All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.

Each PS4 game purchased via PSN has 2 licenses [PS3 had more]. One for the account where the game was purchased, and another for sharing it to any other account on activated console. XB1 has the same setup as PS4.

My primary PS4 & Vita account is UK one, but I sure as hell don't purchase PS4 games on it. They are too expensive. So, solution for cheaper games is simple. I purchase all my games on a secondary US account [it is activated on my console] using Amazon PSN wallet cards, and because that account is sitting "unused" on my console, my friend can log into it as a Guest and play all my games anytime he wants. We share purchases 50/50, and we can play those games at the same time without any limitations. I play on my account, he plays on that US account.

And there you go, with that system (that Sony and MS fully support), you never need to pay full price for a DD game. Just find a suitable friend/family member who will be willing to loose some privileges that are not present in "guest" accounts.

Yes. MS posted full breakdown of their restrictive DRM plans just before E3 [original MS page is not live anymore]. It was bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StPJgWkN-U

...and 2 weeks later, after Sony got 2 minute standing ovation with wrestling-like "Sony! Sony! Sony!" chants from the E3 audience, they reversed it all.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Perhaps what we see in these threads from time to time is more revisionism then bc there are vocal few who keep reminding all of us how good MS DRM policy was and how the details were never fully revealed bc the internet wouldn't let them.

I do vaguely recall someone high up at MS on Twitter answering a question about the specifics which was pointed as proof of how good DRM was and alternatively characterized as a lie by those who hated DRM. It has something to with sharing and simultaneous use if I recall.....

On PS3, you can play any game installed on the PS3 with any account on that PS3. Therefore you can add a family/friend account to your machine, download their purchases to your machine, and then play with your account. You can play their purchase on your PS3 with your account, and join up online and play with them under their account on their PS3. The limiting factor is that you can register a game on two PS3s at any given time, so even if your account is present on three or more machines, a game bought online can only be concurrently installed on two of them. You can unregister games and enable them on other machines, so you can also time-share as well as play online. This feature used to work with up to five active PS3's per download, but that was abused and Sony closed it down.

That has to be supported on the OS level in terms of how accounts access games. I don't believe that's possible on 360 nor XB1 yet. Don't you need to use your account to access any purchases you made, necessitating someone logging in as you to use your games online? And if you can only be logged into a game once over Live, you can't play a friend on the same game purchase.

I can play any game that was bought on my Xbox 360 no matter what profile purchased it. Don't need to be online to do it either. XB1 supports the same. Now it gets tricky if I were to try play that same game on another console that wasn't used to purchase it. On the 360 purchasing digital games is locked to both your profile & console ID used to download it. On the XB1 purchases are tied to your Home Console(which can be changed). Anyway, in that case on the 360 only the profile that was used to buy it can play it & you have to be connected online for it to work. On the XB1(if you're not playing on the Home Console) then as long as the profile that purchased it is logged in & connected online, then any other profile can play it too. This is where you see a lot of people swapping profiles on XB1. Now you could transfer the license from one 360 to another, but you're only allowed to do this once every 4 months. On the XB1 I think it's 3 times a year, not sure if it's once every 4 months. Now as for how it works concurrently, on the 360 you can't be logged in more than one system at a time, but on the XB1 I think you can. You just switch focus from one profile to another allowing the original profile that purchased that title run in the background. So I think it does allow concurrently playing.

Tommy McClain

What if download games were $20 a piece and were added to your library for future use on streaming services?

Possibly.

But we know that they will try to charge the same as the shrink-wrapped.

It really depends on what the actual ASP of games are. There's a surge of sales at release for $60. But soon enough, they're discounting to $40.

So is the ASP closer to $60 or $40 in the sales run of a given game?

If it's the latter, they may not get too many takers at $60 for the DD.

$20 would be a good value but $60 would not, since we know they have no manufacturing or inventory costs whatsoever.

But a lot of suckers may pay $60 for a digital copy from which they can't recoup any costs unlike a $60 shrink wrapped game.

What if download games were $20 a piece and were added to your library for future use on streaming services?

They will never be even close! Nope, pubs/platform holders will not budge an inch.

I guess it's not that bad...you do end up with Steam sales and such. But new releases are 59.99 no exception.

