All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the game is litterally given for free with any XB1 purchase currently.

I believe those are strictly standalone sales. Most retailers/e-retailers have bundling codes or discount codes for special sales/deals. So, I’m pretty sure we’re seeing standalone XB1 Destiny sales… we would have seen some major movement in XB1 hardware on Amazon if that was the case (your scenario). But we haven’t…

Edit: Damn, GTA V is already becoming a hot item I see. R* power...

I believe those are strictly standalone sales. Most retailers/e-retailers have bundling codes or discount codes for special sales/deals. So, I’m pretty sure we’re seeing standalone XB1 Destiny sales… we would have seen some major movement in XB1 hardware on Amazon if that was the case (your scenario). But we haven’t…

No. On amazon any "normal" game can benefit from the "free game" discount:

Amazon conditions to get a free game with any XB1 hardware purchase:

Step 1: Select an Xbox One console
Step 2: Select a Game
Step 3: Add to Cart and your discount will be applied during checkout

And we have seen some serious XB1 hardware movement recently: the XB1 is currently sitting at the 16th position and has being in the 20 top list roughly since the free game discount.

No. On amazon any "normal" game can benefit from the "free game" discount:

Amazon conditions to get a free game with any XB1 hardware purchase:

Step 1: Select an Xbox One console
Step 2: Select a Game
Step 3: Add to Cart and your discount will be applied during checkout

And we have seen some serious XB1 hardware movement recently: the XB1 is currently sitting at the 16th position and has being in the 20 top list roughly since the free game discount.

In bold - in retail, this is considered a bundle sale, not a standalone sale. Which I mentioned in my original reply. So it would be quite odd that Amazon would group bundle sales with standalone game sales in it's 2014 Best Sellers list. Just saying…

But I’m not dismissing the “freebie deal”… it should move units, but not in the fashion that you're trying to correlate it in. The XB1 Destiny standalone edition is selling well on its own... not just because of bundling it for free.

In bold - in retail, this is considered a bundle sale, not a standalone sale. Which I mentioned in my original reply. So it would be quite odd that Amazon would group bundle sales with standalone game sales in it's 2014 Best Sellers list. Just saying…

But I’m not dismissing the “freebie deal”… it should move units, but not in the fashion that you're trying to correlate it in. The XB1 Destiny standalone edition is selling well on its own... not just because of bundling it for free.

What bundle sale? I don't see any of those virtual discounted bundles in any Amazon XB1 list.

What you add in your cart, and what you really get from the postman, in the end, is the real standalone game (not a digital code) so it shouldn't be surprising that the sales should be accounted for in the standalone game list. I don't find it odd.

What bundle sale? I don't see any of those virtual discounted bundles in any Amazon XB1 list.

What you add in your cart, and what you really get from the postman, in the end, is the real standalone game (not a digital code) so it shouldn't be surprising that the sales should be accounted for in the standalone game list. I don't find it odd.

A bundled sale or free game inclusion isn’t exclusively “just a digital copy”… hard copies apply as well. The discount negates the game cost, in this case $59 - so essentially you’re getting the console with the game (hence bundle). I’m 101% sure, Amazon isn’t factoring in bundle sales with XB1 Destiny standalone units. That’s taking a bite at the apple twice within the 2014 Best Sellers list. Amazon setup is a little more intuitive than that.

Why are you so hard press on believing that XB1 Destiny is only doing well because of freebie bundling?

It should parity PS4 sales within reason… especially within the US, where the gap is no more than 750K.

It should parity PS4 sales within reason… especially within the US, where the gap is no more than 750K.

Not according to the Amazon numbers posted here, the PS4 has Destiny twice in the top 10. It could be a third higher than the Xbox One, or even more...

A bundled sale or free game inclusion isn’t exclusively “just a digital copy”… hard copies apply as well. The discount negates the game cost, in this case $59 - so essentially you’re getting the console with the game (hence bundle). I’m 101% sure, Amazon isn’t factoring in bundle sales with XB1 Destiny standalone units. That’s taking a bite at the apple twice within the 2014 Best Sellers list. Amazon setup is a little more intuitive than that.

Why are you so hard press on believing that XB1 Destiny is only doing well because of freebie bundling?

Do you have any sales number from your area for the hardware in the launch week of Destiny.?

Not according to the Amazon numbers posted here, the PS4 has Destiny twice in the top 10. It could be a third higher than the Xbox One, or even more...

We're not talking top 100 Best Sellers... but the 2014 100 Best Sellers (this year thus far). As of now, has Destiny PS4 at #13 and XB1 #15. Which is within reason of parity of standalone sales. We're talking strictly North America sales, not worldwide sales.

