[360, PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

AlStrong, how do you tell just by looking at the trailer? I'm curious how you do it. I haven't see the videos yet.

Oh, slightly off topic, but does anyone remember what's the resolution for COD3 on the 360 and PS3? Were they both of the same, or was it different? I recall one or both of them didn't run at 720p.
All the informations you need should be here , thanks to Alstrong for his constant efforts to keep the lists up to date :)

Indeed...I play COD4 competitively on PC even today on a daily basis & I can very well tell that the ground & other textures in this game are avg. to bad & the competitive mod on which we play [Pro mod] strips the game off from most of its graphical capabilities like Shadows,Particles & what not.

But in the end I notice it for like the first 5 minutes the day I played it for the first time & then those thoughts NEVER came back into my mind. I am pretty sure that its the same case with the console version's sub HD reso as well. Atleast the console players are not the guys who play the game with no shadows,particles & special effects :p

Compared to other PC titles, CoD4 is pretty ugly in many ways, but as long as it's going 60 fps, or close to it, it's not a big deal. I will say that the multiplayer experience benefits from higher resolutions since hiding in grass and what not actually breaks up your profile and makes you difficult to see, much more so than in other games (IWs color artists did a great job in this regard). In the larger levels like the one in the Russian setting with all the grass, running the game at 1920 x 1080 gives you a very big advantage over those playing at a much lower resolution like 1280 x 720. Problem is you really need alot of GPU power to get that kind of resolution if you want to get 60 fps, and it's still wanting to take dips when alot of crap is on screen that the console versions otherwise don't have to deal with. It gives the 9800M GS 512 MB (mobile version of the 9600GT) in my laptop a real workout dipping below 50 fps alot even at 1366 x 768 even without AA. I had constant 60 fps with the 8800GTS 320 MB @ 1440 x 900 w/ 4xAA in my last desktop build, and I'm itching to try out CoD4 with the Radeon 4670 1 GB in my new build. Its in this resolution issue and using a controller that makes playing CoD4 on consoles a pain in the butt for me though. However arguably on the PC the gameplay itself is more brutal since there is the potential for many more players and all the other PC gamers on their are getting the same benefits as you being on a PC hence why the idea of playing MW2 MP purely on a gamepad would be supremely stupid in the PC version. I'm going to assume the video is the 360 version. I don't think IW would be like Capcom pulling punches on console gamers by showing off the PC build of Lost Planet 2 and telling them to expect it to be just as nice and smooth in the 360 version.

This trailer is a little more difficult. E3 was easier in finding a good edge. :)

Ok, but do you just stare at the screen to count the pixels or what? I know it'll look a little blurrier, but you got the resolution nailed down exactly. Or is it because of experience from the previous 2 COD games that both ran at the same resolution and you guessed based on that?

Pretty much. The exact figure is based on a ratio of steps per pixel. In this case, there are 5 steps for every six vertical pixels, hence 600. The horizontal res is a different ratio.

The guy in that vid is dominating. Looks like there are some nice new effects. The blood spray on the camera is pretty cool looking. The smoke tracers on rockets is pretty cool.

It's going to be a good one.

Throwing knives is cool. I guess you won't show up on the radar.

Nice Trailer ! I would like to see some PC footage! I think this was a console!
Also, I need to see some Campaign too. COD to me was always about a very intense camaign. Sure, I have played COD and COD2 MP in studios I worked(latenights used to be COD hours :p), but COD4 was all campaign to me. Never got into a match in MP, mostly coz its fun when u have friends in a LAN setup! I wish to see more COD6 campaign footage , as that is where my time will get invested.

I'm waiting for this game eagerly...COD is a bit on hawt side in my Country when it comes to organized gaming events & I dont see MW2 being an exception.

I have to say, after starting up Call of Duty: WoW the other day (on PS3), some flaws are an absolute disgrace in my eyes to the point that Treyarch should have the plug pulled on them and if InfinityWard are guilty of the same, so should they.

• For one - after continuing the SP game (I never completed it) up to about 2/3rds of the game, then quitting the game to later rejoin it again, my entire progress was lost and gone. I now can start from the beginning again. No idea what happened and I don't really care - this shouldn't happen! No message, no error, nothing! Simply started the game, wanted to continue and all the chapters are blanked out with only the first being available. WTF??

• Then, there's the problem that the stats don't work properly in the online mode. At times, weapons that you have unlocked will still stay locked and your rankings bar would be way over its 100% instead of jumping to the next level... how long did they need to solve this?

• Glitching. It's still not solved. There are still levels where glitching is possible and done to the annoyance of others.

• The last flaw I've encountered is this one: If you join a friends party with some of them having some of the optional mappacks installed - the game doesn't lower the game selection the lowest common denominator (i.e. the one without the map pack installed) - No! It doesn't (seriously!). If you are (un)fortunate enough to get a level that is indeed from the mappack, it simply throws you out of the game before it starts.

To have such flaws in the game as a bug is one thing, but to have them in and not do anything about it for months is another! Did Call of Duty 4 have anything like this?

I really could care less if the game is by Treyarch or InfinityWard - it's the same series, by the same publisher. It shouldn't make a difference. This is very worrying IMO and simply not acceptable.

I may have to rethink my support for the upcoming CoD6. :devilish:

I have to say, after starting up Call of Duty: WoW the other day (on PS3), some flaws are an absolute disgrace in my eyes to the point that Treyarch should have the plug pulled on them and if InfinityWard are guilty of the same, so should they.

