which maintains high resolution image quality while targeting 60FPS performance.

Temporal Reconstruction and Up-sampling was a component that was critical to get right as it was quite clear from the beginning that the performance (with Ray Tracing) would be much more variable than before. [...]A lot of work has gone into balancing this technique both for the final quality (which is to say the quality of the entire output image) and the speed at which this process operates.

There is a need for high quality upscaling especially with Raytracing.

I don't remember explicitly saying this in the podcast, but certainly one of the goals for FidelityFX Super Resolution was low performance overhead in addition to cross-platform compatibility (including older GPUs), ease of integration and open source access.
thanks for the podcast and the reply, I listened to it and I wonder.., have you considered forcing this technique on the GPU drivers so any game could benefit from it? I love gaming at 1440p and high framerates but sometimes you can't at that resolution, plus my favourite game ever, Divinity Original Sin 2, at 1440p can't be played at high framerates without the GPU heating up a little. 1080p internal to 1440p looks horrible on any 1440p monitor, so I avoid 1080p like the plague, but with FSR the image would look great, 'cos it's not a simple 1080p to 1440p conversion.

Imho, the feature of using it in the drivers could be revolutionary. Keep up the good work, guys.

What you need for TAAU is the same which you need for DLSS so how is Nvidia working against TAAU?
TAAU support mostly benefits AMD (even though AMD doesn't seem to realise it). When they are throwing money at you, you know what's expected of you. Which is to say, don't support TAAU on PC.
In fact AMD could've taken advantage of that and provide a plugable TAAU solution which would just substitute DLSS in titles where it is being integrated. Everyone would be happy with that I think. Well, Nv wouldn't but whatever.
They wouldn't use it, because they know the money would stop flowing and it's easy enough to come up with excuses for why it would still be too much work.

With Unreal Engine, TAAU being core and DLSS being a plugin it becomes kinda hard to come up with those excuses. But if only a few lonely voices on enthusiast websites who don't care about running afoul of AMD/NVIDIA marketing strategy speak up, it's still not going to happen.

I think FSR is great when you actually dont need more performance and just a sharper image.
imo, it's a preview of the future, smarter pixels rather than raw power pixels. They are giving it away for free, and the support to GPUs of all eras and APUs -seen it running on a AMD 4650- along with it being open source is interesting to say the least. It's not a simple checkerboard, nor bilinear, nor something similar.
Wow, I can see that now, thx

So, I think Alex/Dictator should reconsider a retest
talking of DF review, 4k is nice and all, but I have a 4K monitor and I dont use for gaming at all, I just dont care, as I prefer higher framerates. Hope that when the tech is more mature, they mention other details and resolutions. The content they share is great, but there is more to it than that.

And with Microsoft and Sony. From their blog:

There is a need for high quality upscaling especially with Raytracing.
MS admitted themselves that the technology will be on Xbox consoles. In that sense it's kind of "exclusive", the greatest buzzword ever in the console gaming space. But being open source in July that compatibility doesnt mean much, I think. Sony is going to, and should implement it, 'cos in games where FSR works well you could see the Series S beating the PS5 to a pulp with similar image quality and better performance. :)

MS admitted themselves that the technology will be on Xbox consoles. In that sense it's kind of "exclusive", the greatest buzzword ever in the console gaming space. But being open source in July that compatibility doesnt mean much, I think. Sony is going to, and should implement it, 'cos in games where FSR works well you could see the Series S beating the PS5 to a pulp with similar image quality and better performance. :)
All consoles use various reconstruction tech for years now. FSR won't bring anything new into console space, and I don't expect many devs to suddenly start using it over their own or provided by the engine solutions.

All consoles use various reconstruction tech for years now. FSR won't bring anything new into console space, and I don't expect many devs to suddenly start using it over their own or provided by the engine solutions.
judging by the performance metrics + IQ I highly doubt it is working.

No mate. FSR runs on hardware older than Xbox one X. Ps5 will have whatever Xbox is having.

Back