All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course without a point of comparison though it’s hard to say exactly how far ahead Sony is. The Xbox One has sold only around 1.2 million consoles in the whole of Europe, compared to around 3.8 million for the PlayStation 4. But the Xbox brand has always been much stronger in the UK, compared to the Continent, so that doesn’t really help.

The Wii U is on around 1.7 million in Europe, but there it’s the opposite situation – where Nintendo always does much better on the Continent than it does in the UK.

The general understanding is that the PlayStation 4 is outselling the Xbox One in the UK by a factor of 1.5:1, so if PlayStation 4 sales are 1 million that means the Xbox One is on around 666,000.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/09/ps4-sales-pass-1-million-in-uk-4861598/

Wow! What a beating.

I dont know where they're getting Europe sales, seems to be just made up. Perhaps based on the common estimate of around 5 million X1's sold worldwide.

Which is probably close to a correct number, but shouldn't be thrown out as a specific fact.

To get Europe sales would be quite an endeavor, you would have to get data from all the different countries. Although just the top few should be the lions share of sales.

3.8:1.2 actually isn't bad at all. Barely 3-1, in the market area where it seems like it's touted to be 100-1. It's probably worse than 3-1 currently though.

There's a lot of things we can discuss from a hard UK sales number. I'll probably post some up later. Some obvious things.

3.8 USA+.68Japan+1m UK known PS4 sales. 5.5 total, so 4.5 elsewhere. Most of which should be from Europe. But a decent chunk can be Canada and Australia. Lets put Canada at a conservative 5% of US, and Australia at half that. That's 200k+100k=300K. Both very conservative estimates imo. That would leave 4.2 PS4's unaccounted for. If MCV's 3.8 number is correct, that would leave 400k for everywhere else (probably less since I went conservative on Canada and AU). 3.8 in Europe does then sound very reasonable at least.

It shows even for Playstation, US+UK combined is about as big as everywhere else combined.

The 666k X1 seems a little more shaky though. So I'm not sure how to treat it. My italics:

The general understanding is that the PlayStation 4 is outselling the Xbox One in the UK by a factor of 1.5:1, so if PlayStation 4 sales are 1 million that means the Xbox One is on around 666,000.

I dont know if MCV has the exact numbers (or was given a general range by a chart track employee) and just aren't allowed to say them so they phrased it like that (this seems likely to me), or what.

Edit: Actually this part suggests MCV isn't working from Chart Track knowledge. So I'm not sure how to treat all so called sales numbers in the article.

The news was imparted by Sony UK boss Fergal Gara to MCV, so the figures haven’t been independently checked,

Edit2: MCV is probably using Chartzzzz numbers for the EU sales. They match perfectly with 1.2/x1 1.7/wiiu/ 3.8/PS4 http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41875/Europe/

Last edited by a moderator:
So they finally updated the 2014 ranking. Wow at the Destiny bundle just behind the other Xbox SKUs, and that Destiny PS4 already passed Titanfall XB1. Titanfall sold >1M in the US didn't it? I think Destiny will pass MK8 before the end of the year. All of those Destiny bundle sales will count towards September NPD. Kinectless XB1 isn't even in the top 100 yet.

So they finally updated the 2014 ranking. Wow at the Destiny bundle just behind the other Xbox SKUs, and that Destiny PS4 already passed Titanfall XB1. Titanfall sold >1M in the US didn't it? I think Destiny will pass MK8 before the end of the year. All of those Destiny bundle sales will count towards September NPD. Kinectless XB1 isn't even in the top 100 yet.

September NPD is going to be very interesting... Sony's marketing of Destiny has been outstanding.

Just when we were talking about it :p

I dont find PS4 Destiny nudging out Titanfall that impressive. If Destiny only sells 1 million first month on PS4 that'll pretty much be a failure imo.

XB1 version also only 3 spots behind, very impressive with the user base discrepancy.

Titanfall did 847k in March on XBO without bundles. "over 1 million" with bundles. The next month it did an additional 77k. And I think Creamsugar updated it to 1010k lifetime through June NPD.

But of course Amazon wont track perfectly with real world sales. Besides that given all the versions, XBO, PS4, Limited, Ghost, PS4 Bundle, 360, PS3, yeah, it should be able to rack up some numbers.

Edit I guess if Destiny sold just like Titanfall on Xbox One/360, and then you added in Playstation 3/4, it would probably be a decent hit right there. But I think it'll do better.

Famitsu XBox One sales in Japan

Comes from Famitsu. It sold 23 562 units during launch week.

Software:

1) TitanFall : 22 416*
2) Kinect Sport Rivals : 14 919**
3) Dead Rising 3: 7 330

* was bundled.
** bundled too, but different bundle?

Yep, pretty bad...

Now where does it settle at? 600/week?

I dont find PS4 Destiny nudging out Titanfall that impressive. If Destiny only sells 1 million first month on PS4 that'll pretty much be a failure imo.

