All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already selling at that price in France ( Amazon) and not much higher in Italy. Spain and Germany. Doesn't really seems to have any effect on the sales.

In the usa its still $300 except for flash sales on woot and amazon , both instances they sell out extremely fast.

What's the article's source? Did they get that number from MS, or just add up the list we saw earlier taking the 9.5 for Halo 5 as given? We have to be wary of the internet's natural ability to be an echo chamber. One source can become self-validating through repeated reference.

It seems likely to be near that number considering that Halo franchise was at 65 million all the way back in 2015-07-02 which is before the release of Halo 5 [Source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2015/07/02/xbox-xbox-at-sdcc-2015/ ] So over the next 6 years they added another 16 million sales across all Halo titles.

"Building the Halo Universe with the Collectible Mega Bloks Series (Room 24ABC: Sunday, July 12, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
A worldwide fan-base of passionate players building an epic universe beyond gameplay. With over 65 million Halo game titles and over 35 million Mega Bloks Halo sets sold, some of the world’s most hyper-engaged fans are bringing the Halo universe to life through construction, helping to shape this legendary world in their own way. "

That's still estimates though. Perhaps that's what VGSales did to get its 9.5 Million. However, if we're going to use definitive values, we need definitive sources. Until we get a source or unambiguous paper trail leading to a revised figure, the only defined count we have is this one:

Of course it's likely sold more since then, but we need a more conclusive reference. Or just not fuss about it, depending on what the argument is and how important it is to nail the accurate H5 sales! ;)

We know in February 2021 the Halo games sold more than 81 million copies [ https://deadline.com/2021/02/halo-tv-series-latest-paramount-plus-move-1234698703/amp/ ]

"Halo reinvented how people think about video games and has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon, having sold more than 81 million copies worldwide."​

Keep in mind the new number includes the release of Halo: MCC onto PC (2019) which generated fairly good sales. Estimated 5-10 million on Steam and an unknown amount on the Microsoft Store. That would also include sales of the PC version of Halo Wars as well as Halo Wars 2 (2017) that the previous 65 million number doesn't include.

It's also interesting to note that while Halo 4 was ported to PC, 343i hasn't bothered to port Halo 5 to PC. And from the last thing I read back in 2021, 343i said there was no plans to port Halo 5 to PC. If the title had sold well I can't imagine they wouldn't have wanted to port it to PC to generate more sales.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
It's also interesting to note that while Halo 4 was ported to PC, 343i hasn't bothered to port Halo 5 to PC. And from the last thing I read back in 2021, 343i said there was no plans to port Halo 5 to PC. If the title had sold well I can't imagine they wouldn't have wanted to port it to PC to generate more sales.
Which is irrefutable evidence that the 'Master Chief' in Halo 5 is a fake. Only the real Chief made it into the PC MCC.

Sony gave an idea about the PS5 demand compared to the PS4

ps515.jpg

2022-05-26-08-44-18.png

Last edited:
Looks good for sony if they can produce enough units in the future and demand still stays the same. They did fail to make the number of units forecasted already so it is a bit of a concern there

Looks good for sony if they can produce enough units in the future and demand still stays the same. They did fail to make the number of units forecasted already so it is a bit of a concern there
TSMC have been consistent about not being able to meet many high volume customer's needs. Since November, this has resulted in various statements and re-statements by manufacturers about lack of supply.

Nintendo and Sony have issued reduced expected sales numbers for PS5 and Switch in 2022 and Valve had to push back the SteamDeck release and availability this year remains limited. This whilst issue is not going away soon, but from what TSMC have said, it's not likely going to get worse, it just will not materially get much better until 2023.

The only way to get more supply right now if you find another TSMC customers using the same process as you need and buy it from them, i.e. buy their line allotment. You can bet your ass that is going on for some.

China is just exploding on all growth fronts these days. I wonder what Xbox numbers look like there for compare?

Also find it funny how ten yrs ago Intel's owned US foundries were a huge advantage. Now they cant hope to keep up with TSMC (big reason AMD surged ahead was using TSMC). What a massive, massive facility that must be.

China is just exploding on all growth fronts these days. I wonder what Xbox numbers look like there for compare?

Also find it funny how ten yrs ago Intel's owned US foundries were a huge advantage. Now they cant hope to keep up with TSMC (big reason AMD surged ahead was using TSMC). What a massive, massive facility that must be.

Intel's foundries are still a huge advantage. AMD still can't produce as many CPUs as Intel can. So, while AMD does get a bit of a process advantage, they don't benefit from a volume advantage.

AMD CPU Market Share Soars Across Desktop, Laptop, and Server Segments in Q1 2022: Approaches 30% Mark | Hardware Times

Close to 30% being ~27.7%. So Intel is still moving ~2.6x more CPUs than AMD can move.

So, yeah. The process advantage at TSMC is allowing AMD CPUs to be competitive and they are in demand, but they are still far behind Intel WRT CPU sales and that's purely down to Intel owning their own foundries.

Regards,
SB

Didn't it take Samsung , TSMC and Global Foundries coming together to fix their fabs ?

Intel's foundries are still a huge advantage. AMD still can't produce as many CPUs as Intel can. So, while AMD does get a bit of a process advantage, they don't benefit from a volume advantage.

AMD CPU Market Share Soars Across Desktop, Laptop, and Server Segments in Q1 2022: Approaches 30% Mark | Hardware Times

Close to 30% being ~27.7%. So Intel is still moving ~2.6x more CPUs than AMD can move.

So, yeah. The process advantage at TSMC is allowing AMD CPUs to be competitive and they are in demand, but they are still far behind Intel WRT CPU sales and that's purely down to Intel owning their own foundries.

Regards,
SB

That's always been the case Intel has massive intrinsic size advantages even now if not always though, they are just bigger, tied in with OEM's and that helps a lot with reliability in laptops and things. I fear AMD may never catch up in those areas. I remember years ago when AMD was at another high it was same story, Intel was still shipping 70% of the chips even if AMD had 80% of the end individual builder sales or whatever, it's very hard to dethrone a Intel or Nvidia. But a big part pf the whole Ryzen revolution was AMD being able to leapfrog a node on TSMC while Intel was stuck struggling on 14nm for ages, it became a meme. Last I saw Intel had contracted some of their CPU's to TSMC essentially waving the white flag, and are also going to farm out their own foundries for non cutting edge stuff, so a definite sea change that management recognized was needed.

Nvidia is fabless and I'd wager ships as much or more silicon than Intel. Actually going with Samsung initially for ampere kind of bit them as well and theyre back to TSMC.

The article I saw about it framed it as a volume issue. TMSC was able to leap ahead because they just do much more volume than Intel can being by itself.

With that in mind, I'm both ecstatic and humbled to share that the Marvel's Spider-Man series now has sold through more than 33 million copies globally, as of May 15, 2022.

Marvel Spiderman Series sold through more than 33 million copies since 2018 on PS4 and PS5.

The article I saw about it framed it as a volume issue. TMSC was able to leap ahead because they just do much more volume than Intel can being by itself.
That doesn't come close to describing TSMC, they fab more chips than Intel, Samsung, Global Foundries, UMC and SMIC combined.

Marvel Spiderman Series sold through more than 33 million copies since 2018 on PS4 and PS5.

Makes sense Spiderman has been part of the zeitgeist for 60 years . He was in blockbuster movies for the last 20 years with 8 main line live action movies along with appearing in 3 cross over marvel movies . And a huge animated movie in 2018.

There are few other characters that can boast that brand recognition. I would put maybe Superman and Batman up there with him and some other marvel characters starting to catch up.

It was a huge win for sony having the rights exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back