All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Sony's worst market to draw any sort of conclusions says the analysis is flawed if for no other reason than we don't know the breakdown of PS2 to PS3 to PS4 and we don't know where the declines were happening and as was already pointed out this is a transition year. It wasn't that long ago that people were arguing that Sony's PS4 sales forecast for the most recent year was too ambitious now it seems on point if not modest.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised though we are having a debate in the E3 forum about whether or not Sony has done anything relevant in the past 8 years....:rolleyes:

Did you bother to read the news article? Did you bother to read Sony's own financial reports. The numbers are worldwide. Not just for their "worst market." Unless you think worldwide sales are Sony's "worst market." :D

Regards,
SB

Did you bother to read the news article? Did you bother to read Sony's own financial reports. The numbers are worldwide. Not just for their "worst market." Unless you think worldwide sales are Sony's "worst market." :D

Regards,
SB

Yes, I read it and its difficult to see much when the figures are not broken down by platform (PS3 versus PS3 versus PS4) add that this was a transition year with a supply limited platform (PS4) arguably in the most demand and its hard to draw any conclusions from that data....

How many PS4s would have sold if supply had not been constrained? As I said we know the most about Sony's number in their weakest market. Too many unknowns to conclude much. Especially when sales down year of year is matched with the fastest selling new home gaming platform ever....

Yes, I read it and its difficult to see much when the figures are not broken down by platform (PS3 versus PS3 versus PS4) add that this was a transition year with a supply limited platform (PS4) arguably in the most demand and its hard to draw any conclusions from that data....

How many PS4s would have sold if supply had not been constrained? As I said we know the most about Sony's number in their weakest market. Too many unknowns to conclude much. Especially when sales down year of year is matched with the fastest selling new home gaming platform ever....

Sure, there could certainly be a discussion about the breakdown of individual console lines, but many of us, or at least I didn't talk about that. Only general console performance. I also noted that I expect PS4 to pick up the slack from lost sales of Sony's other consoles going forward. But if their other consoles fall off faster than their ability to manufacture and sell PS4's that's going to impact their bottom line quite significantly. Which is concerning considering the company has been teetering on whether it is profitable or not for almost a decade now.

However, none of that was relevant to the post I responded to where you went off accusing people of

Using Sony's worst market to draw any sort of conclusions ...<snip>

Guess I shouldn't be surprised though we are having a debate in the E3 forum about whether or not Sony has done anything relevant in the past 8 years....:rolleyes:

You seem to see something bad about Sony in an overall positive report (Nintendo no longer beating them in overall combined hardware sales) and then conclude that it must be drawn from cherry picked worst region without first investigating the source of the claim? A simple look at the various reports on this would have shown they were worldwide numbers sourced from Sony themselves. Not "worst market."

I also didn't notice where a lot of people were going off about how Sony hasn't done anything over the past 8 years? The post directly above yours only linked to an article from Japan about how this is the first time in 8 years that Sony has managed to beat Nintendo for total combined console hardware sales. A simple statement of fact, and something Sony should be proud of, is now suddenly implied by you to somehow mean Sony hasn't done anything relevant for 8 years? :)

Regards,
SB

Sure, there could certainly be a discussion about the breakdown of individual console lines, but many of us, or at least I didn't talk about that. Only general console performance. I also noted that I expect PS4 to pick up the slack from lost sales of Sony's other consoles going forward. But if their other consoles fall off faster than their ability to manufacture and sell PS4's that's going to impact their bottom line quite significantly. Which is concerning considering the company has been teetering on whether it is profitable or not for almost a decade now.

However, none of that was relevant to the post I responded to where you went off accusing people of

You seem to see something bad about Sony in an overall positive report (Nintendo no longer beating them in overall combined hardware sales) and then conclude that it must be drawn from cherry picked worst region without first investigating the source of the claim? A simple look at the various reports on this would have shown they were worldwide numbers sourced from Sony themselves. Not "worst market."

I also didn't notice where a lot of people were going off about how Sony hasn't done anything over the past 8 years? The post directly above yours only linked to an article from Japan about how this is the first time in 8 years that Sony has managed to beat Nintendo for total combined console hardware sales. A simple statement of fact, and something Sony should be proud of, is now suddenly implied by you to somehow mean Sony hasn't done anything relevant for 8 years? :)

Regards,
SB

it was deleted... Am I playing the game correctly now? :rolleyes:

My point was and is that the data has too much going on to draw any conclusions positive or negative. Funny I don't see you putting on your accountancy cap when people misuse numbers to bash Sony's outlook....

When you have a new platform that was arguably supply constrained for period in which you are looking at, no breakdown of units in all the markets to see what the growth of PS4 is relative to legacy platforms, a change in year over year sales which suggest negative outlook however this interpretation runs counter to press statements and anecdotal evidence that suggest PS4 is the best selling home console in the history of gaming its hard to conclude much beyond we need more of a trend line and a better down of relative sales of all the platforms.

