All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone is feeling insecure.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-september-promotion

MS is throwing every single promotion they can think off and hoping something that will stick. They tried everything except lowering console price below $399 or giving larger Live vouchers for free. This latest US offer is nicely targeted to cover Destiny launch. :D

Insecure? It just shows the flexibility that digital downloads allow that doesn't exist for physical retail. Instead of having to have a Xbox One bundle with a physical copy of each game offered, they just have an Xbox One bundle, except you can choose what game you want bundled.

In other words, no different than a Madden console bundle or an Uncharted console bundle or a Destiny console bundle. Only in this case, the consumer gets to choose the bundled game.

Sure retailers have done this for a long time but it usually bumps up the cost of the bundle. This allows the console manufacturer to bundle any game with any console instantly creating a custom console bundle for any consumer.

It's been done in the PC world for quite a while now. Where you used to have physical games bundled with graphics cards for example. But that is incredibly inefficient and expensive. With the advent of digital downloads, physical bundles are a thing of the past (thank god).

This is once again just a sign of the times. Consoles moving to mimic what has already happened on PC because it is not only more cost effective for the console manufacturer, but also offers more choice for the consumer.

Regards,
SB

In spain at many retail stores the ps4 destiny bundle is 399 as well. The odd thing is that around here sony is outselling XO 6/1 more or less

What about other euro countries?

Yup, Sony and Microsoft must be REALLY hurting with that Destiny Bundle. :rolleyes:

Regards,
SB

Except the PS4 Destiny bundle is actually $449 ...not a system with essentially two free games once you purchase it. Which I stated "Great for consumers ...but hell on the company profit margins".

So what's your problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
In spain at many retail stores the ps4 destiny bundle is 399 as well. The odd thing is that around here sony is outselling XO 6/1 more or less

What about other euro countries?
Depends on the country. But as a whole, I would guess ~4:1 (not LTD, but sales as of late).

PS typically sells a lot better than Xbox in EUR. But if Germany is anything to go by, Sony's lead has significantly increased over last gen.

Except the PS4 Destiny bundle is actually $449 ...not a system with essentially two free games once your purchase it. Which I stated "Great for consumers ...but hell on the company profit margins".

So what's your problem?

Or any other bundle that comes out for any game ever on any console ever. I'm sure we're going to see a ton of PS4 bundles this Holiday season, for example.

Regards,
SB

I still don't understand why they bothered selling the xb1 in Japan, seems like a total loss and waste of time and money. Maybe they had to for developer relations? There has to be some reason because their mere there presence there does more harm than good because it makes them and their console look silly.

Japan market console has grown fairly irrelevant for all including Sony who is currently selling 5-7k PS4 a week. Then again I guess they all realized that which is why Japan wasn't a tier 1 country for either this time around.

I imagine MS realized there's no use moneyhatting jrpg exclusives like they did last gen.

Nothing wrong with a token release though, probably does not take a lot of resources, and I suppose it's good to have a official presence everywhere. I mean what if you are that guy in Japan who actually wants an X1? I guess there is gray market but I am not sure how this works and I imagine there are drawbacks (such as no warranty support)

I even heard that in India the Xbox One is supposedly Amazon exclusive. Takes no work at all to "launch" this way then.

Yes, the old freebies and buy your way back into the game tactic. Great for consumers ...but hell on the company profit margins.

IMO they only have to do this because they skimp on the GPU, and it was very predictable. Such stupid thinking. Penny wise pound foolish, I guess.

The PS4 lacks eastern software atm. Sales should be better next year. Despite selling ~5-7k/week, it's still on pace to sell roughly the same as the PS3 did in 1 year, and the PS3 benefited from 2 holiday seasons. I think it will reach ~10M lifetime again, which is not completely irrelevant IMO.

Insecure? It just shows the flexibility that digital downloads allow that doesn't exist for physical retail. Instead of having to have a Xbox One bundle with a physical copy of each game offered, they just have an Xbox One bundle, except you can choose what game you want bundled.

In other words, no different than a Madden console bundle or an Uncharted console bundle or a Destiny console bundle. Only in this case, the consumer gets to choose the bundled game.

Sure retailers have done this for a long time but it usually bumps up the cost of the bundle. This allows the console manufacturer to bundle any game with any console instantly creating a custom console bundle for any consumer.