All these people talking about reselling, it is true, but there's not just a ton of value there unless you sell it quick. More than a couple months it'll probably be essentially worthless. Me, I like to OWN games, not think I need to hurry through it so i can sell it in time...

I'd say possibly bigger factors are:

Download time. On my 15 Mpbs connection, it's a real issue for a 40 GB game. Granted play while downloading mitigates that somewhat, it's also an imperfect solution (perhaps only the intro becomes available, while the game has hours to go).

Price: COD Ghosts Xbox One on disc is currently 19.99 on Amazon, 59.99 on PSN/XBL.

If anything, for whatever odddball reasons, the market has currently dictated digital will sell for a premium over disc, if anything (and there is a convenience factor there)

Come to think of it the savings pubs get with digital over retail (packaging, distribution, sometimes retailer cut) probably just goes into staving off a price increase to 69.99. Which poersonally I thought was warranted this gen.

Finally though, people complain too much about price only in the context of initial price. The market has decided you will pay a premium for getting a product quickly, but if you are willing to wait a bit the price always drops substantially. Games are NOT 59.99. They are 59.99 if you buy them early enough.

Lets just start with steam that you claimed was a great solution. Did you ever borrow someone else one of your games, and were you able to play your other games when he was playing yours?
Only off line , if I log back in it will give him a pre detertimed amount of time to either buy the game or log him out. My gf and I use this feature often.

What you are suggesting is something totally different, that is using Steams offline mode and sharing your account to every single game you own.
Not really , steam allows you to play certain games off line . One game I love to play is civ 5 and another x com , they have no online componenets and so on my surface I play them quite a lot. At the same time my gf can play a shared game.

What One was trying to do was full retarded instead of oscar worthy. If they had went ahead with everything they wanted just for DD they would have moved DD to the next lvl. But they didn´t get the oscar.

THe xbox one would have granted you the same rights for both digital and physical copies of the game , a system that nothing else uses.

You'd be able to sell your DD or your physical disc , you'd be able to trade them and so on.

What we want is a clearcut supported DD solution where i can borrow my game to someone on my friends list without losing any access to my other games, hell i would accept a 48 hour cooldown before i could play it again when he was done. I would even accept a 7 day maximum on the borrow out period.
It would have been great then to see the full DD plans from MS but as it stood you'd be able to play a game while someone is borrowing a game of yours
Of course the moment this was implementer instead of kinguin.net for keys for every DD service out there we would have kinguin.net for renting games with someone building a service that would make lots of money on being the Blockbuster service for DD, so i doubt it will ever happen without lots of limitations like steam has now.
the limitation would be that only MS makes the keys . So there wouldn't be third party sellers.

With physical media tied under the same DRM you'd be able to go to Walmart who has $10 off that game this week and buy it there and then have the same rights and features as the DD copy

They serve as a transfer medium right now so totally invalid argument, games never installed faster on consoles than they today, at least on the PS4.

My download speed is faster than bluray . And most of the games have day one patches anyway. So not only do you install the game but then need to install the patch. A DD version wouldn't have that problem

7 GB is enough, remember? yeh, didn´t think so, since there is no artificial reason (7GB is enough!) to keep the 2nd disc expensive i doubt it will ever be a problem for really big games.

This is a different generation and we now have more powerful hardware. I have been playing games on my pc greater than 7GB for a number of years. But my graphics card has had more ram than the entire xbox 360 had . Things like star wars the old republic were in the 40 gig range and now things like star citizen are already up to 10 gigs just for the dog fight and hanger modual .

Take these to our old thread, and be reminded of the good old days.

I love my cloud services as well, they are a fine compromise for convenience, but i still buy cd´s and watch blu rays when i want to go above the average quality. And i buy lots of games on the PC, they are dirt cheap and it´s almost impossible to not get some kind of DD crap even if you buy discs.

The quality diffrences in price aren't worth it to me. Cd's vs free Pandora or $10 a month unlimited xbox music isn't worth the minor quality difference.

