All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
What GAF has up so far

Retail sales are down 6% year over year.

Software:

1.) Battlefield: Hardline (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 360, PS3, PC)
2.) Bloodborne (PS4)
3.) Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
4.) Mario Party 10 (Wii U)
5.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6.) MLB 15: The Show (PS4, PS3)
7.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
9.) Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One)
10.) Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD (PS4, Xbox One)

Notes:
-Mario Party 9: 290,000 (Digital + Physical)
-Majora's Mask: 184,000 (D+P, 730K LTD)
-Smash 3DS: 110,000 (D+P, 2.4M LTD)
-Smash Wii U LTD: 1.6 million
-Mario Kart 8 LTD: 1.9 million
-PS4 was number one in software sales.

Hardware:

PS4: #1 platform
3DS: ~260-270K
Wii U: ~80-85K

Notes:
-Wii U hardware is up approximately 20% year over year for the first three months of the year.
-3DS hardware is up approximately 80% year over year for the first three months of the year.

Hmm BF Hardline and GTA V best on Xbox One? Quite shocking.

I checked out of curiosity Amazon March charts and BF Hardlines PS4 # 24 and XO=#43, GTA V # 16 PS4 #20 XO

Guessing Bloodborne sales around 300k. Based on 1m WW sales, maybe 100-200k (10-20%) of that digital, it's at almost 200k in Japan as well, so that leaves 600k-700k in West, maybe split around evenly between USA and EU.

Guessing some of those top ten games are quite low in sales, especially judging by the number of repeat old releases on there.

Last edited:
Yeah, a bit surprising BF:H and GTAV sold better on XB1. Guessing it was pretty close. I guess Bloodborne, MLB The Show (and to a lesser extent FF Type-0) probably took some sales away. Plus shooters tend to sell relatively better on XB1. Also surprising that CoD:AW sold best on PS4 though.

Good job and kudos to Bloodborne! Snagging a number 2 spot as a single SKU title is always impressive. That likely means it holds the #1 spot for the single SKU chart.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, a bit surprising BF:H and GTAV sold better on XB1. Guessing it was pretty close. I guess Bloodborne, MLB The Show (and to a lesser extent FF Type-0) probably took some sales away. Plus shooters tend to sell relatively better on XB1. Also surprising that CoD:AW sold best on PS4 though.

Looking at www.BFHstats.com if it's accurate, XBO surges to nearly tied with PS4 (but seemingly always at least a bit behind) in USA prime time. Currently 7:50 PM it's 30,057 users on X1, 34,255 on PS4.

During the dead of morning hours though it surges to more like a 2 or 3-1 PS4 user advantage. I assume that's skewed toward Europe prime time. I guess the stats overall look to reflect something like 1:1 sales in the USA but 3:1 in Europe.

People at GAF are saying Bloodborne sold 389k (which is higher than Dark Souls according to them). I thought that it would sell in the 350-400k range but was thinking closer to 350k. Great numbers all things considered.

Last edited:
Based on the pie chart posted by creamsugar and considering the Wii U sold 80K-85K:
XB1 = 222K-235K
PS4 = 320K-340K

Some software numbers (creamsugar):
BF:H = >1M
Bloodborne = 389K
Mario Party 10 = <270K
FF = >200K ("sold more than 3x better on PS4" according to John Harker)

Overestimated PS4/XB1 by ~40K, underestimated BB by ~40K.

edit:
creamsugar said:
BF:
1: 43%
4: 40%

FF:
4: 79%
1: 21%

10: (Mario Party)
Bundle: 47%

Last edited:
Looking at www.BFHstats.com if it's accurate, XBO surges to nearly tied with PS4 (but seemingly always at least a bit behind) in USA prime time. Currently 7:50 PM it's 30,057 users on X1, 34,255 on PS4.

During the dead of morning hours though it surges to more like a 2 or 3-1 PS4 user advantage. I assume that's skewed toward Europe prime time. I guess the stats overall look to reflect something like 1:1 sales in the USA but 3:1 in Europe.

This chart may be easier to follow and base conclusions on (I started tracking soon after the game came out):

bfh_online_players_month.png

The only certainty we can have on numbers is that on average, PS4 has a 50% lead (33.7k vs 49.9k).

For reference, BF4 over the past year, the PS4 had a 100% lead (15.7k vs 30.5k). The numbers are naturally lower on BF4 because last september (I think when Destiny launched) there was a break-down in online time by nearly 50%.

Outside of the WiiU, those aren't bad numbers for a March with relatively few major releases. Especially PS4.

Question: What was the difference in sales in the US between XB1 and PS4 over the first 3 quarters of last year, and then over the final quarter?

I know I could probably google for the NPD numbers but i'm quite sure my studious brethren here like Rangers already have the numbers to hand ;-)

Some other weird anomaly on Amazon, PS4 hardware has fallen out of top 40?

Seems similar I guess to when MCC bundle caused X1 AC bundle to plummet. The regular PS4 is out of stock from Amazon but available from resellers and the TLOU bundle has not moved up yet (even though it's been out a long time unless I'm missing something). Or else... I dunno *shrugs*.

Basically just seems like all these different SKU's going in and out of stock can muck up various consoles high rankings.

For April so far (as of 3:20 AM April 22) we have

PS4 #22
X1 MCC bundle #44
PS4 Batman bundle preorders #50
X1 AC Unity bundle #57

Last edited:
No big releases this month so I expect lower sales for both consoles. Not surprised that the PS4 has fallen. If I were to hazard a guess some people that may have bought the console in April may have instead bought one in March due to Bloodborne.

By now, I'm not sure TLOU makes for an exciting bundle. Same likely goes for the MCC bundle for XBO. I'd imagine more people are looking forward to a potential Halo 5 bundle if they are Halo fans (and likely have already gotten MCC). So while people will get it anyway, since there is no base non-bundle XBO, it's not a huge incentive at the moment, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Poor numbers for XBox from MS' financial statement

Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue decreased $72 million or 4%, primarily due to lower revenue from Xbox Platform, offset in part by higher Surface revenue. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 4%. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $306 million or 24%, driven by a 20% decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year. We sold 1.6 million Xbox consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2015 compared with 2.0 million consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2014. Surface revenue increased $219 million or 44%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Surface Pro 3 was released in June 2014.

Computing and Gaming Hardware gross margin increased $156 million or 60%, due to a $228 million or 14% decrease in cost of revenue, offset in part by lower revenue. Gross margin benefited from the mix shift to Surface Pro 3. Computing and Gaming cost of revenue decreased, primarily due to a $265 million or 27% decline in Xbox Platform cost of revenue, driven by lower volumes and a lower cost per console sold.

Nine months ended March 31, 2015 compared with nine months ended March 31, 2014

Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue increased $499 million or 6%, primarily due to higher revenue from Surface, offset in part by lower revenue from Xbox Platform. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 2%. Surface revenue increased $939 million or 53%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $471 million or 8%, driven by lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year, as well as a decrease in second- and third-party video games revenue. We sold 10.7 million Xbox consoles during the first nine months of fiscal year 2015 compared with 10.6 million consoles during the first nine months of fiscal year 2014.

Computing and Gaming Hardware gross margin increased $479 million or 55%, mainly due to higher revenue. Computing and Gaming cost of revenue was flat. Gross margin benefited from the mix shift to Surface Pro 3. Surface cost of revenue increased $156 million or 7%, mainly due to the higher cost per device sold for Surface Pro 3. Xbox Platform cost of revenue decreased $138 million or 3%, mainly due to lower cost per console sold.

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/E...gs/SegmentResults/S2/FY15/Q3/Performance.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back