And just as an FYI, XB1 Destiny is doing very well at GameStop. September we may see a 55/45 split between the two. Previous generation wise, I see XB360 doing better than PS3, maybe 60/40 split. But still, it's too early... no digital download numbers as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that include software that's part of a bundle?

I'm almost 101% sure they are not grouping standalone sales and bundle sales together.

If Amazon sold cars, and through in "Mopar Floor Mats" for free, which are on sold independently as well. The car would make the Amazon list, not the floor mats. The floor mats would only make the list when it's independently sold. No twice bite at the apple...

Grouping throughs off the rankings...

If a customer is searching floor mats in the 2014 best sellers list, then "Mopar Floor Mats" would be a smash, not because of actual sales, but because it was a freebie with a car purchase. So no grouping...

Yes, XB1 Destiny standalone software are doing fine on its own at Amazon.

That's very strange logic. A sale of a game = a sale of a game. Regardless of whether it's within a bundle or not.

I fully expect the PS4 version to outsell the Xbox One version by a fairly considerable amount.

That's very strange logic. A sale of a game = a sale of a game. Regardless of whether it's within a bundle or not.

Let's agree to disagree, so we can get this topic back on track.

I fully expect the PS4 version to outsell the Xbox One version by a fairly considerable amount.

I don't deny that... however, XB1 Destiny software sales should eclipse XB1 Titanfall software sales quite a bit.

Interesting report from Aquamarine on GAF about anecdotal US interest for white PS4 Destiny bundle
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129737267&postcount=2495

And interesting chart of Nintendo console sales [US NPD]. WiiU is not looking good.
Oz4NaKu.png

XB1 Destiny (#14) is now one step behind PS4 edition (#13) in the Amazon 2014 Best Sellers list.

Misc Best Sellers at the moment.
#5 XB1 Destiny
#6 PS4 Destiny Bundle
#8 PS4 Destiny
#13 XB1 Game Console
#14 PS4 Game Console
#16 PS4 GTA V

'Normalised' number to remove first months anomalous data:

Feb 161k
March 192k
April 295k
May 221k
June 277k
July 206k
August 205k

Total post-holiday 6 months: 1557k

X1 (gen over gen)
Feb 14 258k (+97)
March 14 311k (+119)
April 14 115k (-180)
May 14 76k (-145)
June 14 197k (-80)
July 14 131k (-75)
August 14 160k (-44)

Total post-holiday 6 months: 1248k

Difference for post-holiday 6 months: XB1-309k

At 80% of 360's numbers, X1 isn't doing as badly in the US as I thought. Looks like it'll be very XBox original - a US (+UK) console without much further adoption worldwide.

Well we've had this conversation a few times but I think you need to look at the total picture. Lets say a potential Xbox 360 buyer in 2005/early 2006 could not find a 360 to buy when he tries in Nov and the Dec. He eventually finds one to purchase on say, March, and snaps it up. His sale was "moved" from Nov to March in a sense. XOne was much better supplied, so a potential buyer say, find his X1 in November, he therefore has no need of one in March and March sales suffer. The same thing can be happening with PS4. Also, there was some 360 supply constraints supposedly a few months into 2006 to further muck up the picture.

That's why fairly lackluster current PS4/X1 sales imo need to be looked at holistically, both consoles (especially PS4) are off to very fast starts historically over their initial total launch x months so far. But they are selling at a lackluster rate currently as well.

However if PS4 and/or X1 holiday sales for 2014 are lackluster, then the above shifted demand theory starts running into problems. But, those sales are not in yet.

But there's value in looking at it the way you did as well. Just different angles on things.

Here's Gamestop bestsellers, every once in a while I like to look at something different.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/games?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2418

Something just has to be screwy with this list, X1 digital download Destiny is outselling physical edition. Maybe it's website sales only. Nintendo dominates the top 3 slots, and PS4 Destiny isn't to be found until page 4.

Somebody on GAF did mention that Amazon bestsellers may be based on revenue (A idea I've always entertained) and may have quote a "predictive component". I guess it's known the Amazon book charts or something do. So I guess it may include some of Amazon guessing or trends instead of real sales. Just more food for thought. Oh also, a gaffer showed how to get weekly Amazon charts like the monthly ones.

You can also look at Best Buy's rudimentary bestseller by scrolling down here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...ic/pcmcat311300050017.c?id=pcmcat311300050017

Destiny X1 also #1, but I suspect retailers may be counting the free giveaway copies on these lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back