All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reception feels the same as for Pro, slightly tappered by higher price tag. I've since listend to the Kotaku, Giant Bomb and IGN podcasts and the question of "who is this for?" is common, just as it was asked for Pro. It's not sold out anywhere near me, even the Scorpio Edition is plentifully available and I can see myself getting one for the office in maybe a year.

In Switzerland it is not good too but it is not a country where the xbox brand is strong...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-11-10-softly-softly-the-xbox-one-x-launch

It seems the Xbox One X launch was quiet, imo it is not a surprise too expensive for launch with a fanfare. It seems the PS4 PRo launch was better and made more noise...

EDIT: It is only an editorial no value before sales...
Like I said before, they are one year too late, or 2 years too early.

- One year too late because last year 14-16nm tech was already available...
- 2/3 years early because in 2/3 years 7nm tech will be available...

IHS had upped their prediction of 2017 xb1x sales from 500k to 900k because there is more volume at launch than expected.

The xb1s sales had dropped significantly throughout 2017 and that slump was suposed to be because everybody is waiting for X. Doesn't look like it. IHS now expects the same 20% ratio as Pro, but the Pro didn't canibalize slim sales.

Sony didn't drop the pro price yet, but they might increase the pro/slim ratio once they do that. Cuh7100 teardown have shown only minor cost cutting, so it's also possible they'll simply take it as profit instead, with price drop only for 2018.

I'm surprised they're saying that high of a number for Xbox One X. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they hit 1 million within the first 9 months of launch.

The Xbox One S looks to be around $190 range during Black Friday. Some stores might have additional bundles with it, but that seems to be the typical BF price.

It was a good 2nd quarter for them, but you have some misinformation there... Assassins Creed and South Park launched on Q3 and are not included in those sales numbers. Q3 fiscal will be a lot bigger than these Q2 numbers. Q2 numbers are up to end of September and consists mostly of back catalog sales, while Mario + Rabbids brought in a nice chunk as well.

Thanks you are correct. Got that mixed up as it was in their 1H 2017/2018 report and press release alongside Mario + Rabbids.

Regards,
SB

I'm surprised they're saying that high of a number for Xbox One X. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they hit 1 million within the first 9 months of launch.
Yup. This is the same market that lapped up 360 and PS3 with awful resolutions and framerates in many games, running from crappy HDDs. By comparison base PS4 and Xbox One are stellar technical performers. The market for those who want just a little bit more has to be tiny. I'm really pleased Microsoft and Sony companies have experimented with this but I can't see sales performance resulting in any further mid-generations consoles if graphics are the only differentiator.

Yup. This is the same market that lapped up 360 and PS3 with awful resolutions and framerates in many games, running from crappy HDDs. By comparison base PS4 and Xbox One are stellar technical performers. The market for those who want just a little bit more has to be tiny. I'm really pleased Microsoft and Sony companies have experimented with this but I can't see sales performance resulting in any further mid-generations consoles if graphics are the only differentiator.

20% of PS4 sales is pretty good, probably nearly 5 millions PS4 Pro end of 2017... If PS5 arrive fall 2019, 10 to 15 millions PS4 Pro end of 2019... And it is not like last time when the console stay too long on market, it will continue to sell after PS5 arrival...

The cross generation will be smoother this time...

IHS had upped their prediction of 2017 xb1x sales from 500k to 900k because there is more volume at launch than expected.

The xb1s sales had dropped significantly throughout 2017 and that slump was suposed to be because everybody is waiting for X. Doesn't look like it. IHS now expects the same 20% ratio as Pro, but the Pro didn't canibalize slim sales.

Sony didn't drop the pro price yet, but they might increase the pro/slim ratio once they do that. Cuh7100 teardown have shown only minor cost cutting, so it's also possible they'll simply take it as profit instead, with price drop only for 2018.

The sales will be front loaded IMHO, once the hardcore have their units sales will trickle. Sony will only drop Pro price if XBOX sales are stellar and from what I can gather (stock freely available) I can't see it happening. Sony seemed to have perfectly balanced all their recent hardware launches with price and stock.

The Xbox One S looks to be around $190 range during Black Friday. Some stores might have additional bundles with it, but that seems to be the typical BF price.

It surely should easily hit 1m and be nearer 2m after 9 months?

Sony announced their BF deals, the PSVR Gran Turismo bundle at 299. And also PS4 1TB at 199.

They made it happen, I can finally change my signature!

20% of PS4 sales is pretty good, probably nearly 5 millions PS4 Pro end of 2017... If PS5 arrive fall 2019, 10 to 15 millions PS4 Pro end of 2019... And it is not like last time when the console stay too long on market, it will continue to sell after PS5 arrival...
20% of PS4 sales (1 PS4 Pro sold for every 4 PS4) is not good when you consider that PS4 had a 45 million head start. Every day passes PS4 Pro's relative user base to the PS4 gets smaller. That's brutal but accurate market penetration math and I did not need 4.2Tf to calculate it. :yep2:

But mid-gen was never supposed to replace the normal sku. In terms of user base and software sales it's literally the same generation. The important metric is how many normal+midgen they continue to sell to new users. And the bar for success is for that number to be higher than if midgen sku didn't exist.

Last edited:
20% of PS4 sales (1 PS4 Pro sold for every 4 PS4) is not good when you consider that PS4 had a 45 million head start. Every day passes PS4 Pro's relative user base to the PS4 gets smaller. That's brutal but accurate market penetration math and I did not need 4.2Tf to calculate it. :yep2:

Mid gen are not for replace standard SKU. They are here for gamer enthusiast...

This seems important to understand but I don't understand ;) can you explain this one, I think I get it, but i don't get it. Perhaps I've too much on my mind.

I think you mean larger not smaller

No. While the number of 4Pro owners would increase, the GAP between PS4 owners to 4Pro owners grows by that 4:1 ratio, for instance for every 4 million PS4 gains there is only 1 million 4Pro gain, so the gap grows by +3 million. If there's another 1 million 4Pro sold then there's another 4 million PS4s sold and the gap grows +3 million again.

I've said all along that XBX will have a huge launch and sell VERY well in the first few months. It is a significant upgrade over base XB1 and XB still has a fairly large core fan base, who are hungry for a more powerful system. Plus they have a huge marketing push for it. I would not be surprised if XBX outsells XB1S during this holiday season.

The question is, will XBX continue to sell well once they saturate their core market. My guess is no; it's a niche $500 console and it will start to trend towards PS4/PS4Pro splits after 4-6 months after release.

It will be interesting to see which midgen sells more in the end. My guess is the Pro will have a much slower start, but it will have steadier sales, whereas XBX will be heavily frontloaded.

No way a $500 system will out sell a $199 version that plays the same games. Most people do not have 4k TVs and there is still a huge number of casuals who never upgraded the 360/PS3 and don't care for "Powa!". The BF bundles will bury the XBX in Nov.

No way a $500 system will out sell a $199 version that plays the same games. Most people do not have 4k TVs and there is still a huge number of casuals who never upgraded the 360/PS3 and don't care for "Powa!". The BF bundles will bury the XBX in Nov.
But it is sort of a mini new console launch that will have virtually no supply issues, with months of pre-orders. It is more of a new console than Pro is because it's ~4.5x the power of the base system, and XB still has a fairly large core fanbase. Pair that with XB1 sales trending downwards and it would again be no surprise to me if XBX outsells XB1S this holiday season. I don't necessarily think that it WILL happen, but I think the split will be closer to 50/50 than you may think.

After launch it will be a whole different story though.

Edit: I misremembered how many systems were moved during the holidays, so basically disregard everything I said. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back