All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your history straight. :)

Infamous and Titanfall were released around March 20th. WD was released in late May. Two different quarters.

Furthermore, Garden Warfare was February, and nobody cared about Kinect Sports Rivals.

sorry, I didn't actually care about WD so thought it came out earlier in the year.

GAF also surfaced these ubi tidbits. Notable because we get incredibly little data about digital sales

About expected, more confirmation digital is still a small minority on PS4/X1 (but of anything, 10% is a little higher than I expected, so perhaps it's growing, well, clearly vs 360/ps3).

I'm actually surprised it's only 10%. I thought digital would be a little more than that.

I'm actually surprised it's only 10%. I thought digital would be a little more than that.

The backlash on Microsofts drm wasn't founded on made up issues, people still have plenty of reasons to buy a physical copy. A friend of mine bought the DD version of infamous 2. We were discussing tomb raider and I offered him to borrow my copy.. And then he suggested I could borrow his infamous 2.. Then it occurred to him what he had done.. :)

The backlash on Microsofts drm wasn't founded on made up issues, people still have plenty of reasons to buy a physical copy. A friend of mine bought the DD version of infamous 2. We were discussing tomb raider and I offered him to borrow my copy.. And then he suggested I could borrow his infamous 2.. Then it occurred to him what he had done.. :)

It's more because DD pricing on console is broken, it's so expensive. For your Infamous 2 case, just add him as a friend then he can play all the DD games in your library and you can play his, just like Steam does. I presume you can do that by now, it is 2014 after all but if you can't then chalk that up as yet another reason why people avoid DD on console, because it's implementation is broken.Or worded another way, there is nothing wrong with DD as it is the majority of what people use on every platform on the planet except console. Console DD is avoided because console DD is broken.

It's more because DD pricing on console is broken, it's so expensive. For your Infamous 2 case, just add him as a friend then he can play all the DD games in your library and you can play his, just like Steam does. I presume you can do that by now, it is 2014 after all but if you can't then chalk that up as yet another reason why people avoid DD on console, because it's implementation is broken.Or worded another way, there is nothing wrong with DD as it is the majority of what people use on every platform on the planet except console. Console DD is avoided because console DD is broken.

I don't think its broken as much as I think it just hasn't evolved to where it needs to be to offer value.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with DD games being the same price as physical media. After all, the physical media, packaging, etc isn't exactly a significant cost of the product to begin with - you're still really just paying for the software license.

But I think we agree on concept. The DD scheme that was announced that would allow sharing with friends of your library as long as you weren't also playing that game would have been a leap (not a step) forward. Even without the ability to sell your DD games, the ability to share your library with friends is clearly an advancement over TKF's scenario where he had to actually swap discs in meatspace with his friend.

Unfortunately, in order to allow that to happen, there has to be a DRM scheme in place to make sure that multiple people aren't playing off of the same license at the same time. And we all saw how that turned out.

Console DD is avoided because console DD is broken.

In your humble opinion of course.. is there any DD platform on the PC that lets me play another guys game?

From what i know the biggest issue is that when i access another family members library on steam we can´t access the same library at the same time.. imho that makes it just as broken, borrow a game to a friend get blocked from everything you own...

It´s like when i borrow my friend Tomb Raider then i can¨t play anything on my PS4 until he returns it...

The only redeeming quality for DD on the PC is the price and the large amount of keyshops making the prices very very low.. If DD was as cheap on the Consoles it would be a real option.

In your humble opinion of course.. is there any DD platform on the PC that lets me play another guys game?

From what i know the biggest issue is that when i access another family members library on steam we can´t access the same library at the same time.. imho that makes it just as broken, borrow a game to a friend get blocked from everything you own...

It´s like when i borrow my friend Tomb Raider then i can¨t play anything on my PS4 until he returns it...

The only redeeming quality for DD on the PC is the price and the large amount of keyshops making the prices very very low.. If DD was as cheap on the Consoles it would be a real option.

ITs like when you want to borrow a persons copy of Zelda 2 on the nes . Magicly once you borrow it , he can't play it until you give it back.

There wont ever be a time when they let multiple people play the same copy of a game at the same time.

I'm happy with the way steam works right now and it would be a huge move forward if the next gen consoles supported a similar system.

The backlash on Microsofts drm wasn't founded on made up issues, people still have plenty of reasons to buy a physical copy. A friend of mine bought the DD version of infamous 2. We were discussing tomb raider and I offered him to borrow my copy.. And then he suggested I could borrow his infamous 2.. Then it occurred to him what he had done..

Yet if we got ms's drm he could have let you borrow a game on the xbox one and this problem would have been solved.