Yet, you moaned about Destiny not surpassing Titanfall before the Amazon update, then when it happens it's not impressive. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, PS4 Destiny taking Titanfall spot on Amazon already, is quite impressive, since Titanfall has been on the market since March.

XB1 version also only 3 spots behind, very impressive with the user base discrepancy.

So, XB1 Destiny status is impressive because of the small user-base? Whatever you say Rangers, whatever you say... :LOL:

Edit I guess if Destiny sold just like Titanfall on Xbox One/360, and then you added in Playstation 3/4, it would probably be a decent hit right there. But I think it'll do better.

Just give credit where credit is due... Sony is doing an amazing job of pushing Destiny and it's bundle - plain and simple.

Titanfall was out since March, it has been <$50 for a while now (going as low as $35), it is currently part of the free XB1 game promo, it was initially only released on two platforms and later three, and it's currently the highest selling single SKU current-gen title in the US AFAIK. So IF Destiny PS4 has already passed Titanfall XB1 in sales after one day, that's pretty impressive IMO.

Also noticing the Destiny marketing in full force today. Metacritic and Youtube had Destiny PS4 ads posted all over, and I saw the Destiny PS4 commercial on TV a bunch just a few hours ago.

No good, but entirely expected I'd say. The Xbox brand is a damn near non-entity in Japan, and since consoles don't really sell there no matter who's behind them it's really not a surprise that the One would sell even worse than the 360 when it launched.

Closer look at this week's media create sales

ltBg9uw.png

At least X1 got #2 and almost #1. Not that that's difficult of course, Vita was not even close for 3rd even with only 25k Xboxen sold.

Home consoles are really dead in Japan...

For example if PS4 sells 12k/week average in UK as we apparently learned from the 1 million sold, that's almost 2X as Japan, and Japan has 2X UK population. So that's 1/4 the selling rate per person.

The question now is how long till its discontinued in Japan? Does it make it even a year? I knew it would be bad, but this is absolute atrocious. I would bet week two will be less than 5k sold, and after that it will drop to less than 500 per week. Its going to be bad.

Ehh, I doubt it really costs them too much. They dont moneyhat JRPG's or anything like that anymore.

Anyways I'll predict...7k Xboxen 2nd week.

No, it cost retailers money to hold inventory for something that sells in terrible numbers. Its the reason why some European retailers either scaled back, or discontinued Wii U stock at their stores.

For example if PS4 sells 12k/week average in UK as we apparently learned from the 1 million sold

Hasn't the PS4 been available in the UK for about 40 weeks? 1m/40=25000, surely? Unless I've just had a number block.

Considering the PS4 has sold a million already in the UK, that's 1 in every 63 people own a PS4 less than a year after release. Kinda crazy.

Closer look at this week's media create sales

ltBg9uw.png

At least X1 got #2 and almost #1. Not that that's difficult of course, Vita was not even close for 3rd even with only 25k Xboxen sold.

Home consoles are really dead in Japan...

For example if PS4 sells 12k/week average in UK as we apparently learned from the 1 million sold, that's almost 2X as Japan, and Japan has 2X UK population. So that's 1/4 the selling rate per person.

Ehh, I doubt it really costs them too much. They dont moneyhat JRPG's or anything like that anymore.

Anyways I'll predict...7k Xboxen 2nd week.

I don't really believe this. However I do agree that the market has shrunk considerably. I still think that the leading home console will be able to eek out an eventual 3-5 million units in sales from that market when all is said and done.

Let's remember that these consoles are still, a) expensive, and b) without any games that appeal to the Japanese audience.

Japanese gamers have increasingly gone mobile, but I do believe that they will happily justify a home console for the right price of course, as long as it has the right games.

We'll have to see. But all those Japanese PS3 owners will certainly want to upgrade to something when they're tired of their existing box.

Bit of an update on UK hitting the one million mark...

Destiny pushes PS4 sales over the one million mark in the UK

UK boss Fergal Gara said that sales have seen a "slight cooling" in the last two weeks as consumers waited for the release of the game, out today (September 9), with online orders of the new white PS4 bundle helping to make the difference.

"It's literally as the pre-order volume gets shipped and more picked up in the early hours of this morning," he told Digital Spy. "It's that volume - that's quite a chunk - that's what takes us over the line."

He added: "I'm talking several percentages [of cooling] - but a little bit of hold back in terms of the sell-through in the last two weeks - for obvious reasons. [The Destiny bundle] is a great package at a great price, but you can't have it until midnight. But what are you going to do? You're going to wait, aren't you!"

Gara said that the figure was sold through to consumers, and not just to retail.

"It's quite coincidental - in many senses, we couldn't have planned it better," he said.

"We announced PS4, and Bungie and Activision announced Destiny, on the same stage on the same night, February 22 last year - and you roll forward to this week and we break records together, as Destiny is on track to be biggest new IP launch of all time, and PS4 pushes through the million mark in record time. It's almost like we planned it this way."

The PS4 Destiny Glacier White Bundle is banking numbers everywhere... forget August NPD, bringing on September's numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back