All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive start for Mario Kart 8. The hardware sales bump in Japan isn't huge, but that's still two weeks in a row that the Wii U has outsold the PS4, and continues to outpace the PS4 in Japan. As of right now, Wii U is the next gen console of choice in Japan. With that said, the console market in Japan has seen better days. June will be the month to watch for Wii U hardware sales. I want to watch the weekly numbers and see if there is a sustained increase in Wii U sales. As for software sales, Mario Kart 8 is going to have a ridiculous attach rate. We could see a 50% attach rate within the first few months on the market. I am betting over 2 million copies sold by the end of June, and over 4 million by the end of the year. Its not just because its Mario Kart, but because its actually a very good game as well. Nintendo has faltered with the Wii U in lots of ways, but the quality of their software is still top notch and with enough really good games out of the console, its going to sell some units, its just never going to be competing with the PS4 for market leader. Its destined to be a niche product by comparison.

Impressive start for Mario Kart 8. The hardware sales bump in Japan isn't huge

Not impressive with only 19k hardware. Heck even 50-60k Wii U probably wouldn't mean much. Maybe it can keep the Wii U at a higher plateau in coming weeks.

On another note, the Kinectless XO has moved to 64th at Amazon. Titanfall bundle 42nd currently. I wonder if Kinectless bundle can overtake TF bundle by the 9th. I'm not necessarily expecting big things from it at Amazon, but that doesn't mean it wont sell well elsewhere. You could even argue TF bundle is a better deal, as you get a $50 game and thus Kinect in theory for only $50. Or a game and Kinect for $100.

It would also be cool to see some retailers get crazy and do a $349 Xbox One sale.

It would also be cool to see some retailers get crazy and do a $349 Xbox One sale.

That will most probably just damage the brand; customers will see it as the new price and after the sale will probably wait until that is the new, actual retail price.
Though I won't be surprised if the Xbox One will drop to 349 before it releases in the rest of europe in september: the PS4 is at 399 and still in rather short supply. "If it's less powerful then it should be priced accordingly" is what customers would probably think (though I admit, 299 or 199 (depending on actual gflop power, or just raw bandwidth and bus or ROP advantages) for the Xbox One is too low, I mean even the Wii U is more expensive than that, and it's even less powerfull than the Xbox One, so comparing to Wii U, Xbox at 399 is actually cheap).

Not impressive with only 19k hardware. Heck even 50-60k Wii U probably wouldn't mean much. Maybe it can keep the Wii U at a higher plateau in coming weeks.

On another note, the Kinectless XO has moved to 64th at Amazon. Titanfall bundle 42nd currently. I wonder if Kinectless bundle can overtake TF bundle by the 9th. I'm not necessarily expecting big things from it at Amazon, but that doesn't mean it wont sell well elsewhere. You could even argue TF bundle is a better deal, as you get a $50 game and thus Kinect in theory for only $50. Or a game and Kinect for $100.

I said that the 19k in hardware isn't that impressive, but a game selling over 300k in a couple days in Japan is pretty impressive. The reality is that if the Wii U sustains even just 15k per week in Japan, that will solidify the Wii U as the market leader in Japan for the foreseeable future. There are lots of Japanese only developers, so its relevant to be the market leader there. I think its pretty safe to bet that the Wii U will be Nintendo's worst selling console, but the fact is that Mario Kart has already put Wii U's in homes, and now we will have to watch and see if it has a last effect through the month of June. I think its safe to say that Nintendo will cruise past their ultra conservative forecast for the fiscal year. Mario Kart and Smash Bros make it nearly impossible for them to not blow by that super low number.

There are lots of Japanese only developers, so its relevant to be the market leader there.
You need to be the market leader for those devs. The importance is how well 3rd party titles perform, not Nintendo's platform tent-pole exclusives. For the majority of Japanese devs, creating games to sell on console means targeting a Western audience too. If they just want to target the home market, they'll target handhelds as that's where the business is. Being the market leader (whether Sony or Nintendo or even MS) of a very small domestic market isn't going to pull the developers to one's big-box console!