The real problem with the drm is that people have gotten used to treating games like trash. They buy a game for $60 and beat it as fast as they can and trade it in for $30 to get the next $60 game. People don't want to loose that ability because hey its money.

I say to that however , don't buy games you will only play for a few days , read reviews and buy games that you can play for months. It wil lreverse this trend of 4 or 6 hour games

ITs like when you want to borrow a persons copy of Zelda 2 on the nes . Magicly once you borrow it , he can't play it until you give it back.

There wont ever be a time when they let multiple people play the same copy of a game at the same time.

I'm happy with the way steam works right now and it would be a huge move forward if the next gen consoles supported a similar system.

Yet if we got ms's drm he could have let you borrow a game on the xbox one and this problem would have been solved.

The real problem with the drm is that people have gotten used to treating games like trash. They buy a game for $60 and beat it as fast as they can and trade it in for $30 to get the next $60 game. People don't want to loose that ability because hey its money.

I say to that however , don't buy games you will only play for a few days , read reviews and buy games that you can play for months. It wil lreverse this trend of 4 or 6 hour games

Uhhh? Maybe they changed things, but afaik when I share a game on steam I can't access and play my other 100+ games, how that compares to a nes cartridge is confusing to me.

Microsoft could have done what you propose but that wasn't was they wanted. They wanted to take away the owner ship of my physical copy.

Uhhh? Maybe they changed things, but afaik when I share a game on steam I can't access and play my other 100+ games, how that compares to a nes cartridge is confusing to me.

Microsoft could have done what you propose but that wasn't was they wanted. They wanted to take away the owner ship of my physical copy.

You claim that is what they wanted to do , but infact they wanted to transfer over to a less expensive future for all of us.

For steam you can enable off line mode for certain games , for example I play civ 5 and xcom a lot while my gf has been playing my copy of south park.

The one would have a 24 hour check. So I would have been able to lend you a game and then play another game off line while your playing my original game.

Optical discs are a waste in so many ways.

1) They are slow as hell

2) They hold only 50 gigs and thus we will eventually get limited by the disc size or developers will have to shell out more money for more discs

3) The optical drives are extremely bulky and expensive. For the price and size of an optical drive you can put in a fast 3.5 inch drive of larger capacity than the 2.5 inch drive and decrease the size of the console by a great degree.

4) Cost - Compared to carts they were a revolution in the gaming industry. Going from $30 for 32megs of storage to $3 or $5 for 750 megs was a huge boom. But even at the start we went backwards in transfer rates and now the difference in transfer rates and seek times is vastly lower than hard drives. With a bluray , you need to press the discs , add them to the packing , print the packaging and then ship them all over the world. DD the data is hosted on servers around the world nad downloaded.

I am fully for a digital future , My music and my movies have transitioned and its so much better and on the pc I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in a long time . I'm just waiting on the consoles to go that way.

PS3 enables that, and I presume PS4 thus do too.

If the PS3 & PS4 can do that, I would assume the 360 & XB1 do too. You're basically running it on the non-home system with the profile that bought the game while being connected online. Provided you're comfortable giving somebody else your profile info to load on their system.

Tommy McClain

If the PS3 & PS4 can do that, I would assume the 360 & XB1 do too. You're basically running it on the non-home system with the profile that bought the game while being connected online.
On PS3, you can play any game installed on the PS3 with any account on that PS3. Therefore you can add a family/friend account to your machine, download their purchases to your machine, and then play with your account. You can play their purchase on your PS3 with your account, and join up online and play with them under their account on their PS3. The limiting factor is that you can register a game on two PS3s at any given time, so even if your account is present on three or more machines, a game bought online can only be concurrently installed on two of them. You can unregister games and enable them on other machines, so you can also time-share as well as play online. This feature used to work with up to five active PS3's per download, but that was abused and Sony closed it down.

That has to be supported on the OS level in terms of how accounts access games. I don't believe that's possible on 360 nor XB1 yet. Don't you need to use your account to access any purchases you made, necessitating someone logging in as you to use your games online? And if you can only be logged into a game once over Live, you can't play a friend on the same game purchase.

I've sold 3 PS4 games and just picked one up on sale.

No way I'll ever pay full price for a DD game that I can't re-sell.

Good luck with that. The moment optical disc cease being a method of distribution, you will be stuck with waiting for every thing to price drop.

DD has made discs pretty irrelevant in the PC space and has never been an option in the smartphone space. The writing is on the wall. Physical distribution of software is going away.

On PS3 and PS4, the only requirement for the ability to play a game which was bought on another profile, is that this profile is currently present on your console and has had a valid password entered. No need for that profile to log in though

You claim that is what they wanted to do , but infact they wanted to transfer over to a less expensive future for all of us.

