All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much of a take on things , doesn't seem to be concerned that a lot of the extra momentum on the ps4 side can be due to the amount of territories its released in vs the xbox one.

To be fair I doubt MS delayed their launch in any territory where they have a strong customer base but I agree its not much of a take bc both platforms are supply constrained ATM. Sony has price and strong first party studios while MS has Live MP multiplier and timed exclusives - early days we'll have to wait to see whose tail wind is stronger.

Funny thing you said that... two weeks ago, PS4 warriors were claiming the same thing when XB1 reached it 1 million sales number in 24hrs. Now, it's the XB1 warriors claiming PS4 is only ahead because of more territories. :LOL:

My thing is this, if you can supply them - why not? To me it shows "who has the better and stronger" distribution channels and greater production yields on meeting them. Next year numbers are going to be the funniest... :D

MS officially cut their launch territories due to issues with VR - personally I think it was a strategic. They probably wanted to get the install base in their core markets going asap and benefit from the fact that friends buy the console that their friends buy so they can play online together. That isn't to say that there weren't issues with VR and Kinect IU but certainly VR wasn't delayed in the UK in favor of Japan and for a good reason.

LOL. Thats a horrible take on things.

November NPD will be a matter of supply not demand. And Sony can't maintain a 750K a week pace. The 2.1 million figure isn't based on a production rate of close to a million consoles a week. That defies logic. I doubt anyone else has projected that PS4 shipments potentially jumped to 2.85 mil since last week's figure of 2.1.

What did Kaz Hirai graduate from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?

When the supply issues evaporates Sony's advantage will show its face.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing we can conclude from these sales numbers, is that with the current demand we are getting the production number and distribution capabilities, which to no shock is neck at neck.

The interesting part is when Sony can meet demand in the USA, will they then fall behind, PS3 history tells us they should. Will Microsoft keep up in Europe when they finally come around to launch in all countries.

Apart from showing that none of consoles fell through these numbers are borderline useless.. How much did the WII U sell?

LOL. Thats a horrible take on things.

November NPD will be a matter of supply not demand. And Sony can't maintain a 750K a week pace. The 2.1 million figure isn't based on a production rate of close to a million consoles a week. That defies logic. I doubt anyone else has projected that PS4 shipments potentially jumped to 2.85 mil since last week's figure of 2.1.

What did Kaz Hirai graduate from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?

When the supply issues evaporates Sony's advantage will show its face.

It's a horrible take because it doesn't fit one camps "beliefs", especially when it pertains to their purchase. But that's my take...

Anyhow, if Sony productions are meeting 900k (possibly a million a month), and production started in September, hence the million or so available for the North American launch and another stockpile buildup of 900k-1mill in October for the EU and other territories launch, that leaves a lot of production buildup (shipping in-between) during November. If we are to believe MS is producing the same yield of units per month, and possibly started in early October... that would indicate they are behind by roughy 500k-700k units in sales. However, if MS production did start before September, or even on the same day as PS4 production, that would mean XB1 sales are actually slower and that units are sitting around somewhere. Plus, my numbers I mentioned months ago, are coming true or close to accurate from my sources. Don't believe me, just read my previous post on potential sales numbers...

FYI: If anyone wants to know BestBuy/GameStop US sales numbers - let me know. :smile:

It's a horrible take because it doesn't fit one camps "beliefs", especially when it pertains to their purchase. But that's my take...

Anyhow, if Sony productions are meeting 900k (possibly a million a month), and production started in September, hence the million or so available for the North American launch and another stockpile buildup of 900k-1mill in October for the EU and other territories launch, that leaves a lot of production buildup (shipping in-between) during November. If we are to believe MS is producing the same yield of units per month, and possibly started in early October... that would indicate they are behind by roughy 500k-700k units in sales. However, if MS production did start before September, or even on the same day as PS4 production, that would mean XB1 sales are actually slower and that units are sitting around somewhere. Plus, my numbers I mentioned months ago, are coming true or close to accurate from my sources. Don't believe me, just read my previous post on potential sales numbers...

FYI: If anyone wants to know BestBuy/GameStop US sales numbers - let me know. :smile:

I'm game - out of curiosity what's the source?

In January or shortly after you will see Xbox One (especially) and PS4 sitting on shelves collecting dust, hard as it may be to imagine.
If demand is as high as being reported in some quarters, stocks may still be tight. Plus there will likely be a demand spike at Christmas. Not for Christmas mind but on and after Christmas as folks visit friends and family, see their new cool console and suddenly realise they want one themselves.

The first meaningful numbers will probably be those including this year and the first full quarter of the coming calendar year. And even then, they'll be meaningless as an indicator long term. Look at PS3; it launched late, crazy priced, Sony had alienated just about everybody and six/seven years later its sold as many units as 360. Nobody could have called that during launch, six months in, 12 months in or even two years after launch.

So you're saying that Sony plan to allocate 70-80% of all console made to the US? So 700-800k for the US and 200-300k for the rest of the world each month? I think that'd be just a bit ridiculous.

And they obviously didn't stockpile 900k-1 million for the EU + rest of world launch in Oct. as they didn't sell that many during the first 24 hours of worldwide launch when every single console that was available was sold.

Unless of course we assume that after the US launch they allocated Zero units to the US. Over 1 million units after first 24 hours in US. After the rest of the world got their units, total worldwide sales/shipments stood at 2.1 million according to your own link. So, unless they allocated Zero units to the US during those 15 days, there was no 900k-1 million stockpile for the rest of the world.

