All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, September sales are gonna be huge, and then we get into Q4 where every month should be pretty big. PS4 is gonna sell like mad.

Concerning the Japanese PS4 sales I think this may become relevant(or irrelevant);
There's an interview with Horii and Shibusawa in Famitsu this week. Not a lot of details but they do mention some interesting things. The concept behind the game is an invasion of a million DQ monsters of different shapes and sizes. The battles with the huge gigantus class monsters are inspired by Toukiden. Apparently development for the game started last year, which might explain why it's coming out so soon. The game will feature fully orchestrated arrangements of various classic DQ tunes from previous games. There will also be classic DQ sound effects, like the chime when you level up.

What's also interesting is when Horii was asked about Dragon Quest 11, he said that it is being developed separately, but that Dragon Quest Heroes is being released with the hope that it will build up excitement among those who play it to make them look forward to the next title.
Source(Gaf/famitsu).
The main interview is about the already announced Dragon Quest Heroes.

This might be hinting at DQ11 for PS4, which would be huge.

FF15, KH3 & DQ11 on PS4 would absolutely boost sales.

Also DQ11 is likely targeting a 2016 release date due to 2016 being the 30th anniversary year of DQ.

Like I told everyone, once the hard sales start coming through... Destiny will do some major business.

PS4 Destiny (#13) has overtaken Titanfall XB1 (#14) sales on Amazon 2014 Best Sellers list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

Edit: The PS4 Destiny Bundle is already sitting at #46, just behind the XB1+Kinect sku at #45. http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#3

Well it has happened, the PS4 Destiny Bundle (#43) has surpassed the XB1+Kinect sku (#46) on Amazon 2014 Best Sellers list (under 48hrs), two steps away from the XB1 Titanfall Bundle (#41). :oops:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#3

Although Amazon only represents 6-7% of gaming sales, its still a good indicator of how gaming sales are trending.

From JVM at GAF: UK Market

UK software sales - not hardware.

Cross-posting from PAL Charts thread.The question is how much does the UK market mirror the US market?

These are retail UK Results

PS4 Generates Most Software Revenue at Retail in 2014

Tables sorted by YTD 2014 column.

PeQhyrV.png

p4dbC7h.png

Xbox One LTD: 2.83 million units
PS4 LTD: 3.42 million units ---> PS4 retail tie ratio is approximately 3.4

Xbox One YTD: 1.67 million units
PS4 YTD: 2.09 million units

August NPD should be coming out today...

Destiny PS4 bundle has passed the Titanfall bundle, and Destiny XB1 is right behind Titanfall XB1 on amazon's 2014 rankings.

NPD should be pretty boring this month. PS4 will probably be about the same or a bit lower, and XB1 might get a small bump from the Madden bundle. Next month will be more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Destiny PS4 bundle has passed the Titanfall bundle, and Destiny XB1 is right behind Titanfall XB1 on amazon's 2014 rankings.

NPD should be pretty boring this month. PS4 will probably be about the same or a bit lower, and XB1 might get a small bump from the Madden bundle. Next month will be more interesting.

Just wow!!! It took the PS4 Destiny Bundle less than 72hrs to surpass the XB1 Titanfall Bundle... holy smoke. :oops:

Well it was available for pre-order since mid-June. I'm just curious if the sales hold true across all retailers; because if they do, they could sell >500k Destiny bundles alone in September. I somehow doubt that's the case though.

NPD trickling in. Top ten

Software:

1. Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
9. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)

Notes:
-Software ranking order does not include bundles.

Just scanning the platform orders nothing too much stands out. guess that PS4 won the heavy hitter games (but that's been typical for a few months). Lego results=Wii U kiddie confirmed. GAF can gloat about X1 positions of WD and BF4 I guess and of course the first 200 comments of "Omgosh Madden outsold on PS4 despite bundle, X1 is doooomed". Xbox the COD console confirmed. I would attribute it to sales and that may be partly, but BF4 is also on X1 sale at least at Amazon.

