[360, PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

The FAL is the best rifle for sniping, but the thick circle on the iron sights make it really hard to track distant enemies, I basically have to find them by aiming my sights elsewhere and then bring the crosshairs over them, which takes time.

Sounds to me like your utilizing an uneffective aiming method.

Locate the enemy and track without ironsights (hip fire), then if long range, pull up sights, and fire. You should never be spending time in ironsights trying to find enemies or aim at them. The reason is that when in ironsight mode, your movement and aim speed is piss poor.

I never look for enemies with ironsight. Ironsights should just be used to ensure accuracy after you have located and aimed for the guy in hip fire.

Sounds to me like your utilizing an uneffective aiming method.

Locate the enemy and track without ironsights (hip fire), then if long range, pull up sights, and fire. You should never be spending time in ironsights trying to find enemies or aim at them. The reason is that when in ironsight mode, your movement and aim speed is piss poor.

I never look for enemies with ironsight. Ironsights should just be used to ensure accuracy after you have located and aimed for the guy in hip fire.

Well if you're running and gunning, you're obviously not going to walk around with sights up.

But if you're trying to snipe (or counter snipe), then it's kinda hard to make out stationary targets without bringing your sights up.

Tbh, unless its extremely long range, when you snipe you should still spend as little time as possible in scope.

Well, I usually countersnipe, and my targets are quite tiny and usually stationary or well camoflaged (being snipers), like most of their body would fit within the ring at the end of the FAL's iron sights. It's nearly impossible to see them while unscoped.

I find the iron sights on the SCAR to be the best for sniping, followed by the TAR and the UMP45

Together with the Resurgence pack something interested has happened. Patch 1.11 for PS3 adds a new game mode called Objective Barebones Pro, which is playlist for objective based games (Domination, Capture the flag, Demolition, Sabotage, S&D) without killstreaks. Basically what I was missing from this game.

After a long break from MW2 I've started playing again in this new mode and having lots of fun. The new maps are not too bad either, Carnival being my new favorite map. Vacant I also like, although for people who played COD4 is old news.

Well, I just received my copy of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfware the other day and as I'm making my way through campaign for the first time, I'm a bit surprised to see that it has aged a bit compared to MW2. Not by much though, but the level of refignment is quite a lot higher in MW2 and that really makes you appreciate it after coming directly from CoD4.

Coming back to MW2, I started playing it online again (after a longer break) and it hasn't done my K/D any favours. I have finally started using sniper rifles though and it is a lot of fun. I'm still a bit confused though - I was under the impression FMJ + Stopping Power Pro on the Barret .50 was always a definite "1 shot kill", irregardless where I hit him? I have encountered quite a few hits that didn't end up in a kill. I didn't use a supressor btw.
Is the Invervention better because of the slightly added range?

Also, does anyone know how well the other rifle, the M21 stacks up with FMJ + Stopping Power?

The game is very unbalanced against sniper rifles. The game is glitchy / laggy when a sniper + FMJ + stopping power won't kill. I experienced it too often; I'd pull off a shot clear across the longest parts of a map and the guy wouldn't die, instead he'd fire half a mag of an assault rifle at me using the deadly spray and pray technique to kill me. It's quite disappointing.

The game is very unbalanced against sniper rifles. The game is glitchy / laggy when a sniper + FMJ + stopping power won't kill. I experienced it too often; I'd pull off a shot clear across the longest parts of a map and the guy wouldn't die, instead he'd fire half a mag of an assault rifle at me using the deadly spray and pray technique to kill me. It's quite disappointing.

Reason: you're doing it wrong.

some facts and personal suggestions:
FMJ doesn't increase your damage
you're "probably" using a wrong rifle
Intervention is by many standards inferior to Barret .50 (and I am serious)
limb shots never one shot one kill, unless in hardcore
stop firing from well known sniper spots.
stay away from firing teammates
move after you kill a few people (unless your team is controlling their spawn point)
don't be keen on taking the "perfect shot", a low accuracy, quick shot(and hiding after the shot) is often better than a high accuracy, well aimed one.
Practice sniping without holding your breath, aka. learn to control having the crosshair "move onto" the enemy and then firing, mastering this greatly increases your rate of "killable" fire, as your second shots now can kill and you start not to mind painkillers.

Strange, trust us, the game is very unbalanced when comparing sniper rifles and assault rifles.

Thanks for the tipps. I guess I was following up on popular misconception that FMJ + Stopping Power is a definite "one-shot-kill" on the .50. It's quite evident that this isn't so and that it still very much depends where you get the hit. In example, a limb shot will not result in an automatic kill. Generally, anything above the legs does.

There are players though that walk around with the perk that keeps you alive and effectively gives you a second life. Those require two shots too.

Just found this, which is very interesting:

http://denkirson.xanga.com/715966769/modern-warfare-2/

So it seems:

• Bullet damage decreases over distance except with rifles
  • Headshots are not a definite kill with every weapon
  • FMJ does not increase damage, only makes it go through walls
  • Stopping Power increases damage (+1.4 multiplyer if I'm reading it right)
  • Stopping Power Pro doesn't increase damage further (only against vehicles)
  • All sniper rifles have identical damage and range attributes (even the M21), though not the same multiplier on where you hit someone
  • The UMP45 is probably the best allround weapon in the game (range/damage)

FAMAS is the best weapon, hands down. ;)

EDIT: Without a 360 you really missed out on our frequent large group games :(

FAMAS is the best weapon, hands down. ;)

EDIT: Without a 360 you really missed out on our frequent large group games :(

Yeah, I really liked the FAMAS, but then once I realised it was only a 3-shot weapon (Imagine, I only found out when I started to spray in panic which was seldon at the time), I quickly moved on. I personally highly rate the ACR in combination with stopping power, but since I started playing with the .50 barret + ACOG + stopping power, the game has just immensily increased its fun factor for me.

I had to delete the two map packs though, since sniping in levels you don't know is a real death sentence every single time, and for some reason, the game makes you play them 90% of the time, even if you're playing normal modes.

I have to say, I'm also quite disappointed that they axed "mosh pit". I liked the mix between all mission types.

Josh: Yeah, I know. It's a shame really, since there aren't many that still play MW2 on my friends list. For that I do envy you Xbox lot.. :(

Borrowed a copy of my friend's and was curious to chk out the phenomena that is sweeping the consoles, but haven't been able to play online at all :( ! I press the "Play Online" button and it shows me a dialogue box which says "Connecting to Matchmaking servers" and nnothing happens after that. That message box stays for hours, have tried it like 20 times now andcannot connect to a single online game.

I am on the ps3. ALso, the game updated to a 17mb patch, 1.13. Is that all? I mean, its an old MP intensive game andI thought it would have a gazzillion updates.

Any help on getting me online !

RenegadeRocks said:
Borrowed a copy of my friend's and was curious to chk out the phenomena that is sweeping the consoles, but haven't been able to play online at all :( ! I press the "Play Online" button and it shows me a dialogue box which says "Connecting to Matchmaking servers" and nnothing happens after that. That message box stays for hours, have tried it like 20 times now andcannot connect to a single online game.

I am on the ps3. ALso, the game updated to a 17mb patch, 1.13. Is that all? I mean, its an old MP intensive game andI thought it would have a gazzillion updates.

Any help on getting me online !

Borrow mw3 instead! It works!

Patch size seems to be in order thought! only content takes up material space and netcode is just code. As in lines of text. Patches on mw3 is only slightly bigger

Last edited by a moderator:
Back