Treyarch = junk Infinity ward = class

[*]For one - after continuing the SP game (I never completed it) up to about 2/3rds of the game, then quitting the game to later rejoin it again, my entire progress was lost and gone. I now can start from the beginning again. No idea what happened and I don't really care - this shouldn't happen! No message, no error, nothing! Simply started the game, wanted to continue and all the chapters are blanked out with only the first being available. WTF??
Doesn't happend CoD4.

[*]Then, there's the problem that the stats don't work properly in the online mode. At times, weapons that you have unlocked will still stay locked and your rankings bar would be way over its 100% instead of jumping to the next level... how long did they need to solve this?

Doesn't happend in CoD4 (everything is updated at all times, and once you unlock something its unlocked.)

[*]Glitching. It's still not solved. There are still levels where glitching is possible and done to the annoyance of others.

Infinity Ward games in general have a lot less bugs than Treyarch. Only things ive seen in CoD4 is being able to jump to roofs and places where you dont normally can get, which can give you an advantage vs noobs, not glitching thought, as your not under the map or hidden inside a wall or anything.

[*]The last flaw I've encountered is this one: If you join a friends party with some of them having some of the optional mappacks installed - the game doesn't lower the game selection the lowest common denominator (i.e. the one without the map pack installed) - No! It doesn't (seriously!). If you are (un)fortunate enough to get a level that is indeed from the mappack, it simply throws you out of the game before it starts.

CoD4 party system selects the lowest common denominator.
To have such flaws in the game as a bug is one thing, but to have them in and not do anything about it for months is another! Did Call of Duty 4 have anything like this?

No. As said before, Infinity Ward makes class AAA products, little to no bugs, good network code, and good support.
I really could care less if the game is by Treyarch or InfinityWard - it's the same series, by the same publisher. It shouldn't make a difference. This is very worrying IMO and simply not acceptable.
You should care, Treyarch has a terrible track record, while Infinity Ward has developed ALL the good games in the series, Treyarch is just there to boost sales in between the Inifinity Ward releases.
I may have to rethink my support for the upcoming CoD6. :devilish:

You shouldn't, as again, all infinity ward games has been excellent. (You should pass on all the junk that treyarch makes thought)

Thanks for the headsup Ostepop. I thought as much, but given that CoD5 is basically the CoD4 engine with a new setting, theme, I also assumed most elements (even the multiplayer) is borrowed from CoD4 with the occasional new feature here and there.

I only ever played CoD4 at a friends place (I don't own that one) and from what I seemed to remember, the multiplayer aspect is the same, at least for most modes, the way you level up and the perks. Given that I never played it online, I wasn't sure if it did indeed have the same flaws I'm encountering now in CoD5. To hear it's different is good news indeed.

Ostepop said:
You should care, Treyarch has a terrible track record, while Infinity Ward has developed ALL the good games in the series, Treyarch is just there to boost sales in between the Inifinity Ward releases.

I guess you're right. Despite this though, the uninformed user rarely looks at who's the developer but simply buys the name for the series. In that sense, Treyarch fall and rise with InfinityWard and vice versa. Ubisoft should definately enforce more strict policies on their "make some cheap bucks games", as stuff like this has the power to negatively impact future titles.

Guess I'm just fed up of losing my SP progress and combined with all the other flaws we have to put up in CoD5 (which other wise would be a great MP game!) is just enough.

....... not glitching thought, as your not under the map or hidden inside a wall or anything.

incorrect, cod4 has far less glitches it is not perfect!! there is still at least 1 glitch that is known that you access by jumping up and down until your in the wall, you can kill people but you cant be seen at all.

as far as the whole map pack thing, cod4 only had 1 map pack so you cant say for sure it wouldn't have done the same thing. w@w did put people in separate lobbies when only 1 map pack was out.

im not an advocate of w@w(I hate that game) but fair is fair

Thanks for the headsup Ostepop. I thought as much, but given that CoD5 is basically the CoD4 engine with a new setting, theme, I also assumed most elements (even the multiplayer) is borrowed from CoD4 with the occasional new feature here and there.

Yeah, on paper you would think so, but Treyarch manages to **** up everything that they get from Infinity Ward. CoD2 was like CoD4 a very well done game with few bugs (it lacked some online features, but hey, launch X360 game).CoD3 which was made by treyarch, build upon the same engine etc, but was full of bugs and glitches. Same goes with CoD4 -> CoD5. I dunno if they are incompetent or if its just because they try to make the odd numbers in the series (except for CoD1) as cheap as possible, and hence the bugs.

I guess you're right. Despite this though, the uninformed user rarely looks at who's the developer but simply buys the name for the series. In that sense, Treyarch fall and rise with InfinityWard and vice versa. Ubisoft should definately enforce more strict policies on their "make some cheap bucks games", as stuff like this has the power to negatively impact future titles.

Agreed (but this is an Activision title not ubisoft, however same applies to ubisoft games )

Xbox 360 Limited Edition Console

Looks like you can add a 3rd SKU back onto Microsoft's list(albeit temporarily)...

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Special Edition Console

• an exclusive design inspired by the epic thriller
  • a 250GB Hard Drive
  • two Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers
  • Xbox 360 Headset
  • Standard Edition copy of "Modern Warfare 2"
  • retail price of $399.99 (USD)
  • pre-order now, available November 10

500x_mw32.jpg

System(1).jpg

500x_mw31.jpg

xbox.jpg