The same with a $25-$30 bluray or Netflix / xbox video

I used to have thousands of dvds and cds. The space I've gained back has been enormous . I had specific furniture for housing dvds and cds and they would take up so much room. Now I have one small piece for the few pc games / blurays and console games that I own physical. IF I still had all my old stuff my gf and I would have to be looking at 3 bedroom town houses to dedicate one room to all the media I had.

Now my small nas about the size of a shoebox houses all my ripped cds / dvds and blurays while they sit and rot in my parents attic .

In your humble opinion of course..

Apparently in the opinion of your friend as well. Look how you worded it when you said "He realized what he had done". That right there implies that buying dd on console was a mistake, which points to how broken that model is on console right now. DD is supposed to be a bonus, a feature, a convenience, but the way it's implemented on console means your friend is right, on that platform it is a mistake.

The only redeeming quality for DD on the PC is the price

...and that you can share them with friends and family, and that you can play them on your pc, laptop, tablet and all your devices, and that you can play them at home or remotely on a bus or plane, and that you can stream them from a powerful main pc to other weak devices and play that way, and that you get to keep playing them when you buy new hardware, etc. There's a reason why a game like Watch Dogs sold 70% in dd on pc whereas dd was only 10% of sales on new console. It's because the console dd model is terrible, it's no wonder people are avoiding it like the plague.

...and that you can share them with friends and family, and that you can play them on your pc, laptop, tablet and all your devices, and that you can play them at home or remotely on a bus or plane, and that you can stream them from a powerful main pc to other weak devices and play that way, and that you get to keep playing them when you buy new hardware, etc.

Yeah, but, like, apart from all of those things ....

(MS could have taken many of these advantages and combined them with the advantages of physical ownership, but they fecked up, like a clown painting a cock on his face)

THe xbox one would have granted you the same rights for both digital and physical copies of the game , a system that nothing else uses.
You'd be able to sell your DD or your physical disc , you'd be able to trade them and so on.
It would have been great then to see the full DD plans from MS but as it stood you'd be able to play a game while someone is borrowing a game of yours
They never said you'd be able to sell your DD, and selling/trading your disc to a friend was never claimed to be possible at will (just once), it's only at participating retailers too (so with controlled profits, and planned service availability), and it's only available as long as they want it to be, so are the servers (planned obsolescence). The 24 hours check was mostly insanity, there's no other word for it. They now want to move entirely to games-as-a-service model. Not sure what consumer rights you expect from this (selling? trading? lending? keeping a game forever?).

IMO, The best solution (XB1, or PS4, or PC, whatever) would have been to allow the disc to be used with no restriction, no DRM, no login required, but still allow the owner to play discless when logged in. DD version should be transferable at will, click the game, click the friend, "give/lend". Collectors buy the disc, normal gamers buy it DD, everybody gets fair consumer rights.

They'll never do this in a million years, because some execs at major studios are a bunch of profitary gluttons and brainless bean counters. They don't understand that the locked-down business model they crave is too aggressive and will not be accepted by the majority of gamers. They want planned obsolescence, they want to kill used games, they can't allow two gamers to play the same copy, they can't allow you to freely change the account that owns the purchased game, because they think it's piracy. The only reason they still allow us to do this with the disc, is because they would have lost even more sales otherwise. Thanks to forum warriors for telling them before it was too late.

It's not some kind of technology to be developed, this is some relatively simple database work. This is more a business decision, which is tied to the entire game publishing industry. If MS can give gamers more rights on DD without losing sales, Sony will immediately do the same, for the same reasons that if MS could have stripped away disc ownership rights without losing sales, Sony would also have followed. The same reason MS had to backtrack on their DRM scheme, lost sales otherwise, back to the level playfield. The publishing deals can't be so asymmetrical between platforms. Remember the major studios stopped Sony from allowing DD games from being played on up to 5 consoles in the early PS3 era, calling it piracy. They'll control this too, because the industry moves in tandem. The publishers think that a second person playing the game you purchased is piracy, that's where the problem is, it's not a technological limitation. They need to give some candy to make you swallow the planned obsolescence and occasional DRM issues, they haven't figured out how to give a candy that doesn't make them lose sales (hence the crazy "share the entire account or nothing"). They hit a wall and I guess some gamers weren't as naive as they expected.