From the limited sales numbers released thus far, it's quite apparent that Sony and MS are manufacturing consoles at a similar rate and the only reason Sony has more units sold is that they started manufacturing a month or two earlier than MS.

The other takeaway from that is that MS can supply far more consoles per country (13) than Sony (32) considering how both consoles are supply limited and manufacturing similar numbers of consoles per month.

Regards,
SB

If the author is right, Sony should be releasing "3 million PS4s sold" statement in the next day or two as its an opportune moment to s@# on MS's PR statement of 2 million.

I know Japan should be going "WTF!!!" right now giving that Sony is going to push 5 million units out to the rest of the world before they get to buy a PS4. Thats based off your production estimates.

PR is a funny thing. It would be news if Sony/MS they couldnt sell 2 million that they shipped like the Wii U

They will slow after 5 million and then you see if they are really selling anything meaningful

@Silent, dobwal and baby...

No! What I’m saying is that Sony provided over 1 Million units for the US/Canada launch alone (which sold out within 24hrs), and provided another million units worldwide for the EU and other territories during November. Thus, indicating 900k (possibly, 1 Million) units are being produced a month. If, September was the start of the PS4 production, then it would make sense that between September and the end of October, Sony would have amassed a total over 1.8-2 million units during that period. I’m not saying Sony stockpiled 2 million units in warehousing… but in its totality during this period. Thus, leaving November production (producing) thousands of units to fill in the gaps in-between all territories (if that is the case).

If the production numbers hold true, at a 900k-1 million a month, starting in September. That would mean Sony could/should produce 3.6 million units on the low-end and possibly 4 million on the high-end (between September and December). Realistically, I’m more inclined to believe 3.1-3.4 million units being built during that period. So, in theory Sony can say they sold 3.1-3.4 million units worldwide in 2013, and meeting its 5 million units sold goal in mid-March.

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear enough. They sold 700k across the EU and another 400k between the other territories (including the US) during the launch period up to Sony announcement of selling more than 2.1 million systems worldwide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@everyone else

I can happily report that 456k PS4 units were sold between GameStop and BestBuy during the launch period, and 232k XB1 units during its launch period (North America Sales Only). Please remember, I do not have any sales figures for Amazon, Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, Costco’s, SAMs Club, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Kmart, Sears, or any other retailer/e-retailer. These are only GameStop and BestBuy figures.

Side Note 1: XB1 did beat out PS4 during Black Friday sales between GameStop and BestBuy (other retailers/e-retailers probably the same). Most GS\BB stores were carrying 7-13 PS4s compared to 17-22 XB1 per store during the Black Friday sales.

Side Note 2: Currently, GameStop has over 1.8 million PS4 customer waits/notify in the system and a little over 400k waits/notify for XB1.

Side Note 3: GameStop was the largest provider of PS4 units during its launch. Amazon is rumored "amongst retail" to carried more XB1 units, than any other retailer/e-retailer.

Not much of a take on things , doesn't seem to be concerned that a lot of the extra momentum on the ps4 side can be due to the amount of territories its released in vs the xbox one.

Nope :LOL:

The extra territories are not much more sales.

The other takeaway from that is that MS can supply far more consoles per country (13) than Sony (32) .

Well, not really :LOL: Most of the countries above the 13 will make little difference. MS will not be able to supply more to the USA be because they launched in only 13, well not much more anyway.

I can happily report that 456k PS4 units were sold between GameStop and BestBuy during the launch period, and 232k XB1 units during its launch period (North American Sales Only). Please remember, I do not have any sales figures for Amazon, Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, Costco’s, SAMs Club, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Kmart, Sears, or any other retailer/e-retailer. These are only GameStop and BestBuy figures.

Side Note 1: XB1 did beat out PS4 during Black Friday sales between GameStop and BestBuy (other retailers/e-retailers probably the same). Most GS\BB stores were carrying 7-13 PS4s compared to 17-22 XB1 per store during the Black Friday sales.

Side Note 3: Currently, GameStop has over 1.8 million PS4 customer waits/notify in the system and a little over 400k waits/notify for XB1.

Side Note 3: GameStop was the largest provider of PS4 units during its launch. Amazon is rumored "amongst retail" to carried more XB1 units, than any other retailer/e-retailer.

Cool info if true. I'd like numbers for Side Note 1 if possible?? Looks like by your per store numbers maybe a 2-1 advantage anyway.

Also side note 3, there is a guy on GAF who works for Amazon (pretty verified I guess) who said they had probably more than 2-1 more XBO "in the building" than PS4, a few days ago I think? So this jives. Kind of interesting companies would have sort of favored retailers.

To be fair I doubt MS delayed their launch in any territory where they have a strong customer base but I agree its not much of a take bc both platforms are supply constrained ATM. Sony has price and strong first party studios while MS has Live MP multiplier and timed exclusives - early days we'll have to wait to see whose tail wind is stronger.
Whatever happens I just hope that consoles sell relatively strong whatever the brand.

The more companies that sell well, the better it is for the consumer. More options, more competition, as thin as it may seem currently, ultimately might lead to a better product overall, and of course lower prices.

I recall back when certain games dropped their prices, as I recall, when they were trying to get people to transfer from other companies in similar games, and in the end those who were the underdogs ended up creating the superior product as time went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back