Edit:

My comment at the end is what it is, my opinion. This forum can be somewhat less than objective or balanced at times hence a thread devoted largely whether or not Sony is relevant. Same can be said for some where MS is concerned although on balance MS is handled a bit more objectively around here. I could point to the trolling of Sony's E3 conference which had some surprising participants and some not some surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Immediate Post e3 Amazon PS4/X1

#1 Halo Collection
#7 PS4
#13 Watch Dogs PS4
#14 Dual Shock 4 PS4
#18 Xbox One wireless controller
#20 Second Son PS4
#23 AC Unity PS4
#25 Destiny PS4
#26 Kinectless Xbox One
#28 Forza Horizon 2 XBox One
#32 Fifa 14 PS4
#36 Xbox One +Titanfall
#38 AC Unity Xbox One
#40 Watch Dogs Xbox One
#44 Destiny Xbox One
#48 Sunset Overdrive Xbox One
#49 Call of Duty Ghosts Xbox One
#54 Halo 5 Guardians Xbox One
#59 Call of Duty Ghosts PS4
#60 Wireless Controller play n charge kit Xbox One
#69 Battlefield 4 PS4
#73 AC 4 PS4
#75 UFC PS4
#76 COD Advanced Warfare Xbox One
#78 Titanfall Xbox One
#80 Far Cry 4 PS4
#81 Fifa 14 PS4
#87 PS4 camera
#93 Dead Rising 3 Xbox One
#96 Xbox One with Kinect (no idea why anybody would buy this instead of Titanfall bundle)
#97 Xbox One stereo headset adapter
#98 Killzone Shadowfall PS4
#100 UFC Xbox One

Whew that's a lot of titles. Hopefully I didn't miss any. Next gen taking over the top 100.

COD for XB1 is shown twice in the list

Must have been corrected now as there are no duplicates in the list. There is COD Ghost for xb1 and ps4 then COD advanced warfare for xb1.

Yeah I corrected it it was supposed to be COD Ghosts for PS4 but I put the wrong platform the second time, so there was COD Ghosts for X1 twice. Just didn't feel like it was worth a post or edit to note the correction.

Amazon is very in flux right now with a lot of stuff on the rise temporarily after E3. Might do another in a while or maybe somebody else will.

Also I didn't include points cards (which are kind of multi-gen) or non-1st party accessories, etc. Feels a bit haphazard, maybe I should just do games and systems only, whatever. Probably could have put Wii U in the party too.

Mario Kart 8 still in the top 5 on Amazon. Should be interesting to watch how long it takes to fall out of the top 25. Nintendo games have traditionally had very good legs, but this is also the poorest selling console Nintendo has had.

Amazon.com's rankings:

1. Halo Collection - XB1
4. White PS4 Destiny Bundle
8. PS4 Console
11. GTA V - PS4
13. Assassin's Creed Unity - PS4
14. PS4 Controller
15. Watch Dogs - PS4
19. The Order: 1886 Premium Edition - PS4
20. Destiny - PS4
23. Infamous: Second Son - PS4
25. The Order: 1886 - PS4
28. Assassin's Creed Unity Collector's Edition - PS4

30. Xbox One Controller
33. Far Cry 4 - PS4
34. Forza Horizon 2 - XB1
36. The Last of Us Remastered - PS4
37. Assassin's Creed Unity - XB1
39. Kinectless Xbox One System

41. Uncharted 4 - PS4
43. Fifa 4 - PS4

46. Destiny - XB1
47. Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset
49. Xbox One Titanfall Bundle
54. Sunset Overdrive - XB1
56. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare - XB1
59. Watch Dogs - XB1

60. PS4 Camera
62. Halo 5 Guardians - XB1
64. Call of Duty Ghosts - XB1

66. Call of Duty Ghosts - PS4
68. Xbox One Controller + Play & Charge Kit
72. Batman Arkham Knight - PS4
73. Assassin's Creed IV - PS4
78. Little Big Planet 3 - PS4
79. Battlefield 4 - PS4
84. UFC - PS4
85. Killzone Shadow Fall - PS4

91. Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter
93. Wolfenstein - PS4
95. DS4 Controller Charging Station

Sony's conference was later, so PS4 pre-orders seemed to have picked up.

I think the white Destiny PS4 bundle should give the PS4 a nice boost in sales in September.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the white Destiny PS4 bundle should give the PS4 a nice boost in sales in September.

Yeah considering Destiny's high ranking on Amazon it should give the PS4 a nice sales boost. On the other hand MS's white XB1 will be released later this year too...hopefully they'll have a similar bundle with another game to boost sales.

ventas.jpg

I thought One would get a nice bump with the pricedrop, but is having the same effect nonofficial pricedrops had in march... none.

They have a more expensive/ less powerful system.
If the Xbox One + Kinect + Biggest Xbox exclusive of the year (aka Titanfall) for 449 didn't sell. Why would you expect the

Xbox One + ..... to sell for only 50 dollar less? it has significantly less value.

The price change won't do anything in the existing marktets. We need to look at september how the One will perform in the new areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back