It's been done in the PC world for quite a while now. Where you used to have physical games bundled with graphics cards for example. But that is incredibly inefficient and expensive. With the advent of digital downloads, physical bundles are a thing of the past (thank god).

This is once again just a sign of the times. Consoles moving to mimic what has already happened on PC because it is not only more cost effective for the console manufacturer, but also offers more choice for the consumer.

Regards,
SB

Wait, what's digital got to do with this? I assumed you actually get a physical disc am I wrong? The press release doesn't say but hints disc if anything. If it's a disc game though, obviously the retailers have to work with it and get compensated.

*Offer valid September 7-September 13, 2014 at participating retailers with purchase of Xbox One, Xbox One with Kinect, Xbox One Madden NFL 15 bundle, or Xbox One Forza Motorsport 5 bundle. Free game must be a new, disc-based game for Xbox One, maximum retail value $59.99. Not valid for pre-order games. Limit one free game per eligible Xbox One purchase. Cannot be combined with other offers. Refurbished consoles or used games not included. See your local retailer for details.

The PS4 lacks eastern software atm. Sales should be better next year. Despite selling ~5-7k/week, it's still on pace to sell roughly the same as the PS3 did in 1 year, and the PS3 benefited from 2 holiday seasons. I think it will reach ~10M lifetime again, which is not completely irrelevant IMO.

No 10m is definitely not completely irrelevant. I guess I expect maybe 5 or 6 million.

It's really selling as well as PS3 first year? That seems wrong. I know I posted some data from GAF where (IIRC) PS3 quickly pulled ahead, I remember being chastised on here because PS3 launched in holiday so it supposedly wasn't comparable...

Edit: I found this, if it's correct, for 2007 PS3

PlayStation 3: 806,347 (Lifetime sales: 1,273,063)

So 800k in 2007 and ~500k in 2006 I guess.

Ok maybe not quite. So PS3 sold 1.27M in nearly 14 months, and the PS4 currently sits at 678k in 6 months and a little over a week. I think it will sell ~1M after 14 months. But again, the PS3 had two holiday seasons in that span, as well as a better software lineup for Japan. PS4's software lineup looks much better next year. Right now, it's 99%+ western titles.

Dragon Quest Heroes and Persona 5 will be out next year, both have a PS3 version but will easily boost interest in the PS4.
DQH also has a custom PS4 so I expect it to have higher sales on PS4 than PS3.

Next year is when we will see Japan PS4 sales reinvigorated.

The XB1 on the other-hand is a lost cause, Nihon-jin don't want some Baka Gai-jin console.
:LOL:

Amazon Current 100 Bestsellers (09/04/2014)
#1 PlayStation Store Gift Card
#3 Destiny PS4
#4 Destiny XB1
#6 Destiny PS4 Bundle
#8 PS4 Game Console
#13 Hyrule Warriors Wii U
#15 Xbox Live Card
#20 Mario Kart 8 Wii U
#25 The Last of Us: Remastered PS4
#29 Madden 15 PS4
#30 Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition PS4
#32 Watch Dogs PS4 ($36)
#40 Halo: Master Chief Collection XB1
#42 XB1 Game Console
#44 NHL 15 PS4
#59 Destiny Digital Guardian Edition PS4
#60 Madden 15 XB1 Bundle
#61 FIFA 15 Ultimate Team Edition PS4
#63 Super Smash Bros Wii U
#65 Call of Duty XB1 ($23)
#67 Mario and Luigi Wii U Bundle
#73 Madden 15 XB1
#80 FIFA 15 PS4
#81 Super Mario 3D World Wii U
#85 NHL 15 XB1
#87 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero XB1
#89 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 ($33)
#93 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor PS4
#94 Destiny Limited Edition XB1
#100 FIFA 15 Ultimate Team Edition XB1

Amazon 2014 Top 100 Bestsellers (09/04/2014)
#1 PlayStation Store Gift Card
#4 PS4 Game Console
#6 Xbox Live Card
#8 Mario Kart 8 Wii U
#13 Titanfall XB1
#19 Destiny PS4
#20 Watch Dogs PS4
#21 Destiny XB1
#24 Infamous Second Son PS4
#29 The Last of Us: Remastered PS4
#31 FIFA 14 PS4
#36 Call of Duty: Ghosts XB1
#37 Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero PS4
#41 Titanfall XB1 Bundle
#43 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4
#44 XB1 Game Console + Kinect
#50 Battlefield 4 PS4
#51 Super Mario 3D World Wii U
#52 Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4
#57 Donkey Kong Country Wii U
#63 Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag PS4
#66 Tomb Raiders: Definitive Edition PS4
#67 MLB 14: The Show PS4
#76 Watch Dogs XB1
#79 Battlefield 4 XB1
#80 Mario and Luigi Wii U Bundle
#85 Need for Speed: Rivals PS4
#86 Destiny PS4 Bundle

Thanks. See what I mean about Destiny? I'm a little befuddled by it's performance. It doesn't seem to be doing well enough on the 2014 charts really. #19 and #21 and stuck there.

