All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likely that info trickling on from GAF and tweets and press releases. Its not an exact release that we see. Most of the numbers we see are reversed calculation based on total numbers and percentage increase year over year or month to month. We might not get a better idea until Monday/Tuesday.

Excellent job Sony, good job MS.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/442452/npd-ps4-tops-xbox-one-in-north-american-november-sales/

Acting just ahead of NPD's final announcement today, Sony keenly sent a statement from SCEA president and CEO Jack Tretton declaring the news that the PS4 outsold its rival Xbox One in the consoles' opening month on sale. The PS4 was released on November 15, one week before Xbox One which arrived Nov. 22, putting it at a slight disadvantage.

Microsoft, however, extracts positives from another angle, claiming Xbox One to be the "fastest-selling console" in North America in November, averaging 101k units sold per day since its November 22 launch, according to Larry Hryb. But with the vast majority of units for both console having been sold within their first day on sale, (and fewer days to divide these sales between than the PS4) this means very little.

My guess is 1.25M for PS4. We know Xbox One was 909K.

Good numbers for both companies. It also means that Xbox One sold more per day than Sony. ~101k units per day average for Xbox One. Less for PS4. Which is totally not unexpected as Sony had to provide consoles for 32 countries versus only 13 countries for MS. It also seems to indicate that Sony possibly allocated very few units to the US after their initial launch.

Hopefully we'll get some concrete info from Sony. We already know they sold less than 1.5 million in November, otherwise MS couldn't claim the per day average volume crown.

So it can't possibly be 1.5 million or more.

At the most it could be 1.3 million as worldwide Sony sold 2.1 million total as of December 1st. 700k in Europe + Australasia. And an unknown number of consoles for all countries that aren't in the EU, US and Astralasia.

I'd guess that's going to be at least 100k or more for Latin America. Unless they just pretended to launch in Latin America with less than 10k units per country (10 Latin American countries on the launch list).

Also an unknown number of units for Canada which isn't included in the US NPD numbers. The over 1 million in the first 24 hours is for US and Canada combined.

So US NPD for PS4 might be closer to 1.1 - 1.2 million. Probably closer to 1.1 million depending on how many they shipped to Canada. I mean I'd hope they'd ship more than 100k units to Canada for the 15 days it was available there.

Regards,
SB

Good numbers for both companies. It also means that Xbox One sold more per day than Sony. ~101k units per day average for Xbox One. Less for PS4. Which is totally not unexpected as Sony had to provide consoles for 32 countries versus only 13 countries for MS. It also seems to indicate that Sony possibly allocated very few units to the US after their initial launch.

Very much so. However from what I know, Sony has a large shipment or shipments for the coming weeks leading up to Christmas (520k units)... with Wal-Mart and GameStop having the majority.

I'm going to say now for the record, Sony will reach 3.3 million in worldwide sales by the end of the calendar year, with MS at 2.6-2.7 million worldwide. We shall see... :smile:

Very much so. However from what I know, Sony has a large shipment or shipments for the coming weeks leading up to Christmas (520k units)... with Wal-Mart and GameStop having the majority.

I'm going to say now for the record, Sony will reach 3.3 million in worldwide sales by the end of the calendar year, with MS at 2.6-2.7 million worldwide. We shall see... :smile:

Additionally, unless they want to say F-U to the rest of the world. There's a good chance that Xbox One will top Dec. US NPD sales charts. Much easier to supply US + 12 other countries for the Holidays than to suppy US + 31 other countries for the Holidays. But Sony should come out ahead world wide. For the month of December, Sony won't have as much of a supply lead as they had in Nov. due to starting manufacturing earlier.

It all depends on how much Sony wants to take the sales crown in the US at the expense of the rest of the world (respective launch countries where the console is "officially" available).

Regards,
SB

Nintendo WiiU: 220K units
"Acording to Nintendo, Wii U sales increased by more than 340 percent over sales in October"

Microsoft Xbox One: 909K units
Microsoft Xbox 360: 647K units

Another number, 3DS =770k (from Nintendo PR)

360 was lower than I expected.