p.s. : Your NAS reference is doublethink(tm). The only reason you can actually have a NAS with CD/DVD and bluray rips is because they don't have online DRM, and the copy protection have been cracked. You accept a world of aggressive online DRM based on wishful thinking, and your reference is a system that specifically doesn't have that anti-consumer limitation, which is the core of the antiDRM crowd arguments. You didn't lose the ability to playback your films on your NAS when Orion, or MGM, or NewLine went belly up, the auth servers would have been shutdown when these studios closed. As soon as new deals are signed, and deals expire with Netflix, thousands of films are no longer available. How's that for film-as-a-service? You're tied on a day-to-day basis of what they want to allow you to play, based on ephemeral deals. Expect games-as-a-service to suffer the same fate. Disc is, sadly, the only ubiquitous fall back plan that allows a minimum of consumer rights, because it cannot be changed after the facts.

It feels to me that what many here are proposing is effectively getting a way to have 2+ licences for the cost of one.

You buy one copy, you get to boot up one instance of the game, online or offline.
It's the way the system is designed, and currently it gets its job done relatively well. You won't sell 1 million copies and find 1.5 million players playing simultaneously.

Sharing is fine with disks because the number of copies a consumer can boot up is simply limited to the number of physical disks the consumer can get his/her hands on. They have to physically hand over a disk so another "friend" can use it and this really limits how one copy being shared around will result in lost revenue.

DD, however is not that simple, and there are people that will exploit/break the system so that they can play free copies. We had this type of problems in the early PS3 days (heck I had friends that made a special account to chip in and buy COD:MW2 DLC and shared the account around. They effectively had 3~5 people getting the DLC for the cost of 1).

In the end coming up with a system to share under DD isn't impossible. I'm sure it is doable. However, given what I have seen, it would have to be a very complicated solution with constant checks to see if you're playing a legit copy, and would most likely require more investment to produce something that... in the end doesn't produce any revenue stream for the publishers or the console makers. What's more, if it breaks and people exploit it to play free copies, it takes away from their revenue stream if anything.

The simple answer is to tell the people that would like to share games to fall back to physical disks. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

*AHEM* Can we please get back onto the topic and hand? There's other threads that are more appropriate for dealing with the game sharing and mechanics of DD or the DRM systems that are required.

Thanks.

Current Amazon Best Sellers 100 Ranking (07/14/2014)

#1 PlayStation Store Gift Card
#3 Destiny PS4
#5 Xbox Gift Card
#6 Mario Kart 8 Wii U
#7 Destiny XB1
#9 PS4 Game Console
#13 Destiny Limited Edition XB1
#14 The Last of Us Remastered PS4
#16 Call of Duty ($19) XB1
#27 FIFA 14 ($42) PS4
#29 Assassin’s Creed Black Flag ($24) XB1
#34 Watch Dogs PS4
#36 PS4 Destiny Bundle
#38 Super Mario 3D World WiiU
#40 Battlefield 4 ($28) XB1
#44 WiiU 32GB Mario & Luigi Bundle
#47 XB1 Game System (Kinectless Sku)
#57 Wolfenstein: The New Order ($39) PS4
#58 Halo: Master Chief Collection XB1
#71 MLB 14: The Show PS4
#86 Battlefield 4 ($42) PS4
#91 Call of Duty: Ghost ($39) PS4

Some of the games listed with prices, have some neat deals going on, compared to most retailers.

We should see TLoU climb into the top ten next week. Destiny should start dropping, I don't understand how it can hold so well all the way until Sept. I still can't fathom how a $449 PS4 pre-order is beating the $399 XB1. Some good deals on XB1 software, I wonder if the prices reflect soft demand?

The Destiny beta is soon, which is why pre-orders have picked up over the last week or so. So I'm not surprised that Destiny sales have picked up, but I am surprised that the white Ps4 bundle has consistently stayed ~40 or below. Destiny Limited and Ghost editions have sold out on PS4 (XB1 Ghost edition as well). Plus both Standard editions are in the top 10.

#off-topic..

If the game is huge, and it indeed runs a lot better on a certain platform, then that certain platform, bundled with the game (in white nonetheless!) could have a lot of sales. Leading to an even bigger install base of that certain platform. It's all connected :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back