All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I wouldn't be surprised if either won, but I gotta say that I'm surprised at the results. With all the discounts/bundles, and that the PS4 didn't have steady supply until the second half of the month, I was leaning towards the XB1 winning. Apparently the gap was at least 60k too, which is even more surprising. I had the PS4 at ~400k and the XB1 at ~440k. Curious what the actual numbers are. Either the PS4 did really well, or XB1 did lower than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW NPD does NOT count bundled software, unlike Chart Track. So Titanfall's win is a bit more impressive imo. It won obviously only on the strength of stand-alone sales.

Not really a surprise, probably half of XB1 owners bought the console with TF in mind. The attach rate is probably very high, even higher with the bundle.

Wow I did not expect that at all, though for the xbone this is perhaps the best news as its a real wakeup call to MS that their strategy has failed

kinectless xbone with pricecut coming in . 3 . 2 . 1

Speechless. I really expected that MS crazy marketing campaign and blatant a$%kissing of the game from media and youtubers will push Xbone to the top.

PS4 is basically unstoppable until holiday now. There is NOTHING on the horizon for Xbone that MS can use to push marketing in its favor. All 3rd parties are better on PS4, both Watch_Dogs (~start of summer) and Destiny (~end of summer) are in Sony marketing camp, price difference is pushing users to Sony, PS+ offers GREAT games, lots of people are still remembering how MS tried to push DRM and TV....

Anyone making an NPD thread for future historical reference? It's going to be rather messy trying to do searches otherwise.

BTW NPD does NOT count bundled software, unlike Chart Track. So Titanfall's win is a bit more impressive imo. It won obviously only on the strength of stand-alone sales.

PC numbers on titanfall would be interesting..

I guess titanfall didn't really move xb1, or maybe it actually did , I wonder how xb1 would have looked without titanfall...

Wow Xbox hardware:

Xbox One: 311K
Xbox 360: 111K

Wow that's terrible for Xbox One. I think offhand it might be a LOWER weekly sales rate than February (remember March=5 weeks vs most months=4)

This about seals drastic measures coming up (at E3 I assume) for X One imo. Possibly the end of Kinect pack-in...

Edit: Yup, February XB1=258k, /4=64.5k, X5=322k.

X1 sales rate actually declined (IMO February's rate boosted by tax returns, XB1's 141k in January more representative of baseline imo)

Eh i wouldnt call it terrible. Comfortably crushing what 360 did in march 2006

I dont think new MS CEO is going to take a bath when its beating 360 so far.

Eh i wouldnt call it terrible. Comfortably crushing what 360 did in march 2006

I dont think new MS CEO is going to take a bath when its beating 360 so far.

thats not impressive either.. considering in Feb XBO sold 258 / 4 (in 4 weeks) So 64.5k per week..

Now in March 311/5 (in 5 weeks) so 62.2k per week.. which is 2k less than last month with unofficial price cut and bundling..

and PS4 60k more than XBO according to thuway.. So PS4 ~ 371k

Hmm not just an amazing number for Sony either, given a 5 week month, and March, well NPD ended April 6 I think, so PS4 started coming into decent stock in March, at least Amazon had it most of the month, although it's continued trending better in April.

For me the party just got a bit more downbeat. I guess you could argue healthy numbers, maybe?

Hmm not just an amazing number for Sony either, given a 5 week month, and March, well NPD ended April 6 I think, so PS4 started coming into decent stock in March, at least Amazon had it most of the month, although it's continued trending better in April.

For me the party just got a bit more downbeat. I guess you could argue healthy numbers, maybe?
Judging by online retailers and anecdotal evidence, the PS4 didn't have steady supply until the second half of the month. Amazon was the only online retailer that had stock for the majority of the month, all but 1.5-2 weeks IIRC.
I'm not seeing this anywhere else but, this guy reports gaming for WSJ

https://twitter.com/iansherr/status/456925673593241600
5M shipped, so probably ~4.2M? That's pretty good in its own right. However the rest of the year doesn't look so bright, considering the sales per week actually dropped after their biggest release of the year, and several discounts at many large retailers. A permanent price drop is definitely going to be announced at E3 if this keeps up.

I think Infamous was no match to TitanFall and PS4 still winning is impressive and winning with a comfortable margin... With FF this month, MLB next month and then possible TLOU and other titles in between i think things are looking pretty good... Only if we remember what were the hopes a year before the release of these consoles... when XBO was supposedly bigger and better and PS4 was thought to be under powered and weak.. and XBOX 360 was crushing PS3...

Now i think our hopes have gone beyond reasonable..

I will just like to add XBO numbers are pretty impressive... just thought they will improve per week sales with these amazing promotion and TitanFall..

Edit: a more official source for 5m XO shipped http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/m...t-thats-far-short-of-sonys-7m-sold-to-gamers/

Interesting. Seems MS is giving a preview of their quarterly figures here. Since they already shipped 3.9 at Dec 31, they will ship at most 1.1 in Jan-March. But probably a bit less, since they announce 5m on 4/17, and the quarterly figures will only count until 3/31.

They're doing well to have a positive ship number above 3-400k tho imo. I could see a potential PR disaster looming there, since they had 900k in the channel as of January, and sales were exceedingly slow at that point. Luckily for them TF+unofficial price drop "rescued" them.

I think Infamous was no match to TitanFall and PS4 still winning is impressive and winning with a comfortable margin... With FF this month, MLB next month and then possible TLOU and other titles in between i think things are looking pretty good... Only if we remember what were the hopes a year before the release of these consoles... when XBO was supposedly bigger and better and PS4 was thought to be under powered and weak.. and XBOX 360 was crushing PS3...

Now i think our hopes have gone beyond reasonable..

I will just like to add XBO numbers are pretty impressive... just thought they will improve per week sales with these amazing promotion and TitanFall..

We should keep in my mind PS4 basically started coming out of supply shortage in March though. It should have been expected to see a large boost, as pent up demand was satisfied. That's why I was putting odds at 50-50 who won NPD.

I think April is phase 2 of PS4 coming in stock, and it could be more months before we establish a non-constrained PS4 baseline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back