Kinectless XBO has moved into the top 60 at Amazon, after falling a bit the last few days. It's currently #53 vs #42 for Titanfall SKU.

So it looks like you'd think it's on pace to surpass the TF SKU by Monday.

But can it stay ahead? Or is this just new toy syndrome? Oh the drama.

Also GAF was also able to get enough data to guesstimate Wolfenstein UK week 1 sales (2 weeks ago)

01 (NE) WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 82,050

PS4 - 31,179
XBO - 25,435
360 - 9,846
PC - 9,025
PS3 - 6,564

The interesting thing there is it's much closer than Watch Dogs. I guess Xbox remains FPS biased.

Also, Xbox behind PS4 in UK, shows what hill it has yet to climb. To be competitive worldwide of course it needs to healthily outpace PS4 in UK and USA.

Watchdogs had larger lead on PS4 because of the bundle and muuuuch stronger Sony-focused game marketing.
Does that stuff really influence buyers? Didn't it sell better on PS4 simply because there are more PS4 owners than Xbox One owners? Admittedly if I owned both consoles I'd have gone PS4 purely because it was reportedly running better (less screen tearing in particular) once it began to leak prior to release. But it reminds me I've only played one of the PS4 exclusive missions ('CTRL'). I must find the other three. So much stuff left to mop up!

Sony back at top of console sales after eight years

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) sold 18.7 million PlayStation 4 (PS4) systems and other game consoles for the fiscal year to March, the Nikkei business daily said, to Nintendo's 16.31 million units.

Microsoft (Berlin: MSF.BE - news) 's sales rose 16 percent to 11.6 million thanks to the rollout of the popular Xbox One towards the end of 2013, the report added.

This is interesting:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-back-top-console-sales-080331173.html
Sony (Berlin: SON1.BE - news) have topped worldwide sales of video game consoles for the first time in eight years, a newspaper reported on Saturday (Shenzhen: 002291.SZ - news) , pipping struggling rival Nintendo and signalling the Playstation manufacturer's comeback.

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) sold 18.7 million PlayStation 4 (PS4) systems and other game consoles for the fiscal year to March, the Nikkei business daily said, to Nintendo's 16.31 million units.

The release of the PS4 in the United States and other markets in November propelled Sony's fortunes after a disappointing response to the console's predecessor, the PS3.

Almost seven million PS4's were sold, but Sony's overall sales of hardware, including the portable PlayStation Vita, still fell some 20 percent for the fiscal year, the report said.

's console sales slid 31 percent as the portable 3DS system failed to entice gamers while the new Wii U also fared poorly, it added.

Sony last topped the console sales list in March 2006 but sales of the PS3 came in below expectations and struggled against's Wii and DS series.

So I guess it must have been Nintendo #1 since 2006? That is interesting in itself.

There's no way MS could win any years due to not having a handheld I think.

But I found it interesting Sony was still down 20% while MS was up 16%.

I guess that's the effect of MS effectively having two consoles on the market simultaneously for the first time ever (Xbox was effectively dead as soon as 360 launched).

I'm not sure why Sony would be down, that strikes me as odd. It must be that their handheld sales, both Vita and PSP, must have declined enough to overcome hot PS4 sales? That's a lot of decline, I didn't think Vita sold that much before.

I'd like to investigate these numbers further. Unfortunately I dont keep personal records of handheld sales like I do console sales, so it would require some annoying google work at least.

Edit: to fill in further, I have MS at 11.6m consoles sold in the calendar year April 2013-March 2014 that these figures cover. 6.5m 360 and 5.1m X1.

So for year ending March 2014, using the articles numbers for Sony/Nintendo. Year over year in parentheses.

Sony 18.7 (-20%)
Nintendo 16.31 (-31%)
MS 11.6 (+16%)

Will be interesting to think about long term trends here. The one that sticks out is I think handhelds will just continue to trend downward, so it will trend towards a consoles-only chart. However, handhelds may stay significant enough to prevent MS from ever winning a year. Even a couple million would sway a chart like this significantly, even while representing a poor selling handheld like Vita.