Should beat Watch Dogs but I dont know about Mario Kart or Titanfall. And we wont know really. Probably will beat Titanfall. Surely will now that I forgot there's PS3 and 360 versions, plus limited/Ghost editions plus PS4 SKU.

The Madden X1 has had a message "in stock but may take an extra 1-2 days to process" for the last few days. I'm not sure why but this always causes an item's ranking to struggle, and as you see has caused the game-less X1 to even move ahead, as people raise both consoles rankings as Destiny nears. Not a good look for MS heading into Destiny, they should have best foot forward and the Madden SKU in stock. I also of course am eager to see how the upcoming free game promotion will effect X1 hardware.

Wii U, 5 titles in top 100. Has to be a record since I've noticed.

PS4 has moved back ahead in total software in top 100, 11-8.

Master Chief Collection doing very well constantly staying in top 50 over two months away. I'm surprised, I'll buy it, but I'm not that excited for it.

Thanks. See what I mean about Destiny? I'm a little befuddled by it's performance. It doesn't seem to be doing well enough on the 2014 charts really. #19 and #21 and stuck there.

I’m pretty sure PS4/XB1 Destiny will overtake Mario Kart 8 and Titanfall spots …especially going into the holiday seasons. Plus, those games (MK8 & Titanfall) had more time to accumulate actual hard sales ...Destiny is still in pre-order status. So, I wouldn't worry too much...

True yeah...BUT I would caveat that I bet the majority of sales are for release day delivery, so only a few days left for that. Just as brick and mortar sales, most will be on day 1 with a sharp decline thereafter with each successive day and week.

Few things: I believe Destiny was pre-ordered more in 2013 than Titanfall and Mario Kart. Destiny will climb around launch as all games do. Titanfall and Mario Kart have already been released for months and have benefited from multiple sales and price drops. Destiny PS4/XB1 has to contend with a simultaneous cross-platform/multiplatform release. The Destiny PS4 bundle was announced way back at E3, so that has skewed the rankings/sales of the regular edition (and PS4 hardware sales) for over 3 months.

That said, I think both PS4 and XB1 versions will sell more than Titanfall and Mario Kart. If not soon after launch, they will eventually... I think Destiny will have longer legs. Destiny as a whole will definitely be the highest selling title of the year IMO, by quite a bit.

The strongest competitors of Destiny are WD [8+mil already], AC Unity and new COD. I still think that new COD has strongest chance of selling more than Destiny in 2014.

It is strange that Take2 is having zero promotions about GTA5 on nextgen [rumored to be out in mid-november].

It is strange that Take2 is having zero promotions about GTA5 on nextgen [rumored to be out in mid-november].
They probably feel they don't have too. No doubt a GTA V release date will be revealed toward the end of September but IGN reported a retailer letting slip that it'll launch on 18th November.

This is the same week as Far Cry 4 (f*** you, Ubisoft), Dragon Age Inquisiton (f*** you, EA) and Sleeping Dogs (f*** you, Squre Enix). Publishers have tended to avoid launching games close to GTA releases where at all possible so this must be a little disconcerting. It's not a new GTA game but I think it'll sell a ton. For those on tight budgets it's going to be stealing sales from other games.

The distribution of games currently for November/December is dumb. According to my gaming calendar this is how it looks.
  • W/C November 3 - Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
  • W/C November 10 - The Crew, Assassin's Creed Unity, Wow Warlords of Draenor, Lego Batman 3
  • W/C November 17 - Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, Sleeping Dogs, ? GTA V ?
  • W/C November 24 - nothing
  • W/C December 1 - nothing
  • W/C December 7 - nothing
  • W/C December 14 - nothing
  • W/C December 21 - nothing
Admittedly I'm only tracking games on my radar or that I'm interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back