For steam you can enable off line mode for certain games , for example I play civ 5 and xcom a lot while my gf has been playing my copy of south park.

The one would have a 24 hour check. So I would have been able to lend you a game and then play another game off line while your playing my original game.

Lets just start with steam that you claimed was a great solution. Did you ever borrow someone else one of your games, and were you able to play your other games when he was playing yours?

What you are suggesting is something totally different, that is using Steams offline mode and sharing your account to every single game you own.

What One was trying to do was full retarded instead of oscar worthy. If they had went ahead with everything they wanted just for DD they would have moved DD to the next lvl. But they didn´t get the oscar.

What we want is a clearcut supported DD solution where i can borrow my game to someone on my friends list without losing any access to my other games, hell i would accept a 48 hour cooldown before i could play it again when he was done. I would even accept a 7 day maximum on the borrow out period.
Of course the moment this was implementer instead of kinguin.net for keys for every DD service out there we would have kinguin.net for renting games with someone building a service that would make lots of money on being the Blockbuster service for DD, so i doubt it will ever happen without lots of limitations like steam has now.

Optical discs are a waste in so many ways.
1) They are slow as hell
They serve as a transfer medium right now so totally invalid argument, games never installed faster on consoles than they today, at least on the PS4.
2) They hold only 50 gigs and thus we will eventually get limited by the disc size or developers will have to shell out more money for more discs
7 GB is enough, remember? yeh, didn´t think so, since there is no artificial reason (7GB is enough!) to keep the 2nd disc expensive i doubt it will ever be a problem for really big games.

3) The optical drives are extremely bulky and expensive. For the price and size of an optical drive you can put in a fast 3.5 inch drive of larger capacity than the 2.5 inch drive and decrease the size of the console by a great degree.

4) Cost - Compared to carts they were a revolution in the gaming industry. Going from $30 for 32megs of storage to $3 or $5 for 750 megs was a huge boom. But even at the start we went backwards in transfer rates and now the difference in transfer rates and seek times is vastly lower than hard drives. With a bluray , you need to press the discs , add them to the packing , print the packaging and then ship them all over the world. DD the data is hosted on servers around the world nad downloaded.
Take these to our old thread, and be reminded of the good old days.
I am fully for a digital future , My music and my movies have transitioned and its so much better and on the pc I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in a long time . I'm just waiting on the consoles to go that way.
I love my cloud services as well, they are a fine compromise for convenience, but i still buy cd´s and watch blu rays when i want to go above the average quality. And i buy lots of games on the PC, they are dirt cheap and it´s almost impossible to not get some kind of DD crap even if you buy discs.

What if download games were $20 a piece and were added to your library for future use on streaming services?

This would be a good compromise and something I would seriously consider. Personally I'm in favor of a delivery mechanism that puts the consumers dollars more directly in the hands of the content creator.

On a related note, when did MS ever officially disclose the full details of their DRM plans? The messaging was pretty bad and contradictory at times so much so that I don't see how anyone kept it all straight. Was the policy ever comprehensively outlined or detailed somewhere for people to preview?

If the PS3 & PS4 can do that, I would assume the 360 & XB1 do too.

Yeah.

Each PS4 game purchased via PSN has 2 licenses [PS3 had more]. One for the account where the game was purchased, and another for sharing it to any other account on activated console. XB1 has the same setup as PS4.

My primary PS4 & Vita account is UK one, but I sure as hell don't purchase PS4 games on it. They are too expensive. So, solution for cheaper games is simple. I purchase all my games on a secondary US account [it is activated on my console] using Amazon PSN wallet cards, and because that account is sitting "unused" on my console, my friend can log into it as a Guest and play all my games anytime he wants. We share purchases 50/50, and we can play those games at the same time without any limitations. I play on my account, he plays on that US account.

And there you go, with that system (that Sony and MS fully support), you never need to pay full price for a DD game. Just find a suitable friend/family member who will be willing to loose some privileges that are not present in "guest" accounts.

On a related note, when did MS ever officially disclose the full details of their DRM plans? The messaging was pretty bad and contradictory at times so much so that I don't see how anyone kept it all straight. Was the policy ever comprehensively outlined or detailed somewhere for people to preview?

Yes. MS posted full breakdown of their restrictive DRM plans just before E3 [original MS page is not live anymore]. It was bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StPJgWkN-U

...and 2 weeks later, after Sony got 2 minute standing ovation with wrestling-like "Sony! Sony! Sony!" chants from the E3 audience, they reversed it all.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back