Typical trends of late, strong hardware led by next gen, software decline

Overall retail sales are up 8% year over year.

Hardware sales were up 116% year over year.

Software sales were down 21% year over year.

Microsoft's now funnnily non-specific lately PR

“Xbox One sales are on a positive trajectory, nearly doubling sales in August in the U.S. compared to July due in part to strong demand for the Xbox One Madden NFL 15’bundle. The holiday season is upon us we’re looking forward to bringing the best value bundles, incredible offers like the ‘Buy a Console Get a Game Free’ promotion running now and more great games as we gear up for the launches of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.”

But, a GAF NPD insider guy (Cosmic Queso) said about the doubling statement

That has to be shipped. That is not what the data is showing for sell-through.

That's...odd, as last time everybody accused MS of lying/misleading with a doubling statement it came out actually to be 2.5X (the May/June 399 thing). Difference is Cosmic Queso is a trsusted source. We'll see...

Edit2: More clarification

Originally Posted by CosmicQueso

Ahhhh yes... it's software revenues that doubled. That point isn't for hardware at all.

You'd think they'd clarify what it was they were talking about.

Edited in Sony PR: PS4 won the month. There goes all the drama. And probably X1's best chance to win a month anytime soon.

· PlayStation 4 was #1 in hardware sales for the eighth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.
· PlayStation led the month for next generation software with Madden NFL 15 for PS4 taking the #1 spot for overall software sales.
· Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition and Madden NFL 15 had their strongest sales on PS4 and were the biggest third party releases of the month.
· The Last of Us Remastered continues to have strong momentum on PS4; it was the top selling first-party title in August.
· For the third consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).

Ok, my guesses for August were probably WAY off... not so much a slow month after all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893306

XB1 sold nearly double July, but PS4 still #1 according to Sony. It was probably pretty close.

Madden sold most on PS4, but the XB1 bundle didn't count towards Madden sales.

TLoU:R held well at #4.

edit: Also goes to show how far off Pacther was, yet again.

edit 2: nm, apparently the 2x XB1 was shipped. :facepalm:

edit 3: second correction, it was software revenue that nearly doubled, not hardware at all.

I'm gonna keep my original guesses at 180k PS4, 140k XB1.

Well it was available for pre-order since mid-June. I'm just curious if the sales hold true across all retailers; because if they do, they could sell >500k Destiny bundles alone in September. I somehow doubt that's the case though.

Preorders don’t equate to actual sales, until the actual sales dates. So between June and September 8th, customers could have canceled their preorders… but judging by the movement (actual sales), PS4 Destiny Bundle is a success as far as Amazon is concerned. Surpassing the XB1+Kinect sku and Titanfall XB1 bundle within a 72hr period is unbelievable, downright mindboggling.

As I stated before, Amazon represents about 6-7% of gaming sales… so it’s a great sample of how other retailers sales are looking like.

The GameStop’s near me are sold out. Which is good sign…

Preorders don’t equate to actual sales, until the actual sales dates. So between June and September 8th, customers could have canceled their preorders… but judging by the movement (actual sales), PS4 Destiny Bundle is a success as far as Amazon is concerned. Surpassing the XB1+Kinect sku and Titanfall XB1 bundle within a 72hr period is unbelievable.

As I stated before, Amazon represents about 6-7% of gaming sales… so it’s a great sample of how other retailers sales are looking like.

The GameStop’s near me are sold out. Which is good sign…
It's impressive that it passed all XB1 skus already. I'm just saying it's not like it jumped ahead just from being on sale for 72 hours, it was essentially sales since mid June (minus any cancellations). No doubt the Destiny bundle is a success. I'm curious to see how many they sell.

· PlayStation 4 was #1 in hardware sales for the eighth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.
· PlayStation led the month for next generation software with Madden NFL 15 for PS4 taking the #1 spot for overall software sales.
· Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition and Madden NFL 15 had their strongest sales on PS4 and were the biggest third party releases of the month.
· The Last of Us Remastered continues to have strong momentum on PS4; it was the top selling first-party title in August.
· For the third consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).

