All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. It's 30% to digital platform holders. Physical is more like 16.7%, ish. I haven't heard updated licensing fees, but it was always ~$10 per print. On a $60 game, one sixth, 17%.

That said, that's per print regardless whether the disc sells or not. If you factor in units that don't recover this money, the percentage possibly goes higher?
and that is why there are so many exclusives tied to preorders. Keeps orders in line with demand

I read somewhere GTAV sold 41 million copies all in all. That's insane. Add another million or two for the PC version, and another few seeing it's still in the Top 5 pretty much everywhere, this is an amazing achievement.

But I'd love to see how Bloodborne fared, as it's been on top of the UK chart for a while now.

#3 PS4 MKX
#61 PS4 special edition MKX

PS4 version of Mortal Kombat X has been in the top 10 for two weeks now, with the other in top 100. I'm guessing XB1 gamers aren't feeling Mortal Kombat X... it's nowhere to be seen in the top 100.

Last edited:
Well, XBO isn't doing too well in general on Amazon at the moment. April is shaping up to be a pretty bad month for XBO.

14 - PS4
15 - PS4: Batman Pre-Order
43 - XBO: MCC
51 - XBO: AC
56 - WiiU: Deluxe
82 - PS3 (people must be liking the near 200 USD price point on this)

So that probably goes part of the way to explaining why MKK is doing much better on PS4. New console purchasers tend to buy more games in the month they buy their consoles than existing console owners do after the initial month.

Another potential reason is that XBO already has a really good fighter in Killer Instinct. That probably offsets some of the demand for a new fighter somewhat. Especially if it's being gotten as a gift.

And, of course, fighters tend to generally do better on Playstation than Xbox.

Combine all of those factors, and it's not so strange that MKK is only showing up for PS4.

Regards,
SB

We don't have any big console exclusive this month, with MKX and DS2 pushing more toward PS4 crowd.

Next month is the same. Witcher 3, Wolfenstein DLC and pCARS will be spotlight releases for nextgen, and chances are, PS4 will most likely be leader even for Witcher 3 which is marketed by MS.

Another potential reason is that XBO already has a really good fighter in Killer Instinct. That probably offsets some of the demand for a new fighter somewhat. Especially if it's being gotten as a gift.
The PS4 actually has one more fighting game than XB1 (Guilty Gear Xrd, Injustice and DBZ Xenoverse... the latter game being the only one that's also on XB1). Guilty Gear Xrd and Injustice scored 85 and 80 respectively on metacritic vs Killer Instinct's 73. Yes they're cross-gen games, but it's not like the PS4 is lacking more in the fighting game genre.

And, of course, fighters tend to generally do better on Playstation than Xbox.

Combine all of those factors, and it's not so strange that MKK is only showing up for PS4.

Regards,
SB
I still find it odd that the XB1 version isn't even ranked. I mean I don't question MKX selling significantly better on PS4, but the XB1 not being ranked must be some sort of tracking bug.

Last edited:
I think Amazon is not charting Xbone MKX for some reason. On the PS4 game page there is short listing of its position, but on Xbone page, that listing is nowhere to be found.

Anyhow, another point in PS4's dominance in the fighting genre are not past games, but future ones. They have secured console exclusivity of Street Fighter V, which is a big deal.

Another plus for fighting games on PS4 is push from developers to create their own [and free] custom driver that interfaces with old PS3 arcade sticks [originally created for Skullgirls with the help of Naught Dog developer "Cowboy" who wrote driver, fans of GiantBomb E3 coverages know of him], which is now also supposedly utilized for MKX [Boone mentioned it earlier].

Compatibility with old arcade sticks cannot be ignored.

Do we know Bloodborne numbers? Yesterday, I even saw an ad in german TV! Typically, only the biggest games are advertised...hence, I was surprised.

Great success for bloodborne . Its the first game on the ps4 i'm sad wont be coming to the xbox or pc.

I'm sure there'll be many more such that you eventually bite the bullet and buy a PS4 ;)

Same way I promised myself I would make do this gen with just a PS4 and my PC, but every new piece of media about Halo 5 I see just pushes me closer and closer towards crossing that line :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back