I had 360 I believe ~1.6m behind Wii going into November in USA lifetime sales, so even if Wii sold zero 360 wont gain more than ~600k. Wii is holding onto it's slim lifetime lead quite stubbornly.

For comparison, 360 did 326,000 in November of 2005. So there was almost 3X more One launch supply.

PS3 did a paltry 196,000 in November 2006. So PS4 will have 5X+ more launch supply. Pretty astonishing really.

Then throw in PS4/One launching together, and you see why ebay prices were quite muted. Between the two consoles, huge amounts were going into consumers hands.

I guess this is the side effect of doing modest 140 watt consoles with a single SOC this time?

creamsugar (GAF NPD insider) keeps giving cryptic hints. Like this one:
COD

1 6.42%
4 7.39%
360 55.45%
3 30.42%
u 0.33%

Pretty obvious there, platform percentages for COD:Ghosts.

Surprised Xone version comes so close to PS4 already. Dat 720P.

Also here's the actual software table, and platforms should be listed in sales order PS4 usually>Xbone is notable. Also PS4 version of ACIV over PS3 version is pretty crazy imo assuming it's not some NPD typo. I mean wow, talk about how fast current gen eclipses past.

138689058428yfpko.jpg

Famousmortimer who is another "insider" has said:

Ps4 was about 200k over xb1. Barely moved 100k the rest of the month after launch. Sacrificing huge NA lead for huge WW lead. Xb1 will win December in NA.

If to be believed, about 1.1m for PS4...

He also said Wii U is 232k (slightly different than the previous 220k estimate).

If we believe him.

And more fun splits from creamsuger (X1 vs PS4)

AC
1 - 30.95%
4 - 69.05%

NSF
1 - 16.71%
4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
3 - 17.11%

NFL
1 - 40.12%
4 - 59.88%

2K14
1 - 34.84%
4 - 65.16%

FIFA 14
1 - 35.43%
4 - 64.57%

NBA 14
1 - 43.40%
4 - 56.60%

The splits seem high for PS4 to only have a 200k hardware lead. Maybe because X1's bigger exclusives lineup ate into multiplat sales more? I could see a ton of bros picking up Dead Rising 3 in lieu of another game.

Timing could be another factor, a gaffer noted NBA Live 14 was the only one to come out at the same time and the splits are closer. Forza would have crippled NFS's sales on XBO too.

Well, a whole bunch of things. The NPD chart that is released to the public does not attempt to estimate digital download sales. And even if they did, it would be a gross estimate at best.

Exclusives on either console won't show up due to aggregate platform numbers for software sales. So it's difficult to tell if exclusives had an impact.

Basically NPD is worthless for software sales numbers now. It's still interesting for the hardware numbers, however.

Also, no surprise that Just Dance 2014 is the only next gen multiplatform release that did better on Xbox One than PS4.

And interesting that my napkin math just about nailed the US PS4 sales number (close to 1.1 million).

As well, it's interesting that while NA (US + Canada) got over 1 million units allocated to it for launch day. The EU got less than 700k (700k is combined EU + Australasia) for launch day. It wouldn't surprise me if the EU only got around 500-550k allocated to it for launch day. Roughly half of NA. Explains why some people in the EU are going to be waiting well into next year before they get their pre-order PS4 depending on which launch country they were in.

While the UK got well stocked, I'd imagine PS4 shipments to some of the smaller EU countries were miniscule in comparison.

Regards,
SB

Famousmortimer who is another "insider" has said:

If to be believed, about 1.1m for PS4...

He also said Wii U is 232k (slightly different than the previous 220k estimate).

If we believe him.

And more fun splits from creamsuger (X1 vs PS4)

The splits seem high for PS4 to only have a 200k hardware lead. Maybe because X1's bigger exclusives lineup ate into multiplat sales more? I could see a ton of bros picking up Dead Rising 3 in lieu of another game.

Timing could be another factor, a gaffer noted NBA Live 14 was the only one to come out at the same time and the splits are closer. Forza would have crippled NFS's sales on XBO too.

Makes sense. Also I keep hearing that Europe overall (except UK) prefers PS4 to Xbox somewhat so it makes sense that there would be more soccer sales also it released earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back