So, MS has October, November and December on making an impact as far as the NPD PR battle.

Ouch!

Unsurprisingly, Madden topped the charts. Analysts were predicting earlier this week that the football game from publisher EA Sports would perform well and even give a boost to the Xbox One since Microsoft was selling a game-plus-console bundle at retail. The chart above does not include bundled games, but even if you include those, PS4 Madden still sold better. Madden may have done that, but the standalone version sold better on the PlayStation 4 (as you can see in the rankings in the parentheses by each game). Action-role-playing game Diablo III, which finally debuted on the new-gen consoles, also sold better on PS4.

I wonder if XB1 COD:AW bundle is going to do well... last time I checked, the list price was $499 on Amazon. I don't remember it being in any of the Best Sellers categories... I could be wrong.

Edit: B Real beat me.

I hate the fact that EA has exclusive license with NFL and NFLPA... no type of competition, pretty much a monopoly. Visual Concepts/Sega would have provided some type of balance, and options for gamers.

Ouch!

I wonder if XB1 COD:AW bundle is going to do well... last time I checked, the list price was $499 on Amazon. I don't remember it being in any of the Best Sellers categories... I could be wrong.

Edit: B Real beat me.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Xbox-One-Limited-Edition-Call-Duty/product/B00MMTKXTA?context=browse It's at 157 right now but I don't think the advertising machine has really started yet. I expect it to rise closer to launch. The Sunset Bundle is at 239. I also expect that to rise.
No Mcc bundle is kinda weird but I guess thats because of COD. I expect that they will do something like they're doing now, were you buy the console and get a free game so you can stack them. I think that would move some more 360 owners forward

Also gaf is thinking Mcc won't push X1 ahead for Nov but I think it will. No one over there is mentioning that it comes with the Halo 5 beta and I'm sure they will advertise the hell out of that.

NPD trickling in. Top ten

What's interesting there is that once the initial few months are over, the vastly larger install base of the X360 starts to push it to the front of many multiplatform titles. In other words, expect more cross gen titles throughout 2015 and possibly even 2016.

Also the COD: Ghost numbers are interesting with X360/XBO in the lead.

If, as I expect, COD: Advanced Warfighter ends up being the biggest selling title for 2014, that could give XBO a potential boost this holiday season. I expect PS4 version will still sell more in the first 2-4 months, however. But the gap will be closer than other multiplats. Then after that XBO and potentially X360 will surpass PS4 in monthly sales.

I fully expect COD: Advanced Warfighter to eclipse the 1 million first day sales (so double or more Destiny) that COD: Ghosts generated.

Regards,
SB

Also the COD: Ghost numbers are interesting with X360/XBO in the lead

Not surprising though... especially when you consider the XB1 version had more discounts on pushing it. The Wal-Mart nearest me has the PS4 edition at $49 and XB1 edition at $29. Hell, Amazon has the XB1 edition at $21 and the PS4 edition at $53. So yes, its going to be in XB1 favor...

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Gho...efined&sr=8-1&keywords=Call+of+duty+ghost+XB1

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Gho...efined&sr=8-1&keywords=Call+of+duty+ghost+PS4

Not surprising though... especially when you consider the XB1 version had more discounts on pushing it. The Wal-Mart nearest me has the PS4 edition at $49 and XB1 edition at $29. Hell, Amazon has the XB1 edition at $21 and the PS4 edition at $53. So yes, its going to be in XB1 favor...

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Gho...efined&sr=8-1&keywords=Call+of+duty+ghost+XB1

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Gho...efined&sr=8-1&keywords=Call+of+duty+ghost+PS4
Yup, not surprising at all. CoD has always been one of the few titles that sold relatively well on XB1. This isn't the first time CoD sold better on XB1 in the US. And the ASP of CoD on XB1 was lower than on PS4, at least at amazon.

edit: the XB1 version is even a combo version, making it an even better value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back