Well, that and for starters you'd have to assume X1 outsold PS4 for a given year for MS to even have a chance. 360 and PS3 continuing sales should be about even, maybe a slight but meaningless edge to 360 going by recent numbers.

The MS number is still weak considering. They've done significantly more 360's alone than that in years before. The +16% is actually pretty anemic for a year in which you get a boost from a 2nd console introduction, imo.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Consumers/Sony-tops-game-console-sales-for-1st-time-in-8-years

Yup. But it's not all roses.

Sony sold 18.7 million PS4s, PS3s, Vitas, and whatever other consoles they still sell. That is still 20% less than the previous fiscal year. PS4 is obviously doing well, but can't make up for the YoY losses of the other consoles they sell. That's also reflected financially. Dropping from 29.3 billion Yen operating income on 805 billion Yen revenue in FY2012 to 1.7 billion Yen operating income on 707.1 billion Yen revenue in FY2013. Hopefully, FY2014 will be better for them. But that all depends on whether PS4 can grow faster than the decreasing sales from their other consoles. IMO, it probably will. Still a bit concerning that for a corporation struggling to be profitable, out of the 8 divisions, game is the 2nd from the bottom in terms of YoY improvement. Only mobile products and communications was worse. Home entertainment and Sound still suffered the 2nd most losses in operative income, but actually managed to reduce how much they lost YoY (positive trend).

That's still better than Nintendo, however, which sold 16.31 million combined consoles, but dropped 31% YoY.

Microsoft is the only company that saw their overall console sales increase. Only 11.6 million combined consoles (XB1 and X360), but an increase of 16% YoY. XB1 is certainly underperforming compared to the PS4, however, X360 sales continue to be strong and thus provide for continuing growth for the console business. It'll be interesting to see where they stand once X360 sales die (probably in 1-2 years similar to PS2).

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure why Sony would be down, that strikes me as odd. It must be that their handheld sales, both Vita and PSP, must have declined enough to overcome hot PS4 sales? That's a lot of decline, I didn't think Vita sold that much before.

Their total console sales went down from 23.5M to 18.7M. Home consoles dropped from 16.5M to 14.6M and portables from 7.0M to 4.1M. FY12 still included PS2, whereas FY13 did not. FY13 had only two quarters with PS4 sales in it. Their console sales just before the launch of PS4 had dried up considerably compared to the previous year.

Page 25 in the document.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q4_sonypre.pdf

Lets not forget that in fiscal 2013 lots of people are waiting for next generation hardware, and that's won't help sales for the first half.

Their total console sales went down from 23.5M to 18.7M. Home consoles dropped from 16.5M to 14.6M and portables from 7.0M to 4.1M. FY12 still included PS2, whereas FY13 did not. FY13 had only two quarters with PS4 sales in it. Their console sales just before the launch of PS4 had dried up considerably compared to the previous year.

Page 25 in the document.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q4_sonypre.pdf
Also PS3 sales have taken a nose dive, Sony has got to announce a price cut at E3.

According to vgchartz (yeah, I know.....) 360 sales have fallen much more than PS3 sales.....

360 has held a good lead of PS3 in the US since release, but there aren't really reliable figures for the rest of the world (Save Japan where, well, duh). I'm sure both have dropped a lot since PS4 and Xbox One launched, but it's certainly plausible PS3 remains ahead in sales worldwide on a month to month basis.

As for Sony's overall figures, I imagine rapidly tapering off PSP sales in Japan also contributed to the decline.

Using Sony's worst market to draw any sort of conclusions says the analysis is flawed if for no other reason than we don't know the breakdown of PS2 to PS3 to PS4 and we don't know where the declines were happening and as was already pointed out this is a transition year. It wasn't that long ago that people were arguing that Sony's PS4 sales forecast for the most recent year was too ambitious now it seems on point if not modest.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised though we are having a debate in the E3 forum about whether or not Sony has done anything relevant in the past 8 years....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back